Doesn't The LAT Have Editors?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Smearing a Congressional Medal of Honor Winner?

http://iraqnow.blogspot.com/2007/03/los-angeles-times-smears-medal-of-honor.html

Los Angeles Times Smears Medal of Honor Winner
An ignorant hack.

That's all I can think of to say about the author of this Los Angeles Times column, The Lunatic Right Returns, excoriating conservatives for adhering to "discredited swift-boaters" like George "Bud" Day.

Remember Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, the right-wing goon squad whose defamatory insinuations helped sink John Kerry's presidential campaign? They're back! This afternoon, key Swift boaters George "Bud" Day, Mary Jane McManus and Carlton Sherwood are holding a little reunion, in the guise of a panel discussion at the American Conservative Union's annual Conservative Political Action Conference. The panel topic? "The Left's Repeated Campaign Against the American Soldier."

Amazing. Here's the Los Angeles Times' vaunted layers of vetting and fact-checking at work for you: Bud Day's not even a swift boater*

Of course, the Los Angeles Times can't be bothered to tell the reader who Bud Day is, and what he's actually done.

So I will.

Via the U.S. Air Force:

George E. "Bud" Day is the nation’s most highly decorated soldier since General Douglas MacArthur. In a military career spanning 34 years and 3 wars, Day received nearly 70 decorations and awards of which more than 50 are for combat. Most notable of his decorations is our nation’s highest military honor, the Congressional Medal of Honor, presented to him by President Gerald Ford.

Day was born 24 February 1925 in Sioux City, Iowa, enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1942, and served 30 months in the South Pacific during World War II. Returning home, he entered law school and passed the Bar exam in 1949. The following year he was commissioned in the Iowa National Guard. In 1951 he was called to active duty to enter pilot training from which he served two tours as a fighter-bomber pilot during the Korean War flying the Republic F-84 Thunderjet.

Day entered the Vietnam War when he was assigned to the 31st Tactical Fighter Wing at Tuy Hoa Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, in April 1967. Shortly thereafter, he moved to Phu Cat Air Base where he organized and became the commander of the 416th Tactical Fighter Squadron, the first "Misty Super FAC" unit flying the North American F-100 Super Sabre. On 26 August 1967, Day’s accumulation of over 5000 flying hours came to an abrupt halt when he was shot down over North Vietnam and immediately captured by the North Vietnamese following his ejection. Despite serious injury, he managed to escape and evade across the Demilitarized Zone back into South Vietnam, earning the distinction of being the only prisoner to escape from North Vietnam.

Within two miles of freedom and after two weeks of evading, he was re-captured by the Viet Cong. Thus began his 67-month imprisonment that would end only upon his release on 14 March 1973. Three days later Day was reunited with his wife and four children at March AFB, California. After a short recuperative period, Day was returned to active flying status. Colonel Day retired from active duty in 1977.

Following his retirement, Day wrote an autobiography, Return with Honor, detailing his suffering as a captive in Vietnam.

K, as a former journalist, I can assure you that very few people in a newsroom have ever served in the military. Only a slightly higher percentage do not look with disdain upon anyone who has ever served in the military. So these aren't the sorts of mistakes that "hurt" them, if you will. If they'd, say, mistaken the date of birth for Martin Luther King, Jr., or the spelling of the name of a famous feminist, now that would be an issue.

and http://www.answers.com/topic/bud-day

"During the 2004 U.S. presidential election, Day appeared in a Swift Boat Veterans for Truth advertisement, saying "How can you expect our sons and daughters to follow you when you condemned their fathers and grandfathers?" Following that election, Day signed on as President of the newly formed Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation, which absorbed virtually all the Swift Both Veterans for Truth members and officers."

and http://www.answers.com/topic/bud-day

"During the 2004 U.S. presidential election, Day appeared in a Swift Boat Veterans for Truth advertisement, saying "How can you expect our sons and daughters to follow you when you condemned their fathers and grandfathers?" Following that election, Day signed on as President of the newly formed Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation, which absorbed virtually all the Swift Both Veterans for Truth members and officers."

So what? Murtha is a tool, but you don't see anyone denigrating his service. Many conservatives think McCain is a fool, yet take nothing away from his sacrifices, for that's what they were. Then again, we really do support the troops.

When the 'troops come home' they have every right to partake in the democratic process, that they sacrificed to uphold.

Libs only honor vets they agree with and only then until they are done using them. Otherwise, they absolutely detest them.

Libs only honor vets they agree with and only then until they are done using them. Otherwise, they absolutely detest them.

I've seen nothing for many years to make me think you are wrong.

The conditions at Walter Reed tells me how the Bush administration treats veterans.

Actually it tells all of us how generations of presidents from both parties treat veterans.

I am sure you are correct. American administrations have always preferred dead soldiers to ones they have to take care of.

So glad you decide to 'mellow somewhat.' If I could, you'd be on ignore. Truly, your posts add nothing to the debate other than nastiness. You should be maturing.

I am sure you are correct. American administrations have always preferred dead soldiers to ones they have to take care of.

Ya know, I agree with you. I want all the enemy "soldiers" dead so that we don't need places like Gitmo. Other than that, you should stick to things you know something about...should be a LOT less for you to worry about.

So what? Murtha is a tool, but you don't see anyone denigrating his service. Many conservatives think McCain is a fool, yet take nothing away from his sacrifices, for that's what they were. Then again, we really do support the troops.

When the 'troops come home' they have every right to partake in the democratic process, that they sacrificed to uphold.

well, the opening post seemed to say this guy George Day was being smeared because LA Times aaid he was a swift boater from the ads...
he was in the ads. That's it.

No I wasn't denigrating, nor hurting the troops, just a search for the LA Times error or smear. I posted what I found. Don't know what Murtha has to do with the LA Times or my post.

You just overloaded my bullshit meter, where am I gonna get another?
It was handmade!

While we're here, I may as well ask:
If that wasn't a joke, what makes you say that 'Libs use and detest veterans'?

Forum List

Back