Zone1 Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I did not know about the "Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die:" Christians and Home Schooling

Incredible story. Wish younger people were at usmb, rather mostly too old we/us.

Aaron had grown up believing Christians could out-populate atheists and Muslims by scorning birth control; Christina had been taught the Bible-based arithmetic necessary to calculate the age of a universe less than 8,000 years old. Their education was one in which dinosaurs were herded aboard Noahā€™s ark ā€” and in which the penalty for doubt or disobedience was swift. Sometimes they still flinched when they remembered their parentsā€™ literal adherence to the words of the Old Testament: ā€œDo not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.ā€

ā€œItā€™s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse. ... At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you donā€™t even realize you need help.ā€ā€” Christina Beall

ā€˜Breaking the childā€™s willā€™​

There are kids just like those arising today, especially in the black community.

I was raised in a non-Christian home and was beaten with all sorts of implements, and I turned out alright (except for several nervous 'tics').

Hitting a child in public today will result in a YouTube video and a call to the police

When I grew up, if a child was disrespectful or threw a tantrum in public, people expected you to beat him.
If you didnā€™t, you were considered a weak parent

Hitting a child in public today will result in a YouTube video and a call to the police

When I grew up, if a child was disrespectful or threw a tantrum in public, people expected you to beat him.
If you didnā€™t, you were considered a weak parent
My dad's favorite weapon was a 'razor strap', but most often just his hand across the back of your head. My grandmother used an oak yardstick or an extension cord. My mother would die before she would hit any of us. I was 'head shy' around my father well into my teens.

As a father I only had to use 'corporal punishment' once on my son and my daughter.

I did not know about the "Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die:" Christians and Home Schooling

Incredible story. Wish younger people were at usmb, rather mostly too old we/us.

Aaron had grown up believing Christians could out-populate atheists and Muslims by scorning birth control; Christina had been taught the Bible-based arithmetic necessary to calculate the age of a universe less than 8,000 years old. Their education was one in which dinosaurs were herded aboard Noahā€™s ark ā€” and in which the penalty for doubt or disobedience was swift. Sometimes they still flinched when they remembered their parentsā€™ literal adherence to the words of the Old Testament: ā€œDo not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.ā€

ā€œItā€™s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse. ... At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you donā€™t even realize you need help.ā€ā€” Christina Beall

The concept of "corporal" punishment often gets twisted by the interpretation. However, in the OT, it does say that stubborn and rebellious sons that are glutton and drunkards should be stoned to death and remove "evil" from your midst. That is in Deuteronomy 21:18-21. Verse 18 indicates that the punishment was only meted out after a persistent refusal to heed both father and mother after all other discipline like spankings with a rod failed. It was also something that would adversely affect the family and community. They didn't have places to put insane persons away out in the wilderness. They didn't have the medicines we have today either. The reason Israel wandered for 40 years (maybe even more) was to clean the evil of Egypt from the people before entering into the Promised Land. People were also stoned to death for gathering and eating manna as well. The conditions were quite different from our "civilized" societies of today. To judge without empathy or knowing what was going on and why these laws were written, is evil in and of itself.
So, back to the rod, spare the rod and spoil the child. Discipline is important when training a child. Perhaps how it is done is more important. The word "beat" can be translated to "spank" as well. I rarely spanked my three children. They usually learned after the first. With my first born, he was like me when I was young. He was thin and of lower size than other children his age. His little behind made it difficult to spank with my hand. The first time I did so I was horrified as I barely spanked him and I thought I rearranged his insides. So, I took my belt off, choked up on it substantially, enough to get a sting but not a welt to make any marks and spanked him. The intent was to get a sting enough to get his attention to stop his conniption fit he would have. It worked. Then, as instructed, give him increased love and a good talking to. My other children didn't need the same as a quick hand spank would work.
Parents who think it's wrong to spank a child end up wondering why their children turn out on drugs and end up in prison.

"This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

Stoning for Adultery According to Christianity

The Old Testament (King James Version) prescribed death punishment by stoning for several crimes (Jacobs, 1964) including stealing (Joshua, 7:20-26), Sabbath breaking (Numbers, 15:32-36), preaching or practicing a different religion, blasphemy (Lev, 24:10- 16), cursing God and the king (Kings, 21:1-16), being a medium or a wizard (Levi, 20:27), being a stubborn or rebellious son (Deut, 21:18-21), and other major crimes. Stoning was one of the primary methods of capital punishment in the Old Testament.

The basis for punishment of stoning specifically for adultery is clearly provided in Leviticus (20:10-12) which reads: "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, even with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and adulteress must be put to death...." Further, in Deuteronomy (22:22-24), it is stated that, "If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you should take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death."

How freakish
It happens a lot. Children who are spoiled thinking they can get away with bad things end up doing bad things that get them thrown in prison. The only way they escape this is by becoming Democrat politicians and then they can escape the law.

Are you sure? Or, just guessing?

Read

His parents did not spare the rod.
I'm messing with ya but, the concept in the OT laws were for protection against evils the would tear the tribe of Israel apart. Sexual sins especially as with unrest and uncivil behaviors or rioting. Such as things they did at Mount Sinai. You can see the unrest in the U.S. now because we have lost our way when it comes to sexual deviances and we no longer have control of our own children in many Democrat run cities and states.

It happens a lot. Children who are spoiled thinking they can get away with bad things end up doing bad things that get them thrown in prison. The only way they escape this is by becoming Democrat politicians and then they can escape the law.
Nah, you don't have any idea how much it happens. This is just stuff you make up because it aligns with things in your favorite religious text.

Using instruments other than your hand to swat the kid's rear, is abuse. Period.

"This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

Stoning for Adultery According to Christianity

The Old Testament (King James Version) prescribed death punishment by stoning for several crimes (Jacobs, 1964) including stealing (Joshua, 7:20-26), Sabbath breaking (Numbers, 15:32-36), preaching or practicing a different religion, blasphemy (Lev, 24:10- 16), cursing God and the king (Kings, 21:1-16), being a medium or a wizard (Levi, 20:27), being a stubborn or rebellious son (Deut, 21:18-21), and other major crimes. Stoning was one of the primary methods of capital punishment in the Old Testament.

The basis for punishment of stoning specifically for adultery is clearly provided in Leviticus (20:10-12) which reads: "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, even with the wife of his neighbour, both the adulterer and adulteress must be put to death...." Further, in Deuteronomy (22:22-24), it is stated that, "If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you should take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death."
No, this stoning is not according to Christianity. It's according to an ancient tribal custom of an ancient tribal people.

Forum List

Back