anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
It is true that girls have a higher chance to get into college than males. But...don't we fail them it explorations and discoveries? For example, see how many girl astronauts exist and how many male ones? We need to put more money in promoting adventure for girls. Your take?

Boys get far more athletic scholarships, and basket weaving courses are set up to keep them in college.

It is true that girls have a higher chance to get into college than males. But...don't we fail them it explorations and discoveries? For example, see how many girl astronauts exist and how many male ones? We need to put more money in promoting adventure for girls. Your take?

No....we need to educate girls and boys and let them do what they want with their educations......enough meddling...let people be free...

Boys get far more athletic scholarships, and basket weaving courses are set up to keep them in college.

Over 50% of college students are now women......

Don't doubt it.

Too many boys spend their time trying to either get an athletic scholarship, or go pro right out of high school, to keep up the grades they need for college.

It is true that girls have a higher chance to get into college than males. But...don't we fail them [in] explorations and discoveries? For example, see how many girl astronauts exist and how many male ones? We need to put more money in promoting adventure for girls. Your take?

Anecdotally, I have no reason to think that. My the females I've raised/mentored have been admitted nearly everywhere they applied, only occasionally not being offered admission, and all the schools in question are so-called "elite." My sons and male mentorees have had the same experience. One of my sons applied to the Sorbonne and wasn't admitted, but then again, he applied there only because it's 15 minutes walking distance from our vacation flat in Paris and he was psyched about the idea of living in Paris for several years.

As you can tell from the remark about my son, I think where folks get admitted is a function of their applying to places that are good fits for them, not just because "this or that" ancillary trait of the institution appeals to them. In my son's case, I think his French being good enough only to order food in restaurants and go shopping is why he didn't get admitted. I thought the Sorbonne was an unstrategic choice for him; however, I was willing, as befits any similarly situated good parent would be, to pay for it if he got accepted and chose it over the other schools that accepted him.

On the other hand, hypocritically, I refused to pay for any of the schools he applied to on the West Coast because I simply refuse to support my kids living in an earthquake and tidal wave zone. My hypocrisy is what inspired him to apply to the Sorbonne for what he deemed, rightly, to be a reason as every bit as superficial as my reason for refusing to pay for him to go to school on the West Coast. We are both quite content with the choice he finally made. (FWIW, he has the money to pay for whatever school he wants to attend, although if he used it to pay for a West Coast school, there'd be little left upon his graduating. That apparently didn't sit well with him. LOL)

Red:
I doubt it, but checking the male-to-female ratios at the nations' colleges and universities will give a fair approximation to the answer, I suspect. I realize that enrollments aren't the same things as offers of admission, but on the face of things, I see no reason to think that acceptances of admissions offers occur at materially different rates for women than they do for men at any given or given group of schools. If they do, I suppose one could account for that in analyzing the results one obtains from such a search.

Blue:
There's no question that certain fields have been historically very heavily male dominated. Some of them, such as physics, even have had deliberate biases against women until recently.

Girls and women mature earlier and are more likely to value education, so they take advantage of it when given the chance, generally speaking. They are more socialized as well, so they trend more to ideals and respect for merit, so yes it's only natural for them to do better in structured environments like academia and corporate life when artificial cultural barriers are removed.

And no, schools aren't failing girls any more so than males; they generally suck at serving both sexes when they're badly run.

Last edited:
It is true that girls have a higher chance to get into college than males. But...don't we fail them [in] explorations and discoveries? For example, see how many girl astronauts exist and how many male ones? We need to put more money in promoting adventure for girls. Your take?

Anecdotally, I have no reason to think that. My the females I've raised/mentored have been admitted nearly everywhere they applied, only occasionally not being offered admission, and all the schools in question are so-called "elite." My sons and male mentorees have had the same experience. One of my sons applied to the Sorbonne and wasn't admitted, but then again, he applied there only because it's 15 minutes walking distance from our vacation flat in Paris and he was psyched about the idea of living in Paris for several years.

As you can tell from the remark about my son, I think where folks get admitted is a function of their applying to places that are good fits for them, not just because "this or that" ancillary trait of the institution appeals to them. In my son's case, I think his French being good enough only to order food in restaurants and go shopping is why he didn't get admitted. I thought the Sorbonne was an unstrategic choice for him; however, I was willing, as befits any similarly situated good parent would be, to pay for it if he got accepted and chose it over the other schools that accepted him.

On the other hand, hypocritically, I refused to pay for any of the schools he applied to on the West Coast because I simply refuse to support my kids living in an earthquake and tidal wave zone. My hypocrisy is what inspired him to apply to the Sorbonne for what he deemed, rightly, to be a reason as every bit as superficial as my reason for refusing to pay for him to go to school on the West Coast. We are both quite content with the choice he finally made. (FWIW, he has the money to pay for whatever school he wants to attend, although if he used it to pay for a West Coast school, there'd be little left upon his graduating. That apparently didn't sit well with him. LOL)

Red:
I doubt it, but checking the male-to-female ratios at the nations' colleges and universities will give a fair approximation to the answer, I suspect. I realize that enrollments aren't the same things as offers of admission, but on the face of things, I see no reason to think that acceptances of admissions offers occur at materially different rates for women than they do for men at any given or given group of schools. If they do, I suppose one could account for that in analyzing the results one obtains from such a search.

Blue:
There's no question that certain fields have been historically very heavily male dominated. Some of them, such as physics, even have had deliberate biases against women until recently.

What is it with the Red and blue thing...I don't get it.

The US school systems and social consciousness typically promote white males and their ideology.. Thats just the way its set up. When the founders of this country stated that all men were created equal they were really just talking about white males. In order to succeed in the US you have to be 10x mentally stronger than any white male.

Over 50% of college students are now women......

Meaningless. The courses they take are worthless.
Worthless in the context of this thread which is science, engineering, and exploration, but they consider those humanism courses like political classes to build power for themselves, and as a result, they end up with an as high living standard as any engineer or scientist, even though they don't ever work a full day at anything.

The US school systems and social consciousness typically promote white males and their ideology.. Thats just the way its set up. When the founders of this country stated that all men were created equal they were really just talking about white males. In order to succeed in the US you have to be 10x mentally stronger than any white male.
This means racial bias rather than gender bias. It exists too though, I heard that American teachers regularly fail to notify black parents about their children's misbehavior and just routinely drop them, whilst they do communicate with white parents. This is however a different topic from this thread's subject specific gender inequalities.

In the US, far more women are entering universities and getting degrees than are men. We are not failing women students in this country. They choose their own career paths. Maybe, on the whole, women are not interested in 'adventure' careers. Or maybe it depends on what you consider an adventure. As far back as I can remember, I wanted to travel and live outside the US. I managed to find a career path that allowed me to do that. It has been quite an adventure. I don't need to go to outer space to find a life full of new experiences and adventures.

In the US, far more women are entering universities and getting degrees than are men. We are not failing women students in this country. They choose their own career paths. Maybe, on the whole, women are not interested in 'adventure' careers. Or maybe it depends on what you consider an adventure. As far back as I can remember, I wanted to travel and live outside the US. I managed to find a career path that allowed me to do that. It has been quite an adventure. I don't need to go to outer space to find a life full of new experiences and adventures.
So much for all the money to make marketing, or even movies, with girl scientists, girl engineers, and girl soldiers in them. Every work environment loses a little if only one gender is represented in it. If girls could assemble bombs and fly jets in ww2, then why would they refuse to do this now?

So much for all the money to make marketing, or even movies, with girl scientists, girl engineers, and girl soldiers in them. Every work environment loses a little if only one gender is represented in it. If girls could assemble bombs and fly jets in ww2, then why would they refuse to do this now?
Maybe they are just not interested? During WWII they had the incentive to be doing something for our cause. Not the same thing today.

Maybe we should be putting more value on the type of work women do instead of wishing they would be the same as men.
This is an interesting concept, and goes directly against the feminism propaganda. Also interesting, why this aspect is never marketed. Most people don't even know what these items are. Do you have a few to throw in here? Would be interesting for discussion.

Maybe we should be putting more value on the type of work women do instead of wishing they would be the same as men.
This is an interesting concept, and goes directly against the feminism propaganda. Also interesting, why this aspect is never marketed. Most people don't even know what these items are. Do you have a few to throw in here? Would be interesting for discussion.
I think all one would need to do is look up the statistics on what programs women are entering at university level. Obviously, that is what they are interested in. Why is engineering valued more than teaching, for example? Perhaps many women go into teaching. Where would our nation be without educators? Or medicine, doctors? I know of many young women who enter the field of medicine. Why is that not promoted as much as engineering?

Red:

Blue:

What is it with the Red and blue thing...I don't get it.

Because that is how we have been trained to see the world. The problem is either one or the other party in Washington, but never both.

Forum List

Back