Doctors Refused This Thug a Heart Transplant – Until Accused of Racism. It All Ended Badly Yesterday

What a shame that someone else had to wait or possibly lost their life while this thug received a heart. That is exactly why they have a profile for the intended recipient. This wasn't about race, it was about life style. I hope this hospital learned their lesson.

Did the TV station and News show do a follow up show after catering to the thug and his mother finally getting the hospital to give this boy the heart? Did they show viewers that he shot an elderly woman and was killed in a high speed crash in a stolen car? Did they apologize for interfering with hospital business? Bet not.

Can't review life histories of transplant recipiants. Open that can of worms and what criteria will you then use? Criminal record? Which crimes? Political affiliation? Membership in organizations?

Sucks when this happens (wasted a good heart) but it's what has to happen to keep the process of selection fair.

I agree with everything you said except that it was a waste of a good heart. Perhaps for the two years he had it, he might have done some good for someone somewhere. That's probably not the case but who knows except God and the people he might have touched positively. As an aside though, I wonder did he donate the heart so it could be used again. What happened to the heart postmortem ? Was it simply discarded?

You are a good person to believe this person did something good for someone else. That was the last thing from my mind...sadly. I'm wondering if a heart can be moved again...

What a shame that someone else had to wait or possibly lost their life while this thug received a heart. That is exactly why they have a profile for the intended recipient. This wasn't about race, it was about life style. I hope this hospital learned their lesson.

Did the TV station and News show do a follow up show after catering to the thug and his mother finally getting the hospital to give this boy the heart? Did they show viewers that he shot an elderly woman and was killed in a high speed crash in a stolen car? Did they apologize for interfering with hospital business? Bet not.

Can't review life histories of transplant recipiants. Open that can of worms and what criteria will you then use? Criminal record? Which crimes? Political affiliation? Membership in organizations?

Sucks when this happens (wasted a good heart) but it's what has to happen to keep the process of selection fair.

Absolutely yes. Someone with an extensive criminal background is NOT deserving of any organ. Period.

It would be different if suddenly the person with the criminal past saw this opportunity as a new lease in life and it would turn their life around.

Actually, it was race....since he was black, and had the right pressure groups attacking the doctors, he got the heart...had he been Chinese American, or Japanese American....never would have gotten that heart with that background........

It was race that made him get the heart, but it wasn't race that was the determining factor that he shouldn't get the heart in the first place.

Actually, it was race....since he was black, and had the right pressure groups attacking the doctors, he got the heart...had he been Chinese American, or Japanese American....never would have gotten that heart with that background........

It was race that made him get little white book being fused or transplant because of his criminal past?the heart, but it wasn't race that was the determining factor that he shouldn't get the heart in the first place.

I would like to hope that race was not a factor in the initial decision to deny the transplant ; but, have you ever heard of a white thug being denied a similar procedure because of his criminal past?

Furthermore, I am somewhat disturbed by the fact the boy's criminal past was even brought to the attention of the surgical team at all. Just how did that come about? Who brought it up and researched it?
The answer to that question is likely to be very unsettling. Beyond that is an even more sinister implication. I guess the Hippocratic oath is no longer a guide for ethical standards among physicians. If it were,adherence to the following excerpt would have solved the issue in the patient's favor from the beginning.

excerpt said:
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

It was race that made him get little white book being fused or transplant because of his criminal past?the heart, but it wasn't race that was the determining factor that he shouldn't get the heart in the first place.

I would like to hope that race was not a factor in the initial decision to deny the transplant ; but, have you ever heard of a white thug being denied a similar procedure because of his criminal past?

Furthermore, I am somewhat disturbed by the fact the boy's criminal past was even brought to the attention of the surgical team at all. Just how did that come about? Who brought it up and researched it?
The answer to that question is likely to be very unsettling. Beyond that is an even more sinister implication. I guess the Hippocratic oath is no longer a guide for ethical standards among physicians. If it were,adherence to the following excerpt would have solved the issue in the patient's favor from the beginning.

excerpt said:
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I think some research into the profile of the proposed recipient is appropriate. I'd like to know if the fellow has 6 DUI's and that would tell me this man has a propensity for hard drinking and life risking behavior. Choosing this fellow as a opposed to someone who does not have that background is a no brainer. It's not playing God, it's playing the odds of who has a life expectancy to warrant giving the heart.

I am still glad that they gave the boy a new heart. You never know what that boy would have done with his Life.

Also, all these people hatin' and judgin' him based on his "criminal" behavior... Wtf. You don't know the circumstances or motivation behind his "criminal" actions.

In my opinion, a "criminal" is no less deserving of organ transplants than any other human. So what if he wasn't a "good" little indoctrinated worker ant. So what.

really...well perhaps they should pair rape victims as possible doners for their rapists....right?

excerpt said:

I believe it was more his drug use and failure to comply with showing that he would change those habits...and not his criminal history........but his race was the issue with the pressure groups, not the Doctors.......

excerpt said:

I believe it was more his drug use and failure to comply with showing that he would change those habits...and not his criminal history........but his race was the issue with the pressure groups, not the Doctors.......

And by what means do you justify your beliefs? The author of the story certainly thought the doctors were using the patient's criminality as an excuse for denial of a transplant. But he didn't stop there. if you read further into the piece, you'll see that he paraphrases the whole ordeal with reference to crime statistics for blacks being disproportionate and having an impact on the initial decision. With that, the journalist provided the nexus between race and the doctor's decision.

Perhaps, that wasn't what the doctors thought at all. For all we know they might have been black doctors and surgeons. But for whatever reason there was any controversy at all, it was quite bizarre for doctors to deviate from the assumed objectivity proscribed in the Hippocratic oath to play judge and god. But did they really? Or is it just a journalist putting his slant on things and bringing his biases and bigotry to the forefront by projecting them on to the doctors? That is the question.

The scary thing is that if Obama needed a new heart thousands of liberals would hang themselves in public to provide.

No, not thousands.

TENS of thousands.

And that's just the upside......
Yeah, just like gays are just lining up to donate to the arson advocating teacher that was suspended for asking for volunteers to burn down Memories Pizza.

Oh wait, they aren't.

Absolutely yes. Someone with an extensive criminal background is NOT deserving of any organ. Period.
Racist!!!!!

excerpt said:
I never heard of a white thug getting a heart transplant, period.

It would be different if suddenly the person with the criminal past saw this opportunity as a new lease in life and it would turn their life around.

What are the odds of that happening in a case such as this? To date I can think of five cases over a period of nearly 100 years.

Ok Professor, define for them to put into law and the criteria for organ donor selection "extensive."

Doctors Refused This Thug a Heart Transplant - Until Accused of Racism - It All Ended BadlyTop Right News
A Black teenager who was initially denied a heart transplant because of his criminal record – but who was granted one after a media outcry over “racism” – was killed after committing a home invasion armed robbery, less than two years later.

A masked Anthony Stokes broke into the home of an 81-year old woman in Roswell, Georgia on Tuesday afternoon, firing shots at the woman in a failed robbery attempt.
>government and kind people gave you a chance to "live your life again"
>you're still commit crimes
>firing shots at the woman in a failed robbery attempt.
Only i think that's something wrong with this guy?!

Ended badly? How is a criminal being shot down a bad ending? Can't they salvage the heart now? :)

I am still glad that they gave the boy a new heart. You never know what that boy would have done with his Life.

Also, all these people hatin' and judgin' him based on his "criminal" behavior... Wtf. You don't know the circumstances or motivation behind his "criminal" actions.

In my opinion, a "criminal" is no less deserving of organ transplants than any other human. So what if he wasn't a "good" little indoctrinated worker ant. So what.

You need to practice a more subtle delivery, because at the moment you're trying way too hard to be taken seriously.

I guarantee, if your child was the one who did not get the heart, and died because of it, and this pos did, your attitude would be very different.

now you are getting into a lot of hypothetical. Was there a recipient on the list who was a better match, who was going to imminently die?

Or are you just railing because a transplant went to someone who wasn't the same color as you?

He was a juvenile so his record is concealed from us but he was wearing a ankle monitor when he was admitted to hospital. We do know that he had an extensive criminal record by the time he was 15. Here's your hero....

So you don't know how extensive his record was. He might have been accused of one thing only, one thing that wasn't even serious enough to throw him in jail. (They only put ankle monitors on you if you aren't particularly dangerous.)

But he sure looks scary in that picture!

That's a slippery slope that no one should advocate for. That leads to Chinese style criminal justice where if they decide they need your organs they sentence you to death so they can get them easier. On the other hand, if the condemned wishes to donate them then I would certainly let them enjoy more privileges before their final hour.

But aren't you already on that slope when you decide someone shouldn't get a transplant because he has an ankle monitor?

Forum List

Back