Do you find this photo offensive ?

This ripoff of U.S. Marines planting Old Glory on Iwo Jima was actually staged and photo taken ten years ago. However with the recent SCOTUS decision, it's been all over the internet.

I find it offensive to mess with such an iconic moment in the history of the U.S.

AND YES I AM AWARE THE ICONIC ROSENTHAL PHOTO ITSELF IS A REENACTMENT FROM AN EARLIER FLAG RAISING.

The lying bastard never took that picture. That's Photoshop bullshit if I ever saw it. Either that or Norman Rockwell has come back to life. The shadows are on the wrong sides of the mountains in the background....AND on the boulders in the foreground.

What a dupe!

How 'bout this -- does this "disrespect" the Rosenthal picture?

ol-glory.png

How 'bout these?

53qSG9vl0noBMKnB55Op8b.jpg
52wmypu_762.jpg
FutureBlues.jpg
1953-cosmos_science_fiction_and_fantasy_195309.jpg

Canned Heat "Future Blues" (1970) on left

2000AD.jpg
Iwo-Jima-jockmag.jpg
iwo-screw.png
cartoon.bmp
Iwo-Hard-Rock-Cafe.jpg
Energy-Action.jpg

Lots more too -- the most reproduced and parodied photo in history

Where was the outrage over the Canned Heat album cover? The science fiction or sports magazines? The restaurant or beer logos?

Still wanna pretend this isn't about The Gay?

This ripoff of U.S. Marines planting Old Glory on Iwo Jima was actually staged and photo taken ten years ago. However with the recent SCOTUS decision, it's been all over the internet.

I find it offensive to mess with such an iconic moment in the history of the U.S.

AND YES I AM AWARE THE ICONIC ROSENTHAL PHOTO ITSELF IS A REENACTMENT FROM AN EARLIER FLAG RAISING.

Of course not. It's using an icon as a model. Been done since the beginning of time.
There's simply no way to make a case that it's "offensive". Nor "disrespectful".

Is this photo offensive? Because it's exactly the same device:

d8074ba3cfba11d5e76ed24a7ac6d624.jpg

Apples and oranges.

Of course not. It's using an icon as a model. Been done since the beginning of time.
There's simply no way to make a case that it's "offensive". Nor "disrespectful".

Apples and oranges.

Then it's funny that no one can explain why.

Although I get the Freudian fruit reference...

Apples and oranges.

Iwo Jima symbolized a very important moment in U.S. history. It was during a war whose outcome if different could have had worldwide ramifications that we would all still be dealing with. IMO, a little more respect should be shown for this iconic moment.

As far as the famous Beatles Abbey Road moment, yes it's iconic but hardly an earth shaking moment in time.

Apples and oranges.

Iwo Jima symbolized a very important moment in U.S. history. It was during a war whose outcome if different could have had worldwide ramifications that we would all still be dealing with. IMO, a little more respect should be shown for this iconic moment.

As far as the famous Beatles Abbey Road moment, yes it's iconic but hardly an earth shaking moment in time.

Neither of those is the point.
Neither the various parodies of Iwo Jima, nor the photoshop of Abbey Road, make a comment about the original source photo. They simply use the setting as a contextual basis for their point (or joke, or advertisement, or political cartoon, or album cover, etc).

If the Iwo Jima photo never existed, all those parodies would be pretty much pointless. If the Abbey Road photo did not exist, there would be no particular joke in the Beatles on segways.

That's why I asked, by analogy, what comment does a photoshop of the Beatles on segways make about Abbey Road, or The Beatles?
Answer --- absolutely nothing. Because that's not the purpose.

Now then --- what about all those Iwo Jima album covers, and comic book covers, and advertisements, and political cartoons, that have been around for seventy years? How is it that none of those passed by without a whisper, yet as soon as a rainbow flag (which is ten years old) shows up it's suddenly "disrespectful"? Somebody's gotta show me where the consistency is in that.

What about the Oswald photo above? "Disrespectful"?

Last edited:
What I find sad is the seeming lack of respect for the 6000 plus marines who died in the battle for Iwo Jima. To compare in any way gay marriage with this battle is very disrespectful.

What I find sad is the seeming lack of respect for the 6000 plus marines who died in the battle for Iwo Jima. To compare in any way gay marriage with this battle is very disrespectful.

Again...
Again...

HOW does this photo ...... or any of the several other parodies in post 42 ....."disrespect" the marines at Iwo Jima?

Again in case you missed it, the question is HOW.

If respect for the marines didn't already exist --- there would be no point in all those parodies.

Again...
Again...

HOW does this photo ...... or any of the several other parodies in post 42 ....."disrespect" the marines at Iwo Jima?

If respect for the marines didn't already exist --- there would be no point in all those parodies.
If you really can't understand how taking what those men endured suffered and went through in the fight for that island and trying to make a comparsion of that to the fight for gay marriage is disrespectful I can't help you. All I can suggest is you read some books on the battle then see if you still feel the same way.

Again...
Again...

If you really can't understand how taking what those men endured suffered and went through in the fight for that island and trying to make a comparsion of that to the fight for gay marriage is disrespectful I can't help you. All I can suggest is you read some books on the battle then see if you still feel the same way.

I know perfectly well what Iwo Jima was, just as I know what Abbey Road was. And neither of these parodies makes a comment about the Marines or about the Beatles. Nor do they make any kind of comparison with them.

I pose the question because I already know it has no answer. Looking for one is not for my benefit, but for yours. When you see that you can't answer it, you're supposed to conclude something about what your premise was.

Apples and oranges, Pogo.

How?

ITT, Pogo knowingly plays dumb for shits and giggles.

The Beatles on segways has no clashing, ideological charge. Comparing the actual fighting and dying of brave soldiers against an evil tyrant to the gay marriage debate is stupid. That's no better than calling Obama a Muslim or Bush a Nazi. That kind of crap. There's no underlying, emotionally-driven energy to segways or the Beatles as there is with fallen war veterans and gay marriage. I guess your tune would stay the same if some conservative took something liberals value and did something similar, right?

For a liberal, you don't seem to appreciate the value of nuance.

Last edited:
While I support gay marriage and equal rights for gay people, I must say that I do find this photo to be offensive. I really wish they would stop doing these kinds of things. These things should be discouraged by other homosexuals. This is not a way to garner support for your cause. In fact, I would think it is a good way to lose some supporters.

Again...
Again...

I know perfectly well what Iwo Jima was, just as I know what Abbey Road was. And neither of these parodies makes a comment about the Marines or about the Beatles. Nor do they make any kind of comparison with them.

I pose the question because I already know it has no answer. Looking for one is not for my benefit, but for yours. When you see that you can't answer it, you're supposed to conclude something about what your premise was.
I don't care about Abby Road and if you truly knew what Iwo Jima was about and like you would understand it is a disrespectful comparsion. I suggest you take your own advice and reevealuate your own premise.

I find the comparison slightly offensive because the struggle of Iwo Jima was a hell of a lot worse than the struggle for gays right to marry.

DIGITALDRIFTER SAID:

"I find it offensive...'

Of course you do, you're a conservative, where most on the right are easily offended.

And like most on the right you don't get it.

The image actually honors those who fought and died to protect our freedom, including the freedom of gay Americans.

DIGITALDRIFTER SAID:

"I find it offensive...'

Of course you do, you're a conservative, where most on the right are easily offended.

And like most on the right you don't get it.

The image actually honors those who fought and died to protect our freedom, including the freedom of gay Americans.

Now that's a laugh, the left wrote the book on being offended. You guys and your constant whining are why the rest of us have to walk on eggshells in this country and be careful of each and every word that is uttered.

As for the picture, yes the Marines fought for all of us, that doesn't mean however that this captured iconic moment should be disrespected. photographers, cartoonists, illustrators, etc, would leave this scene alone.

Maybe gays should create their own illustrated moment, that is unique and explains their struggle.

Forum List

Back