Do you trust the government?

SN80MIk.jpg

What does "trust" mean, in this context?

What is "the government", in this context?
Definition of trust? That should be obvious. If not, a dictionary might clear things up for you. By government, I am, of course, referring to the Federal Government.

Definition of trust? That should be obvious. If not, a dictionary might clear things up for you. By government, I am, of course, referring to the Federal Government.

I didn't ask for the dictionary definition, I asked what you meant in the context of the question, and how it relates to "the government".

What is "trustworthiness", in relation to a government?

In this respect, trust means that of which you place in someone, the government, to uphold your rights, not infringe on them.

The government, or the entity established by the Constitution to govern the United States of America. There is nothing hidden here.

Our beloved Pres. Obama was chosen by the people to rule over us.

So all loyal American citizens should trust in him without reservation.

And feel secure that to obey Obama is patriotic. ..... :cool:

In this respect, trust means that of which you place in someone, the government, to uphold your rights, not infringe on them.

By that definition, there has never been a "trustworthy" government in the history of the world.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the entire purpose of a government is to limit the "rights" of its citizens for the sake of the whole. That's the idea of Locke's "social compact".

The government, or the entity established by the Constitution to govern the United States of America. There is nothing hidden here.

The Federal Government is not a single entity. It's made up of more than a million individuals, each with their own motivations and goals. Anthropomorphizing "the government" as a whole is a silly way to frame the discussion.

By that definition, there has never been a "trustworthy" government in the history of the world.

And that's all she wrote.

It's made up of more than a million individuals, each with their own motivations and goals. Anthropomorphizing "the government" as a whole is a silly way to frame the discussion.

The Government is not defined in any other way is it? It basically is an entity inasmuch as it works the same way a corporation does. It is represented as a single entity in court.

And that's all she wrote.

It's made up of more than a million individuals, each with their own motivations and goals. Anthropomorphizing "the government" as a whole is a silly way to frame the discussion.

The Government is not defined in any other way is it? It basically is an entity inasmuch as it works the same way a corporation does. It is represented as a single entity in court.

First of all, it does not work as a single entity, nor is it represented as such in courts. Do you know how frequently different parts of the government sue each other?

Secondly, can you think of a situation in which the noun "trust" would be applied to a corporation?

Do you "trust" Coca-Cola? How about Sunoco? Halliburton?

Our beloved Pres. Obama was chosen by the people to rule over us.

So all loyal American citizens should trust in him without reservation.

And feel secure that to obey Obama is patriotic. ..... :cool:
Have you ever considered stand up comedy!!!!

Forum List

Back