Does beauty matter to an actress?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My wife and I are re-watching a few of the later seasons of Downton Abbey, and it occurs to me that many of the main story lines are based on the proposition that "Lady Mary," the Earl's oldest daughter, is irresistibly beautiful. Every "eligible" aristocrat who walks through their doors falls instantly in love with her, ignoring the younger sister and contributing to the latter's inferiority complex.

But it doesn't work. The actress is simply not that pretty, and certainly the person that she portrays is repulsive. And yet we are expected to believe that all these desirable, usually titled men, are falling all over each other competing for her attention. I realize that we, the viewers, are expected to suspend our disbelief to a certain extent, but really?
1629301876242.png

On the other hand, there are actresses who have performed for the BBC who could pull it off, so to speak, with their natural beauty. Elizabeth, from Poldark, for example...
1629302001005.png

On the other hand, there are a lot of shows and films where there is a beautiful, sexy actress, and nobody is supposed to notice that there is anything unusual about her. Some of the Jennifer Anniston stories are examples. And on NCIS, Los Angeles, there is no way in the world that Daniela Ruah would be a cop. N.F.W.

Does the viewer have the right to expect an actress who is believably inserted into the story?

My wife and I are re-watching a few of the later seasons of Downton Abbey, and it occurs to me that many of the main story lines are based on the proposition that "Lady Mary," the Earl's oldest daughter, is irresistibly beautiful. Every "eligible" aristocrat who walks through their doors falls instantly in love with her, ignoring the younger sister and contributing to the latter's inferiority complex.

But it doesn't work. The actress is simply not that pretty, and certainly the person that she portrays is repulsive. And yet we are expected to believe that all these desirable, usually titled men, are falling all over each other competing for her attention. I realize that we, the viewers, are expected to suspend our disbelief to a certain extent, but really?
View attachment 527535

On the other hand, there are actresses who have performed for the BBC who could pull it off, so to speak, with their natural beauty. Elizabeth, from Poldark, for example...
View attachment 527537

On the other hand, there are a lot of shows and films where there is a beautiful, sexy actress, and nobody is supposed to notice that there is anything unusual about her. Some of the Jennifer Anniston stories are examples. And on NCIS, Los Angeles, there is no way in the world that Daniela Ruah would be a cop. N.F.W.

Does the viewer have the right to expect an actress who is believably inserted into the story?
Yeah, I agree that second one is fine, like Jane Seymour fine....well maybe not that much. The other one looks like a gin drinking flapper.

Moonglow most [ most popular ]/etc entertainers are not ugly--people don't like to look at ugly/etc people--that's just natural/human

View attachment 527535

View attachment 527537

You need to look at it in context. In a country house environment, there would not have been any suitable women for miles. You make do with what you got.

View attachment 527535

View attachment 527537

Did you run out of blue pills?

The actress is simply not that pretty
Butch haircut aside she's good looking enough but acting isn't all about being pretty either, and different men or other women are going to have different ideas of what's "pretty" or not, but it’s an emotional basket case and a nasty-ass hatchet job at the beauty parlor in any case.

Consider the time period many of these programs are set in. A few hundred years ago, anyone with the requisite number of eyes, ears, and limbs who was reasonably clean and symmetrical would be considered super-fine.

Consider the time period many of these programs are set in. A few hundred years ago, anyone with the requisite number of eyes, ears, and limbs who was reasonably clean and symmetrical would be considered super-fine.
Eyes ears and all other members? Doctors and dentists aren't committing mass murder mayhem, and malicious disfigurement, cutting off every single body part they can get away with? Where do you come from? Why do think Jesus says they that be whole have no need of a physician?

Moonglow hahhahah--yes--yes--yes--you people never think realistically---how things really are--you are in Fairy Tale Land/Movie-TV land

View attachment 527535

View attachment 527537

If you are wealthy, you are beautiful!
Many wives won't allow their husbands to watch a show that features a really hot woman.

Physical appearance is much less important in the UK TV and film market whereas it's quite important in the US. There aren't that many well established actresses in Hollywood over the age of 40.

If you are wealthy, you are beautiful!
Many wives won't allow their husbands to watch a show that features a really hot woman.
Communists. The wives are madams. They're tired of sex, they don't want to look hot themselves, and they don't want other women competing with them without permission either.

When it comes to actors, their makeup artist can make them look like goddesses or bridge trolls ,depending on the character they are playing. The pic on post 1 is what was considered attractive for that period in the past. The actress herself I am sure looks different from how she is made up to look.

Forum List

Back