Do We Really Need Guns?

It's my first thread here, and I want to start with the issue, that worries me a lot.

Gun owners always claim that they own guns for self protection, even though the guns in their homes impose a much greater risk to their lives than an intruder. They also state they need guns to protect themselves from the government and from tthr police. Oh, seriously? Other argument for guns is hunting. Food production in the US is quite complex and capable of providing all types of foods to all parts of the country. And, if someone is too poor to buy food to eat, they are too poor to buy weapons. So what for?! Explain me, please.

I truly believe, that guns only do harm There is no use for guns in our society. The 2nd amendment was made in a time where guns were necessary because of the British.
Fuck off you stupid little c***!
The FIRST place you'd run to if your home was about to be invaded would be to the MAN down the road with a NRA sign on his lawn.
Permanent Ignore asshole!

It's my first thread here, and I want to start with the issue, that worries me a lot.

Gun owners always claim that they own guns for self protection, even though the guns in their homes impose a much greater risk to their lives than an intruder. They also state they need guns to protect themselves from the government and from tthr police. Oh, seriously? Other argument for guns is hunting. Food production in the US is quite complex and capable of providing all types of foods to all parts of the country. And, if someone is too poor to buy food to eat, they are too poor to buy weapons. So what for?! Explain me, please.

I truly believe, that guns only do harm There is no use for guns in our society. The 2nd amendment was made in a time where guns were necessary because of the British.

Welcome PGreen! (did anyone say that?)

Two years ago (to mark time it was right in between Bob Costas and Newtown, which in turn fell between Michael Dunn and William Spengler -- etc etc) I came to this site on exactly the same issue. I see you've just met one of our more meltdowny minds in the previous post -- there will be a lot of that. I'll just note that that sort of emotional tone speaks far more eloquently than any words can.

Pressed for time at the moment and will have to return later but just wanted to make contact and mark the thread for later. :thup:

Last edited:

While I recognize your good intentions there is a need for guns. Think of it as an unpleasant necessity. Until they find a way to keep people from breaking into your home there will always be a need for guns.

There are some people that like to hunt for their food. While the argument can be made that hunters are sissies that need a gun to hunt there are some instances when a bear for example will simply outclass you. The meat in the stores are full of chemicals and even the organic meat depends on if you actually trust and believe the suppliers.

Pcgreen...this is an untrue statement...your stats are wrong...

Gun owners always claim that they own guns for self protection, even though the guns in their homes impose a much greater risk to their lives than an intruder.

actual studies show that the actual indicators are drug or alcohol abuse or a violent home life that leads to the risk...not the weapon...and the study you probably saw...included criminals who killed other criminals, because they knew each other, as deaths in the home....

They also state they need guns to protect themselves from the government and from tthr police.

The 20th century actually happened....close to 100 million people were murdered by their governments...as to the silly statement that armed civilians could never stand up to the U.S. military because of their advanced weapons....the terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan fought our army to a stand still in only 12 years.....to think our people would simply roll over in the face of government murder is silly.....
Ever notice how those tens of millions of government murders in Europe are never figured into their murder rates?

good thread if it continues !!

Oh it will. We can take that to the bank.

In a perfect world it wouldn't, because there just wouldn't be the interest. I don't think we're nearly there yet.

Yes, that perfect world of rainbows, of cars running on pixie sneezes and bad people repelled by unicorn farts.
In a Republic of Virtue, stupidity would be a capital crime.

I totally agree with you, and congratulations on having the cojones to raise this issue.

Countries with less guns are almost always safer than the US, and that is simply a cold, hard truth that few gun rights fanatics are willing to admit.

I totally support peoples' right to own a gun for hunting or target shooting, but all of countries should have safety-based gun laws aimed at protecting life first and foremost. No one needs an assault rifle at home.

I've posted this graph from the Washington Post before, but have yet to see anyone deny the inconvenient truth of it:

imrs.php

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-25_18-40-3.jpeg
    upload_2014-11-25_18-40-3.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 94

I totally agree with you, and congratulations on having the cojones to raise this issue.

Countries with less guns are almost always safer than the US, and that is simply a cold, hard truth that few gun rights fanatics are willing to admit.

I totally support peoples' right to own a gun for hunting or target shooting, but all of countries should have safety-based gun laws aimed at protecting life first and foremost. No one needs an assault rifle at home.

And it doesn't seem to have been noted here, but the key word in the thread premise is "need". Once we figure that out we might go somewhere.

don't think the graph matters , not to me anyway Saigon . Safer society [fer the herd] is not my goal , my goal is safety for me , my wife , kids and neighbors and all that while not even addressing the original intent of the '2nd Amendment .

and that's while I assume that the graph MAY be accurate but it doesn't matter to me if its accurate or inaccurate Saigon !!

don't think the graph matters , not to me anyway . Safer society [fer the herd] is not my goal , my goal is safety for me , my wife , kids and neighbors and all that while not even addressing the original intent of the '2nd Amendment .

So if you live in a society with 10 times as many murders as my country - how are you safer?

You aren't, you know.

So England is "safer" than the US?

It helps when the police fudge the crime data.

Your concern for our rights is charming, now go fuck off.

Forum List

Back