Do we have a right to not be discriminated against

Should government protect a universal right to be treated equally in "public accommodations"? In employment? Education? Any social settings?

I'm trying to get my head around the general point of view that discrimination should be illegal. I'm not sure we have much clarity on what it means, other than ad hoc provisions regarding specific circumstances.
I'd be happy to discriminate against you!

Ha! Just saw my typo. hmmmm

Forcing us not to discriminate is to think for us.

Liberalism has given birth to Big Brother, our savior.

Its requiring a minimum code of conduct while performing business in a given state.
A "minimum code of conduct."

Still an undergrad in Poli. Sci.?

Notice you don't actually disagree with me. Try that before you start babbling about 'poli sci'.
Did you notice that I agree?

And the blacks who were told they wouldn't be served at the lunch counter could just go to another restaurant, huh?
Honestly? Yeah. And they were well within their rights to start a black-only restaurant as well (though the white supremacist social structure of the time would have wrongly denied them the ability to exercise that right).

In full honesty I just wouldn't really have a problem wandering into, say, a black-only store and being informed that I wasn't going to be served there. That's because the business owner has the right to refuse to make a contract with me. If my business isn't wanted there, then I can take it elsewhere. If they reject enough customers then they'll go out of business. That's how capitalism works. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum and cry about it to every activist group I can find so they can rain legal hell and shut the business down, force the owner's family into the gutter, and gloat about my victory for justice and tolerance while I piss on them all for it. I'm just not liberal like that, you know?

Last edited:
Should government protect a universal right to be treated equally in "public accommodations"? In employment? Education? Any social settings?

The issue is commerce. If its commerce related, the State's authority to regulate intrastate commerce is unquestioned.

Oh, it's 'questioned' more than you might guess. So should this apply to all parties engaging in commerce?

Then you expect any business to contract with the kkk if they demand it, any muslim restaurant to cater a Christian wedding and serve pork because they demand it, anyone with a gun that has a permit for open carry to be served, if they demand it? All against the beliefs of the business owner.

Yeah. It's problematic, at best, to even attempt to 'protect' such a right.

"Should government protect a universal right to be treated equally in "public accommodations"? In employment? Education? Any social settings?"

Yes, yes, yes, many not any.
Agree. If you are a business that is operated to make money off the public then you need to make money off the public, no matter who they are. Otherwise, find other employment.
That is some simpleton logic.

"Should government protect a universal right to be treated equally in "public accommodations"? In employment? Education? Any social settings?"

Agree. If you are a business that is operated to make money off the public then you need to make money off the public, no matter who they are. Otherwise, find other employment.
Another bullshit principle of liberalism with no basis in fact. What if you only want to make money off of heterosexuals?

The issue is commerce. If its commerce related, the State's authority to regulate intrastate commerce is unquestioned.

Oh, it's 'questioned' more than you might guess. So should this apply to all parties engaging in commerce?

The State and Intrastate commerce? Not really.

And you asked under which social situations these types of laws would apply. The answer is situations of commerce.

So, for those of you answering in the affirmative, do you agree we should abolish protected classes, and just go with the idea that everyone should be treated equally?

And the blacks who were told they wouldn't be served at the lunch counter could just go to another restaurant, huh?
Honestly? Yeah. And they were well within their rights to start a black-only restaurant as well (though the white supremacist social structure of the time would have wrongly denied them the ability to exercise that right).

In full honesty I just wouldn't really have a problem wandering into, say, a black-only store and being informed that I wasn't going to be served there. That's because the business owner has the right to refuse to make a contract with me. If my business isn't wanted there, then I can take it elsewhere. If they reject enough customers then they'll go out of business. That's how capitalism works. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum and cry about it to every activist group I can find so they can rain legal hell and shut the business down, force the owner's family into the gutter, and gloat about my victory for justice and tolerance while I piss on them all for it. I'm just not liberal like that, you know?

I'd have a problem with both scenarios.

So, for those of you answering in the affirmative, do you agree we should abolish protected classes, and just go with the idea that everyone should be treated equally?
Nope. I don't believe in abolishing protected classes. As not all folks are subject to discrimination equally.

And you asked under which social situations these types of laws would apply. The answer is situations of commerce.

My point is, should it apply to all parties engaged in commerce, or just certain classes?

My point is, should it apply to all parties engaged in commerce, or just certain classes?

It should apply where issues of discrimination are significant.

Another bullshit principle of liberalism with no basis in fact. What if you only want to make money off of heterosexuals?
Open a Christian bookstore, be a portrait painter, cater Christian events, start a fee based club. The list goes on and on and on.

Nope. I don't believe in abolishing protected classes. As not all folks are subject to discrimination equally.

Well, that's why I posed the question as I did in the OP - asking whether we all have a right to be treated equally. Because that's not what current anti-discrimination law does.

Forum List

Back