• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dragonlady

You haven’t voted. What are you doing. So you’re not a Democrat, I take it you’re not a Christian either? I take it you don’t support American workers?

I take it you're a complete idiot who cannot read. I'm a Canadian living in Canada. It's on my profile. I vote for the Liberal Party, generally. But I did vote for Jack Layton because he was the best representative I've ever had in my life, and it was a great tragedy that he died.

I come from a blue collar family, and my husband was a union worker when I met him. I'm a retired Sunday school teacher and an elder in the Presbyterian Church. I support ALL working people. American workers need a much better deal than Republicans have given them.

Is there anything else you'd like to get WRONG about me?????

Well for perhaps 75 or 80 years we were making products here in America and selling them here in America and we had the best middle class in our history. I would like to see that system come back. I like the site of the American past of the 1950s in the 60s. Much stronger men and women in those areas

Neither men nor women were stronger in the 50's and 60's. You're completely delusional, looking back at a time that never was.

Neither men nor women were stronger in the 50's and 60's. You're completely delusional, looking back at a time that never was.

Unknown-1.jpeg

I am for any citizen belonging to any group they choose including a union. I was a union member while working for a city and they came to my rescue and kicked some butt when things got rough for me at one point. Any citizen would do well to have a group watching their backs no matter if it private or government work . Trade, laborer or management needs a union or some lawyer service to protect their rights and keep from being a victim.

I take it you're a complete idiot who cannot read. I'm a Canadian living in Canada. It's on my profile. I vote for the Liberal Party, generally. But I did vote for Jack Layton because he was the best representative I've ever had in my life, and it was a great tragedy that he died.

I come from a blue collar family, and my husband was a union worker when I met him. I'm a retired Sunday school teacher and an elder in the Presbyterian Church. I support ALL working people. American workers need a much better deal than Republicans have given them.

Is there anything else you'd like to get WRONG about me?????
I’m not here for personal issues. I’m sure you’re a good person we can get along real life. Unions your vote need your vote. This is about participation and common decency. We’re all in this thing together my friend

Grumblenuts

Vietnam veterans homeless on the streets with no help with nothing. Many of those folks used to have union jobs and then they lost them. This thread need your voice. Nothing worse than when democracy fails my friends

Zincwarrior

Do you participate in thread after thread I’ve seen you going to threads making one off comment and then that’s it. Here is your opportunity you say you stand for humane values where do you stand here. Now people who are against unions many of them are Republicans and they’re great people I might disagree with them but at least they are providing a sound argument they are making points.

There’s nothing worse than a loss of democracy there’s nothing worse than those who won’t get their voices heard

bodecea

President Biden is in your avatar. We need your vote. Union solidarity Democrat brother. Vote pro union. All of my fellow Democrats vault pro union. Where are you we need you

and completely obsessed with The United States while turning a blind eye to the problems of Canada.

We have competent governance in Canada which deals with problems, and we have been at the top of the "Best Country in the World to Live" for most of the last decade. We're doing a whole lot better than the USA, which continues to drop lower and lower on that list every year.

But by all means, stick to what you're doing - relitigating rights and freedoms for minorities, women and marginalized people that were settled 50 years ago - just like you've been doing since before the Civil War. If you live the simple idea that all people are created equal and should have equal rights, votes and justice, you're not much of a country at all.

yes.

& ironically so did eisenhower - back when there were real republicans.

REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORMS

Republican Party Platform of 1956​

Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions.

Furthermore, the process of free collective bargaining has been strengthened by the insistence of this Administration that labor and management settle their differences at the bargaining table without the intervention of the Government. This policy has brought to our country an unprecedented period of labor-management peace and understanding.

We applaud the effective, unhindered, collective bargaining which brought an early end to the 1956 steel strike, in contrast to the six months' upheaval, Presidential seizure of the steel industry and ultimate Supreme Court intervention under the last Democrat Administration.

The Eisenhower Administration will continue to fight for dynamic and progressive programs which, among other things, will:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

Clarify and strengthen the eight-hour laws for the benefit of workers who are subject to federal wage standards on Federal and Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;
[...]
Republican Party Platform of 1956 | The American Presidency Project

I’m not here for personal issues. I’m sure you’re a good person we can get along real life. Unions your vote need your vote. This is about participation and common decency. We’re all in this thing together my friend

Grumblenuts

Vietnam veterans homeless on the streets with no help with nothing. Many of those folks used to have union jobs and then they lost them. This thread need your voice. Nothing worse than when democracy fails my friends

Zincwarrior

Do you participate in thread after thread I’ve seen you going to threads making one off comment and then that’s it. Here is your opportunity you say you stand for humane values where do you stand here. Now people who are against unions many of them are Republicans and they’re great people I might disagree with them but at least they are providing a sound argument they are making points.

There’s nothing worse than a loss of democracy there’s nothing worse than those who won’t get their voices heard

bodecea

President Biden is in your avatar. We need your vote. Union solidarity Democrat brother. Vote pro union. All of my fellow Democrats vault pro union. Where are you we need you
1676215442810.jpeg

No they don't.

Have you ever tried to get the OSHA or any other big government agency involved in your labour troubles????? Hardly a good solution for petty grievances on a daily basis. Not to mention they move very slowly.

While I would agree with you on the older versus younger workers, the older workers need more protections as companies look to push out older workers and the legacy costs associated with them. But yes, you should be happy to hand over a small portion of your paycheck because without them you'd be making a whole lot less than you currently are making.

Petty every day grievances are petty things that sort themselves out. Who cares if you had to take a vacation day or loss day because it took longer than usual to you to go to granny's funeral in Hawaii.

The older workers may be otherwise making less. The younger workers not so much. That is the rub of their continued existence though--money and benefits and shielding the shadiest employees who otherwise would be fired. Their rate of participation continues to slide and will likely slide further.

Grumblenuts

Zincwarrior

bodecea

You personally attacked me and then tried to walk it back without an apology???? No, I don't think we could get along in real life, because I have absolutely no patience for condescension and "mansplaining".

You're not listening to people, you lecturing them from your imagined position of authority. And you're getting EVERYTHING WRONG!

I believe that over 95% of America supports unions. But I wonder if that was the case in the 1940s or maybe it has changed today. I want to be able to convince as many people as possible here that unions are pro American, they are pro Christian they are pro traditions. They are pro civil liberties, they are pro second amendment, they are pro police and pro firefighters and pro military.

Yes there are corrupt union leaders yes they are corrupt teachers, yes there are corrupt police officers, yes there are corrupt members of the NAACP, yes there are corrupt members of the United States government. There’s corruption in every country in the world. America stands out as the most liberal and free country at all of human history. Our middle class, our military , and our economy is the best in the world because of American greatness, Because of our glorious victory in World War II where we saved the free world with our brave Soviet , Chinese and British allies ….and because of the steel workers and United States military, and the will of the American men and women through history…they all made our country great and glorious.

Rather than going to a very long post as I often do I’ll make this as short as possible. I can’t think of a better image and video to show then the one below. Because after all all of the conservatives here who say they love America who say they stand by the Second Amendment, who they who say they stand by family, Christianity and American traditions I only ask you to just look briefly at the following video because the very people you aspire to be …well they are the men and the women of the following video. The steel workers of the following video who contributed to World War II who fought in World War II. Who fought in the Vietnam war who came home and who were able to get a steel job that set them for life. I can’t think of anything else to bring forward to prove my point gentlemen and ladies. I can’t think of anything else other than this. These were and are unionized workers these are steel workers.

That is patriotism^

The power of American steel we see that above. The power of American greatness in manufacturing we see this above. Our bridges are roads, our road signs and so much more come from steel. Just the term “American steel” sounds so awesome and strong.

Nothing has that type of support. Free ice-cream wouldnt get 95% approval.

You personally attacked me and then tried to walk it back without an apology???? No, I don't think we could get along in real life, because I have absolutely no patience for condescension and "mansplaining".

You're not listening to people, you lecturing them from your imagined position of authority. And you're getting EVERYTHING WRONG!
:boo_hoo14: :auiqs.jpg:

Agreed. How is it government workers can retire at the age of 55 while the rest of us have to wait until the age of 67 for full retirement benefits? That's right, because the taxpayer is paying for it instead of private industry.
Governme t workers get SS the same time as everyone else.

Who has control of televisions these days mostly ,…Toshiba? Obviously we get a lot of the stuff from Japan my friend. But I give credit to Japanese engineers they make some pretty good Automobiles these days.

With regards to mass consumerism today. We still use steel in abundance. Perhaps the difference of today that is quite glaring compared to the American past ….is we have many more fast food chains in mega stores like Walmart and target that don’t pay much to workers in this country and that is a bad part of mass consumerism.

There’s also a problem with the changing of jobs in America…. because going back to the time period We are talking about you could see one factory employing 40,000 people. Whether it be Republic steel or Bethlehem steel here in Buffalo New York they employed tens of thousands of people at each of their plants. All of those folks had union jobs. And this type of site where one factory or one large building employs 40,000 even 100,000 people it seems like those days are gone and I don’t know if that’s a good thing. So in some way shape or form the question is can that type of situation be brought back.?

Can big tech give us good jobs. Tesla cannot give us good jobs they have a number of plants all over the country including one in Buffalo that took over the former Bethlehem steel plant. And it’s an ugly site Tesla in Buffalo in Plaza about 500 people and nonunion jobs that pay a non-competitive rate something like $17 an hour with no upward mobility no pension no union protection. Whereas back in the day I Bethlehem Steel you were making $30 an hour after six months on the job adjusted for inflation of course to today’s currency. And you had a pension. And you were making an American product …American steel that we saw in our skyscrapers, we see today in our bridges and we see all over the country…. steel is still very much in use.

The big companies these days are Tesla, Amazon and Google. Not everyone can get a job in tech though and honestly can the tech industry give someone a great job out of high school like we used to be able to get with union jobs?. So there’s a great concern in going forward for the country with regard to having a strong middle class.

Nowadays it seems to be about the service industry and tech jobs in this country. And there’s a few concerns there. What about all that union jobs that folks used to be able to get it right out of high school working at a steel mill or auto plants and they be set for life. Plus with big tech and the service industry going woke, this is a problem for American culture it’s making this week. What does steel jobs, the auto jobs and we can also talk about police jobs working as a correction officer in a New York state prison for example those jobs create muscles and they make men and women strong. They also provide a very good pension.
Toshiba? Why are you so ignorant?

I believe in the right to form a union and that unions have played an important role is us becoming the nation we are I also believe that today's unions have become corrupt and greedy and are not much different from those they fight against.

@Grumblenuts

Sorry, bub. You have no idea. That comes as no surprise, you being rather new here and all. But neither me nor anyone else here owes you a damned thing. We don't have to participate in your stupid poll. You have no more right to badger people into doing things for you than anyone else, regardless of any silly excuse you may dream up to rationalize this shitty behavior of yours in your own little head. Learn to be socially conscious. Quit being such a brat. Earn some respect before inviting others to play your silly, patronizing, Mr.-Know-It-All games.
This is about participation and common decency.
:auiqs.jpg:
This is about you stroking your bloated ego. Get over yourself.

Last edited:
I believe in the right to form a union and that unions have played an important role is us becoming the nation we are I also believe that today's unions have become corrupt and greedy and are not much different from those they fight against.
Unions are just like Wall Street.

Petty every day grievances are petty things that sort themselves out. Who cares if you had to take a vacation day or loss day because it took longer than usual to you to go to granny's funeral in Hawaii.

The older workers may be otherwise making less. The younger workers not so much. That is the rub of their continued existence though--money and benefits and shielding the shadiest employees who otherwise would be fired. Their rate of participation continues to slide and will likely slide further.

Well you've definitely drunk the right wing Kool-Aid on labour issues.

The petty grievances don't "sort themselves out". They sit and they fester, and they poison the workplace. They result in high turnover, which is expensive for companies. It costs a company between 30 to 50% of their annual salary to replace one employee. Forbes says its 33% on average.

Much of the chaos and dysfunction of the Trump Administration was because nobody knew what they were doing initially, and 25% of the staff left in the first year of the Administration. Nobody stayed long enough to learn how to do the job.

Much of the legislative success of the Obama Administration and now the Biden Administration is that NO ONE quit in the first year of either Administration. Everybody came in with experience and/or expertise, sat down, and got to work. Obama and Biden spent their transition time setting up their teams, and sorting out assignments. But since Obama, Congress has been very slow to confirm appointments.

Forum List

Back