Dog Culture

There are trade-offs with dogs, but they are great! I've met so many neighbors walking my dog. I walk up to five miles a day because of my pup. I also take my dog to training. When we travel, we will put her in a doggie "hotel." A dog isn't for everyone. You shouldn't get one unless you really want one - there are too many bad owners out there. But they certainly have enriched our lives.
I love love LOVE dogs.

If all those vaccines I had been given in childhood hadn't made me so allergic to them, I would definitely have one. Some vaccine adjuncts have canine Kidney cells that can end up ruining a person's immune system for life. . . like mine.

If I get dog saliva on my skin or in my eyes, I am itching for hours and hours afterward. If enough are around, or the person is a poor housekeeper, it will trigger an asthma attack.

I am sorry you cannot be around dogs.

Boy if we had the same attitude about ALL of Americas children as we do for our dogs, we would have no childhood hunger, abuse, and sexual slavery.

Food for thought

Given the number of abused dogs we have in our country, I respectfully disagree with you.
Sorry dude! I have an awful habit of answering these side threads without looking where I am. Sorry. i'll nix that post,

There are trade-offs with dogs, but they are great! I've met so many neighbors walking my dog. I walk up to five miles a day because of my pup. I also take my dog to training. When we travel, we will put her in a doggie "hotel." A dog isn't for everyone. You shouldn't get one unless you really want one - there are too many bad owners out there. But they certainly have enriched our lives.
I love love LOVE dogs.

If all those vaccines I had been given in childhood hadn't made me so allergic to them, I would definitely have one. Some vaccine adjuncts have canine Kidney cells that can end up ruining a person's immune system for life. . . like mine.

If I get dog saliva on my skin or in my eyes, I am itching for hours and hours afterward. If enough are around, or the person is a poor housekeeper, it will trigger an asthma attack.

Sorry to hear that. When my husband and I were dating he told me he had allergies and asthma and was allergic to dogs. I said that would be a problem...

Happy ending. Thanks presumably to flooding, he is no longer allergic to dogs. He says he'll occasionally get itchy eyes if he pets a dog than touches his eye but otherwise all is well.

I love love LOVE dogs.

Sorry to hear that. When my husband and I were dating he told me he had allergies and asthma and was allergic to dogs. I said that would be a problem...

Happy ending. Thanks presumably to flooding, he is no longer allergic to dogs. He says he'll occasionally get itchy eyes if he pets a dog than touches his eye but otherwise all is well.
Different breeds are cleaner than others, and if I didn't have a disability and was an energetic and more fastidious house keeper and energetic trainer that kept a dog to restricted areas of living areas... . it probably wouldn't be so much of a problem.

. . . but I don't have much space.

So it would be cruel to both me and a canine pal to keep one.

I love love LOVE dogs.

I am sorry you cannot be around dogs.
I know myself.

I can be around them, I just have to be careful. After I pet or play with them. . . I just have to make sure to wash up before I touch my face or scratch, and change my clothes as soon as I get home.

I have had dogs my entire life up until the last 6 months. In that time, we have only had one that demanded constant attention and couldn't be left alone without tearing up the house---a pitbull. I personally find that beagles or mixed breeds are the easiest dogs to have and I also find that female dogs are more chill than male dogs. It wasn't unusual for me to come home and find a kitten trying to wrestle it riding around on my last female beagles back. She didn't much give a poop about anything other than eating, sleeping, and me walking her. That dog even taught herself to use the cat litterbox. I haven't replaced her yet only because I don't know of anybody needing to find a home for a beagle. I don't go out of my way to look for dogs. I just wait until I know of one needing a home through people I know. The local shelter's rules for adoption are so over the top, there is no way I would ever be allowed to have one of theirs. I may ask the vet the next time I take the cats to keep an eye out for a beagle someone is willing to give away. I never pay for pups.

We have always had dogs in my family, but it has been a while now. We are just waiting for the youngest human to get a little bit older and then we will get another puppy. We are looking forward to it.

We have always had dogs in my family, but it has been a while now. We are just waiting for the youngest human to get a little bit older and then we will get another puppy. We are looking forward to it.

As someone who got a puppy a few months ago, and forgot exactly what a puppy was all about since my last was 15 years ago, it's pretty similar to having a baby, at least for a bit. It was exhausting!

As someone who got a puppy a few months ago, and forgot exactly what a puppy was all about since my last was 15 years ago, it's pretty similar to having a baby, at least for a bit. It was exhausting!

We try to adopt adult dogs. Whatever extra hassle it is to train them is worth it, since most are housebroken.

We try to adopt adult dogs. Whatever extra hassle it is to train them is worth it, since most are housebroken.
Unlike Jitler.

Unlike Jitler.

LMAO!! Well remember, he had trained 17 Russian Mountain Something or other dogs. So he is a pro. :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

As a retired bastard, I find that more and more of my friends and acquaintances are having their lives impacted (and enriched?) by their family dogs. I've thought about getting a dog myself, but when they made the rule about having to pick up the dog's Schidt, I pretty much dropped the thought.

The other day, two friends who are choir members told me that they had to miss choir practice because they were watching their "grand-dog," who requires a lot of personal attention. This is a choir that, in the Covid Era, has only a dozen or so members, so missing the two of them was significant. And the dog is too sensitive to remain in a cage for two hours?

Other friends literally never go on vacation because it's such a hassle finding a place that will accept their dog(s), and putting them in a kennel is so expensive. They leave social events early because the dogs will be tearing up the house if they are out too long (true).

Often the dogs are totally untrained, so that people don't visit the households because they don't want to be pestered constantly by the dogs. And I'm really not interested in tales of funny things the dogs have gotten into. (I am not MUCH interested in stories about the grand-kids, much less the dogs).

Dogs can be a significant expense, especially when they get older. Dog food is generally cheap, but veterinarians have to make a living, eh? Cancer treatments, shots for diabetes, regular visits...they add up.

I see more of my neighbors when they are walking their dogs than at any other time. For most of the dog-walkers, I'd bet that they have no other hobby or avocation that takes up as much time as their 2 or three-a-day dog walks - which are not cancelled when the weather gets bad.

Then of course when the dogs die, they are devastated for months - much more so than when a close relative dies.

I think it's perverse. I understand that there are times when having a dog enriches one's life, but the trade-offs make no sense to me.
/----/ I agree 1000%. I'm sadly recently widowed, and family and friends pester me to get a dog. We had one for 16 years and I had to have her put down due to old age and illness. I tell them all the reasons why I don't want the responsibility and don't need that kind of companionship. I want to enjoy what time I have left (I'm 70) to travel and do the many things I gave up to raise my famiy.

Boy if we had the same attitude about ALL of Americas children as we do for our dogs, we would have no childhood hunger, abuse, and sexual slavery.

Food for thought

Given the number of abused dogs we have in our country, I respectfully disagree with you.
/----/ Nothing more low life than someone who abuses children and/or pets.

Forum List

Back