Do you want more civil discussion

Do you want more civil discussion?

• Total voters
According to wordnet...
applying to ordinary citizens as contrasted with the military; "civil authorities"
not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others; "even if he didn't like them he should have been civil"- W.S. Maugham
of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state; "civil affairs"; "civil strife"; "civil disobedience"; "civil branches of government"
of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals; "civil rights"; "civil liberty"; "civic duties"; "civic pride"

Civil means not censuring discussion, being honest, being direct and especially not submitting to militaristic tyrrany... that is the the essence of being liberal or "civil".
Vulgarity is not civil. Bullying is not civil. Totalitarianism is not civil.

I wonder if the pollster would like to explain their own personal opinion of what "civil" discussion actually is?

Ask the mods to create a sub-forum for discussions strictly held to civility rules and see how much people post there.

That sounds like a great idea! A forum without vulgarity, bullying, or partisan propaganda sounds awesome! A board where everyone is an individual, no party affiliations allowed!

This poll's own results show that a majority of people would rather have civil discussion.
Hopefully this forums mods will give it consideration.

People can be of different parties, atheist vs religious, etc and still get along. I have all of my life. Heck I even have serveral active teabagger casual friends. Not close friends but I would help them out if they are in need and I think most of them would do the same.

Cowards get nasty on the net though.

Republicans aren't going to want to be civil until and unless they are back in control.

Then you will hear them preaching about civility in political discourse.

LOL!!

Really gotta love those people.

People can be of different parties, atheist vs religious, etc and still get along. I have all of my life. Heck I even have serveral active teabagger casual friends. Not close friends but I would help them out if they are in need and I think most of them would do the same.

Cowards get nasty on the net though.

Maybe people would think you are more serious if you stopped calling them "teabaggers". It's not like people don't know what it means.

Republicans aren't going to want to be civil until and unless they are back in control.

LOL!!

Bingo
that is truth. And not only for the republicans but they do have a lot more nasty pundit leaders than the left does.

Organized nastiness I suppose.

LOL!!

Let's think about this rationally:

1. I'm a Republican.

2. Neither I, nor my party, is in control.

3. I'm preaching about civility in political discource. In fact, I started this thread on it.

Since all three of the numbered statement's are true, there is a very large flaw with your argument. To make it easier to understand, you're wrong.

LOL!!

1. I'm a Republican.

3. I'm preaching about civility in political discource. In fact, I started this thread on it.

Since all three of the numbered statement's are true, there is a very large flaw with your argument. To make it easier to understand, you're wrong.
I'll mark you as a peacekeeper Avatar.

I hate the hate that comes from your side.

Thanks for being that exception to the rule.

There can be no civil discussion when protestors are villified, lied about and called sexual insults and accused of being racist for protesting.

The only thing you can do with someone calling protestors 'teabaggers' is to treat them them like the slimey pieces of pig shit they truely are.

Dude...the RACISM is RAMPANT in the Party of Tea Bags...seriously now.

Get a hold of yourself.

:rolleyes:

I don't expect anything from anyone else. If I want civility in a discussion, it is up to me to provide it.

And right now, I am not in the mood.

I'll mark you as a peacekeeper Avatar.

I hate the hate that comes from your side.

Thanks for being that exception to the rule.

I think there is enough hate on both sides. Pretending it's all onesided is like saying the sun won't rise in the morning.

Get a hold of yourself.

You are the perfect example of what I was referring too.

I have been a part of it from teh start, the only thing 'rampant' is the propaganda from people like you about it.

BTW, produce ONE witness who can say any black congressperson was called 'niggar' who is NOT named 'cynthia mckinney'.

People like you are everything that is wrong with American politcis.

LOL!!

1. I'm a Republican.

Not all Republicans are political parrots. A few like you actually think.

Get a hold of yourself.

What is racist about wanting a Constitution government?

What is racist about wanting taxes to be lowered on everyone?

What is racist about wanting spending to be seriously cut?

If you don't assume the worst of people, you might be pleasantly surprised.

well, at least this might explain the lack of civility.

why the fuck do you wanna know???

Curiousity for one. It's a weakness of mine.

I am just wondering how many of the people whining about the civility and manners of the other side of the aisle actually want it.
Or who among us who immediately drop any pretense of civility would claim there is a need for a higher level of discourse.

why the fuck do you wanna know???

Curiousity for one. It's a weakness of mine.

I am just wondering how many of the people whining about the civility and manners of the other side of the aisle actually want it.
Or who among us who immediately drop any pretense of civility would claim there is a need for a higher level of discourse.

Bismarck, the ol iron chancellor, had the perfect comment on politics:

There are two things the public should never see, how laws and sausages are made, for teh same reason.

His meaning was politics is an ugly business.

Avatar...why do you people like to argue these false herrings?

You KNOW the racism we're talking about...we're not talking about those things you listed.

You KNOW the racism in FULL display we're speaking about.

Yet you argue as if we're calling people who just want the government to stop the nonsense racist.

You are just. not. being. honest.

*SMH*

Forum List

Back