Dog Culture

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As a retired bastard, I find that more and more of my friends and acquaintances are having their lives impacted (and enriched?) by their family dogs. I've thought about getting a dog myself, but when they made the rule about having to pick up the dog's Schidt, I pretty much dropped the thought.

The other day, two friends who are choir members told me that they had to miss choir practice because they were watching their "grand-dog," who requires a lot of personal attention. This is a choir that, in the Covid Era, has only a dozen or so members, so missing the two of them was significant. And the dog is too sensitive to remain in a cage for two hours?

Other friends literally never go on vacation because it's such a hassle finding a place that will accept their dog(s), and putting them in a kennel is so expensive. They leave social events early because the dogs will be tearing up the house if they are out too long (true).

Often the dogs are totally untrained, so that people don't visit the households because they don't want to be pestered constantly by the dogs. And I'm really not interested in tales of funny things the dogs have gotten into. (I am not MUCH interested in stories about the grand-kids, much less the dogs).

Dogs can be a significant expense, especially when they get older. Dog food is generally cheap, but veterinarians have to make a living, eh? Cancer treatments, shots for diabetes, regular visits...they add up.

I see more of my neighbors when they are walking their dogs than at any other time. For most of the dog-walkers, I'd bet that they have no other hobby or avocation that takes up as much time as their 2 or three-a-day dog walks - which are not cancelled when the weather gets bad.

Then of course when the dogs die, they are devastated for months - much more so than when a close relative dies.

I think it's perverse. I understand that there are times when having a dog enriches one's life, but the trade-offs make no sense to me.

There are trade-offs with dogs, but they are great! I've met so many neighbors walking my dog. I walk up to five miles a day because of my pup. I also take my dog to training. When we travel, we will put her in a doggie "hotel." A dog isn't for everyone. You shouldn't get one unless you really want one - there are too many bad owners out there. But they certainly have enriched our lives.

1. dogs are smarter than humans
2. I have my dog for friendship, but also to KILL any bastard criminal
3. dogs are more LOYAL than humans
4. $$ depends on how well you take care of the dog, usually ....
5. visitors????!! simple!! put the dog in another room when someone visits!!!!!!!!!!!
6. you bet?? you LOSE....a lot of dog walkers are youngsters..I have MUCH to do --but still walk my dog --for my and her exercise
7. etc etc

..criminals don't like dogs
..dogs give warnings of anyone NEAR your property
..etc etc to infinity

Training a dog properly is a very time consuming proposition, and it never actually ends.

I don't deny that there are rewards. Some of the most obnoxious people I know have dogs who "love" them, and they revel in that fact.

I have had dogs my entire life. And do not intend to be without one for long.

Yes, there are sacrifices. Vacations are trickier, unless you board them. Schedules have to be maintained ect ect

But a dog is a better example of unconditional love than any person I have ever met.

Dog Trust.jpg

Dogs will do anything for you just because they love you ...

I'm definitely a dog-person, though I currently don't own one, and for all the reason given in the OP ... it was different with my sons living at home, the chores of dog-ownership could be divided up and not be so onerous ... or is that odorous? ... no small task considering my fondness for Newfy's ...

As a retired bastard, I find that more and more of my friends and acquaintances are having their lives impacted (and enriched?) by their family dogs. I've thought about getting a dog myself, but when they made the rule about having to pick up the dog's Schidt, I pretty much dropped the thought.

The other day, two friends who are choir members told me that they had to miss choir practice because they were watching their "grand-dog," who requires a lot of personal attention. This is a choir that, in the Covid Era, has only a dozen or so members, so missing the two of them was significant. And the dog is too sensitive to remain in a cage for two hours?

Other friends literally never go on vacation because it's such a hassle finding a place that will accept their dog(s), and putting them in a kennel is so expensive. They leave social events early because the dogs will be tearing up the house if they are out too long (true).

Often the dogs are totally untrained, so that people don't visit the households because they don't want to be pestered constantly by the dogs. And I'm really not interested in tales of funny things the dogs have gotten into. (I am not MUCH interested in stories about the grand-kids, much less the dogs).

Dogs can be a significant expense, especially when they get older. Dog food is generally cheap, but veterinarians have to make a living, eh? Cancer treatments, shots for diabetes, regular visits...they add up.

I see more of my neighbors when they are walking their dogs than at any other time. For most of the dog-walkers, I'd bet that they have no other hobby or avocation that takes up as much time as their 2 or three-a-day dog walks - which are not cancelled when the weather gets bad.

Then of course when the dogs die, they are devastated for months - much more so than when a close relative dies.

I think it's perverse. I understand that there are times when having a dog enriches one's life, but the trade-offs make no sense to me.

Get yourself a dog and you will understand it.

Pets are a nescience, feed the cat people tuna and the dog, leftovers.

One of the really nice things about dogs is even though they probably don't understand why you do most things, you never get the impression that they are consider you perverse over it.

Forum List

Back