Do You Have the "Disease" to Please?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
This "Disease" Can Be Costly
By Mart Hunt, Everyday Cheapskate
July 27 2005

I could never be a medical transcriptionist. It's not that I couldn't keep up with the typing or figure out the doctors' handwriting. My problem would be the symptoms and medical conditions. I'd have all of them. To say that I am easily influenced is like saying the Titanic sprung a leak.

Knowing this about myself, I wasn't all that surprised to end up with yet another condition after watching a recent episode of "Oprah" — the disease to please. I passed their little "Do You Have the Disease to Please?" self-diagnosis quiz with flying colors. Actually, I wouldn't expect anything less from myself.

The first question: "Do you ever say Yes when what you really want to say is No?" Well, of course I do — doesn't everyone? Or how about this one: "Is it extremely important to me to be liked by nearly everyone in my life?" What kind of a question is that? Who in their right mind would answer "no" to that one? Don't we all want to be liked? I whipped through that quiz in about 10 seconds flat, answering every question "yes," "yes," "yes" and ... "yes"!

for full article: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/cheapskate1.asp

Good article. You don't think of "wanting people to like you" as a form of manipulation, but I guess it could be. If you want them to like you in order to fill a sense of insecurity in yourself, it's probably not a good motive.

mom4 said:
Good article. You don't think of "wanting people to like you" as a form of manipulation, but I guess it could be. If you want them to like you in order to fill a sense of insecurity in yourself, it's probably not a good motive.
A euphemistic way of being a suck-up I guess. Suck-ups ALWAYS have a big payback tucked in their bag of hidde agendas.

Many people have this "disease" in one form or another. In it's self-abasing form, it's saying "yes" when you want to say "no" (remember mom's teaching to always be polite and considerate of others' feelings). You find this mostly in polite society. In it's self-centered form--and to quote Dillo--it's called "suck up". You find this everywhere. :)

Forum List

Back