Zone1 does policing need reform in favor of suspects and detainees?

peacefan

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i've been arrested once or twice, for minor reasons, and the treatment police give their suspects is far from stellar.

no bathroom in holding cells, light fully on at night instead of a nightcam in holding cells, and claustrophobia causing experiences in holding cells and during chats with cops while held, almost always for an undetermined length of time, measured in hours or days or even months or years.

obviously playing the kitten house cats towards the real offenders, is not going to help any innocents.
so the police can stay strict and such, but detainees should be presumed innocent -while an investigation runs in a different department-, not guilty. by police.

i've been arrested once or twice, for minor reasons, and the treatment police give their suspects is far from stellar.

no bathroom in holding cells, light fully on at night instead of a nightcam in holding cells, and claustrophobia causing experiences in holding cells and during chats with cops while held, almost always for an undetermined length of time, measured in hours or days or even months or years.

obviously playing the kitten house cats towards the real offenders, is not going to help any innocents.
so the police can stay strict and such, but detainees should be presumed innocent -while an investigation runs in a different department-, not guilty. by police.
Actually just the opposite, but they need to hire better people.

how? why?
Because often they hammer people for extremely minor offenses and that leaves not as many resources to get real criminals off the streets. Back in the day, police could make discretionary judgements. Now, if there is any way to make an arrest, they are compelled to.

policing needs reform in in favor of basic fairness and justice.

the reason guilty suspects seem coddled is because our system has too few protections for the innocent.

"defund the police" is neither party policy nor platform . the idea of a more sensitive response to domestic situations, homelessness and such should not be too radical.

• Brilliant
Reactions: IM2
Because often they hammer people for extremely minor offenses and that leaves not as many resources to get real criminals off the streets. Back in the day, police could make discretionary judgements. Now, if there is any way to make an arrest, they are compelled to.
inhumane incarceration and damaging incarceration should be avoided.

• Thanks
We need to re think what public safety is and get rid of the people whose only solutions to everything are idiotic draconian policies. Doing that in law enforcement would change the culture. Futhermore, I think there should be a 20 year limit on police service, similar to the military with the same type of retirement benefits. That way we can get rid of officers who become jaded by what they see over the years, and reduce the number of officers with PTSD who shoot first then ask questions.

DUI being a great example....It's now very little more than a revenue stream.

We need to re think what public safety is and get rid of the people whose only solutions to everything are idiotic draconian policies. Doing that in law enforcement would change the culture. Futhermore, I think there should be a 20 year limit on police service, similar to the military with the same type of retirement benefits. That way we can get rid of officers who become jaded by what they see over the years, and reduce the number of officers with PTSD who shoot first then ask questions.
the reason for the 20 year retirements, other than the physical demands of the job has a reason hidden in civil service law.

lower weekly pay during work life, recouped only in an honorable retirement. is an incentive to keep otherwise corrupt people honest.

repubs hate civil service laws.

• Thanks

No, policing does not need reform, but criminals who have done crime more than 3 times, need to be executed. I am tired of feeding, clothing and housing, Felons who just dont want to be reformed. Let Lucifer deal with their sorry asses.

No, policing does not need reform, but criminals who have done crime more than 3 times, need to be executed. I am tired of feeding, clothing and housing, Felons who just dont want to be reformed. Let Lucifer deal with their sorry asses.
that recidivism is itself an indication that what we are doing may not be the most effective method.

the problem with execution is its finality. we've been releasing men from angola after 30 or 40 years because they just did not do the crime.

Some departments need to be seriously revamped but others seem to be just doing it about as well as they can. It really comes down to the culture within the departments. The county deputies in these parts are pretty straight shooters but the city cops are, to be polite, lacking in their interpersonal communications skills. My lawyer told me he stopped doing criminal cases in the city because the cops are such lying SOB's that they will say anything to get a conviction. The county deputies are not nearly so creative with the truth. If they don't remember something they say it; if they forgot something they admit it; and they are not going to claim that every defendant confessed to them anything.

This is all Biden's fault....I have seen how his coddling of really detestable stuff has increased gun ownership, bitterness and division in the public, police rigidity in the face of higher-ups playing the sissy and perv.

You are maybe right but both you and the cops suffer from the ever more martial way human life is

Some departments need to be seriously revamped but others seem to be just doing it about as well as they can. It really comes down to the culture within the departments. The county deputies in these parts are pretty straight shooters but the city cops are, to be polite, lacking in their interpersonal communications skills. My lawyer told me he stopped doing criminal cases in the city because the cops are such lying SOB's that they will say anything to get a conviction. The county deputies are not nearly so creative with the truth. If they don't remember something they say it; if they forgot something they admit it; and they are not going to claim that every defendant confessed to them anything.
you have put your finger on the "police reform" problem.

peacefan is correct that this varies by jurisdiction. but

the overall standards in managemnt, recruiting and training need vast improvement.

We hear again and again about violent criminals being set loose hours after arrest and committing even more heinous crimes, and this pussy shit is what some obvious repeat offenders are worried about?

So you were arrested for minor reasons. Which means you actually did something to be arrested. Ok, then dont do even minor things to get arrested then. If people don't want to be arrested then don't do things to be arrested, it really is that simple.

And all of your complaints are ridiculous. You're in jail, what do you expect? A room at the Marriott?

I've been arrested twice as a young man and it sucked, but you know what? It was my fault. I did shit I shouldn't have been doing. Jail isn't supposed to be comfortable, accommodating or nice because it's jail. I haven't even been so much as pulled over in 30 years because I adhere to the law. Not even a speeding ticket.

Not guilty by police and another department investigates? Well, you described exactly how it works right now. You do something wrong, the cops arrest you, you go to court and the court decides if you're guilty or not.

Again, don't want the cops after you? Then don't do things to attract their attention. Obey the law and be a decent person and you'll be fine.

Forum List

Back