Do you carry a knife for self defense?

Dont bring a knive to a gunfight. I conceal carry this..

lg_hk45c.jpg

Here's my latest Acquisition

DSCF1614.jpg

Some interesting reading on "knife fighting" and why I think carrying a knife for defense is a bad idea and just asking for trouble'.

Choosing a knife to carry

Marc "Animal" MacYoung on knife fighting

A crazy amount of good information on all sorts of other things on that site too.

One of the things that is important is YOU must know what self-defense really is, NOT what you think it is. Acting on what you think self-defense is while holding an item will get you into deep trouble. Weapons are like power tools, mistakes happen faster and when they do, they are bloody.

I took a lot of knife fighting classes when I was younger. Like all small weapons, the effectiveness depends on the skill of the person wielding it. The only weapon that is effective by the untrained is a gun.

I carry a knife at all times. It could be used for self defense, I suppose, but my .44 is just so much more impressive.

Just like the gun, if you pull the knife, you better be prepared to use it. The purpose of a knife in a fight is to kill or maim your opponent, not to scare them. The most effective technique is to conceal the blade as much as possible.

Knives are notorious for being turned back on their owners, so one better be prepared to kill before introducing it to the conflict.

Just curious what people's thoughts on this are.

If you carry a gun instead, that's a whole other issue and getting into a big discussion about it here probably isn't worth anybody's time other than a "no, I carry a gun".

Me personally, I think it's a good way to escalate a situation and get yourself severely injured and or killed when you otherwise probably wouldn't have.

There is no such thing as a knife "fight".

The only reason I bring it up is because I just tucked a pocket knife away into my new bag I got to carry my lunch/water and other items to and from work. Strictly utility. I also have a small key chain box cutter that I use while actually working since I break down boxes and cut plastic so frequently. I was just curious how misinformed people are about the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense.

I always have a knife of some sort on me but nothing I would call suitable for self defense.

I have my Springfield Armory .45 ACP single stack for that.
DSCN92471.jpg

If you carry a gun instead, that's a whole other issue and getting into a big discussion about it here probably isn't worth anybody's time other than a "no, I carry a gun".

Me personally, I think it's a good way to escalate a situation and get yourself severely injured and or killed when you otherwise probably wouldn't have.

The only reason I bring it up is because I just tucked a pocket knife away into my new bag I got to carry my lunch/water and other items to and from work. Strictly utility. I also have a small key chain box cutter that I use while actually working since I break down boxes and cut plastic so frequently. I was just curious how misinformed people are about the wisdom of carrying a knife for self defense.

Unless you live in an excessively dangerous area (like some parts of the south side of Chicago), I think it's completely ridiculous to carry a gun or a knife on you at all times.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea to keep a gun/knife at home for self defense, but I think carrying a weapon around with you is only encouraging the possibility for bad situations to escalate into worse ones.

Fortunately, 99.9% of America is not a war-zone, so lets keep it that way. Carrying around weapons is excessive and unnecessary.

It's not only the South Side, its the East Side, West Side, parts of the north... Hell, parts of Gurnee, Waukegan and all of North Chicago are fucked up - Zion is too.

I suppose that is what happens when progressives close the projects in the Chi and ship everyone on section 8 out to the burbs.... They fuck it up.

Those gorillas love to destroy shit......

I carry a SOG multitool that protects me from loose screws,unstripped wires,, unopened beer bottles, and several other dangerous acts.
A very effective weapon also. Just grab a bit of flesh in the mid-section and squeeze the handles. The perp will pass out from the pain.
I don't carry a defensive knife because I don't feel I need to. But if I did I would choose one with a 3-1/2" (legal) razor sharp blade with a one-hand opening feature and I wouldn't think of using it unless I was attacked and felt seriously threatened.

The problem with this is if you ever needed a knife, all of a sudden felt you need it to defend yourself, you would get hurt unless you knew how to use it. You have to practice to be able to use it has a defensive weapon. I suggest get one and practice with it.
Then when it comes time to really have to cut somebody, at least you are comfortable handling the knife.

Another formidable weapon against certain groups is a large pair of scissors. I have seen people more deathly afraid of scissors than any knife you could pull on them.

I always have a knife of some sort on me but nothing I would call suitable for self defense.

DSCN92471.jpg
That looks more like a .380 to me.

DSCN92471.jpg

Nope it's a .45

actualsize1.jpg

http://xdspistol.com/

Last edited:
How so?
Depending on the severity of the situation would dictate which weapon I would use.
Hands feet mini mag flash lights with keys
Knife hands feet
Gun

You are a real pussy if you need all of that hardware.

Are you in Afghanistan?

I don't understand your thinking Anyone with any type of defensive training will call you're kind of thinking stupid.

Why do you need to carry weapons, I have never had to? You must be really scared.

DSCN92471.jpg

Nope it's a .45

actualsize1.jpg

XD-S Compact 45ACP Pistol | Springfield Armory USA
I just acquired a BOND ARMS .45Colt 2-shot derringer with 4.25" barrel....shoots .45Colt or .410 3" shells..

..and I am salivating over a S&W 7 shot .357mag with 6" barrel.

You are a real pussy if you need all of that hardware.

Are you in Afghanistan?

I don't understand your thinking Anyone with any type of defensive training will call you're kind of thinking stupid.

Why do you need to carry weapons, I have never had to? You must be really scared.

Why would you say I was scared? If I was scared I just carry my 45 alone. and nothing else. The fist and feet come before the mini mag the mini mag comes before the knife and the knife comes before the gun. What in the fuck is wrong with you are you stupid?

Forum List

Back