New League of Their Own?

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013

"Nearly three decades after the movie premiered, last summer it was announced that “A League of Their Own” was being rebooted into a streaming TV series by Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television."

So, is this going to be a remake, or an updated version?

Considering the original took place in the early 40s, and Jackie Robinson didn't break the color barrier til the late 40s, some of the actresses may be a bit miscast.

"The reboot will also star Chanté Adams, D'Arcy Carden, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Kelly McCormack, Priscilla Delgado and Roberta Colindrez. "

at least 2 of them are black.

Is the producer ignoring history?

Or bowing to BLM?

Last edited:
The original movie made the briefest of nods to the fact that baseball in the 1940's wasn't just segregated by sex, but by race.

But, I wouldn't get too hung up on History. The original movie was laced with many glaring historical errors concerning AAGPBL, not the least of which was, they didn't pitch overhand.

The original movie made the briefest of nods to the fact that baseball in the 1940's wasn't just segregated by sex, but by race.

But, I wouldn't get too hung up on History. The original movie was laced with many glaring historical errors concerning AAGPBL, not the least of which was, they didn't pitch overhand.
Not to mention the movie sucked.

It's interesting to me, that no one has ever made a movie about WASPs - Women's Airforce Service Pilots.

Women pilots who flew every type of combat aircraft in the war. They ferried these planes from factories in the US to the combat zones of Europe as well as serving as target towing pilots for antiaircraft drills.

There were over 1,000 WASP pilots during the war and 38 of these brave and capable women lost their lives in duty to their country. Their ranks included Asian and Hispanic women, but Black female pilots were rejected.

300px-Elizabeth_L._Remba_Gardner,_Women's_Airforce_Service_Pilots,_NARA-542191.jpg

I would have thought a movie like this would be right up Tom Hanks' professional alley.

A story that has always inspired me was about WASP pilot Hazel Ying Lee

Hazel_Ying_Lee,_one_of_the_first_two_Chinese_Americans_in_the_Women_Air_Force_Service_Pilots.jpg

During her first solo, a memorable flight for every pilot, she was flying from the backseat of a Steerman, the normal pilot position. During her flight, a steering yoke cable failed making it impossible to bank the aircraft. While the plane was in flight, she crawled out of the cockpit, over the fuselage into the front seat position to use the controls in that seat to land the plane.

She died while ferrying a P-63 to Minnesota from a factory in New York. Tower control operator mistakenly gave her the wrong landing instructions and she collided with another P-63, both aircraft crashed and burned. She died two days later from extensive burns.

Getting back to the movie and WInger's criticism, actors seldom do a credible job of imitating noteworthy athletes, and we are supposed to ignore it. It is acting after all, and these actors are the people who acted in the student plays in high school, not the ones who played ball.

A story that has always inspired me was about WASP pilot Hazel Ying Lee

View attachment 526381

During her first solo, a memorable flight for every pilot, she was flying from the backseat of a Steerman, the normal pilot position. During her flight, a steering yoke cable failed making it impossible to bank the aircraft. While the plane was in flight, she crawled out of the cockpit, over the fuselage into the front seat position to use the controls in that seat to land the plane.

She died while ferrying a P-63 to Minnesota from a factory in New York. Tower control operator mistakenly gave her the wrong landing instructions and she collided with another P-63, both aircraft crashed and burned. She died two days later from extensive burns.

She has the obligatory cigarette also.

I knew a woman years ago that claimed to have played in the all women's league. She was a queer.

"Nearly three decades after the movie premiered, last summer it was announced that “A League of Their Own” was being rebooted into a streaming TV series by Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television."

So, is this going to be a remake, or an updated version?

Considering the original took place in the early 40s, and Jackie Robinson didn't break the color barrier til the late 40s, some of the actresses may be a bit miscast.

"The reboot will also star Chanté Adams, D'Arcy Carden, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Kelly McCormack, Priscilla Delgado and Roberta Colindrez. "

at least 2 of them are black.

Is the producer ignoring history?

Or bowing to BLM?

Yep they continue to do this everywhere.

Forum List

Back