Doctors prescribing strong meds for elderly Mother

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
What the heck, within the last two months my Mother has been prescribed a strong depression med because she couldn't sleep and then a powerful topical for her feet that made her dizzy and blurred her vision. Both drugs are easily researched and listed as dangerous for the elderly. Why do Doctors do this? Are they getting kick backs from the drug companies? If you are a Doctor or Nurse please respond, I don't get it.

It's really sad that no one here was willing to help you out.

Have you made your mother's doctor aware of these side effects? Maybe he can lower the dose or prescribe something else.

In the meantime, you can get good information about medications at the following sites:

www.webmd.com
www.rxlist.com
www.drugs.com

Good luck!

What is puzzling me is the obvious lack of common sense by prescribing such strong drugs to a little old lady when the drugs come with very prominent warnings for the elderly.

What is puzzling me is the obvious lack of common sense by prescribing such strong drugs to a little old lady when the drugs come with very prominent warnings for the elderly.

It is odd. Usually the minute someone turns 65, regardless of their health status, MDs tend to be super cautious. Unless your Mom's very fond of this doctor, it might be time to get a second opinion.

I'm a pharmacist.

What drugs and doses?

Antidepressants aren't usually used for sleep, and a topical foot med shouldn't have systemic side effects.

There are no kickbacks. They don't exist by law.

Still facing the same problem, then I must recommend you to concern with a doctor, ask him to prescribe the lowest dose because the drugs you researched are dangerous for your mother. If you want a quick advice and result as well, then book an appointment. Visit “TopDoc”. It might work. Good luck!

o hell no...no need to be so polite....tell them to stop the meds...period...and see how she does....doctors just do a ad hoc thing it does seem...when it comes to the elderly...

Forum List

Back