Do cars made for the general public really need to go so fast?

I agree with that.
When we drive to see Bonzi's mother, we hit a lot of open interstates with little traffic. I will speed up to 85-90 mph. It makes the trip shorter and going that fast does keep you more alert.

Nope.
Then petition your legislators to raise the speed limit for that stretch of road.

Breaking the law IS NOT a responsible solution except for criminals.

Next

Corvettes (190mph)
Mustang 5.0 (175mph)
1000HP street cars (200mph+)
Teslas (Plaid...9.2 1/4 mile) (175mph)
And there is a plethora of BMW, Ford, GM, Lexus, Nissan etc cars that can easily top 150mph.

WHY ?????

If you really think about it, if our politicians were really concerned about public safety then why allow cars that can exceed posted speed limits by 2x or even 3x ?
Isn't that doing nothing more than putting everyone else at risk?

Can anyone justify why ANY regular passenger vehicle operated on public roads NEEDS to be capable of exceeding the posted speed limits by so much?
Limiting vehicles maximum top speed to say, 10 mph over the posted speed limit (for passing only) would likelt save millions of lives over time. Disagree? WHY?

Police chases often see violent perps in getaway vehicles weaving and bobbing recklessly in and out of traffic at speeds often exceeding 100mph.
Why not limit vehicles to 10mph over the posted speed limits?

Does anyone have a legitimate argument against limiting non-emergency vehicles in this manner?
Is it really your "Right" to be able to exceed the posted speed limit by dangerous amounts?
Driving is not a Right, it is a privilege. As such, no one has the right to put others in danger due to their recklessness.
Your desire to have "Fun" should not ever supersede the safety of everyone else for a privilege. EVER.
I see idiots barrelling down neighborhood streets at 50, 60 and sometimes 70 or more in posted 30MPH zones. WTF ??
What if children are playing?
The Number ONE cause of traffic injuries and death is excessive speed.
I'm sick of imbeciles and their ability to put everyone else at risk over something that could easily be fixed.

Imagine how much safer we ALL would be if idiots were not able to go 100, 150, 200+ on PUBLIC roads and highways or run from the Police.
What possible reasonable argument could be made against this?
This could EASILY be achieved through onboard computer chips. You could still have cars that could accelerate to posted speed limits faster than others for those whose egos need constant stroking. But there is no "need" to go faster.
Then if someone is caught exceeding the posted speed limits by more than 10mph, make it LAW that the vehicle is confiscated and sold and the funds go to families of victims of speeders or to highway and road infrastructure programs.

Only first responder and emergency vehicles should be allowed to go over the speed limit.

Doesn't this just make common sense?
I suppose politicians are too busy accepting gifts from the car manufacturers to give a flying flip about sensible public safety issues.
Want to go fast? Go to the frickin race track.
An NO...this does not extend to Constitutional RIGHTS.
No they do not have to go fast.

Some commercial vehicles are equipped not to go past the speed limit. I haven't heard or read how it is working out.

They don't have to support it.
Just limit the cars horsepower from the factory.

I cannot believe the Left hasn't been all over this already as a way to reduce the use of Fossil Fuels.
Another indication public safety is NOT their concern at all.

If they really wanted to save lives they could drop the gun BS and focus on this.
FAR more lives lost to imbeciles behind the wheel.
Todays cars have electronic governors (top speed limiters) which are set by the manufacurer. Many cars are set around 113mph.
A FedEx truck is governed at 71mph. It's not about horsepower.

I don't believe in restricting the vast majority because a small minority abuses the system.

I do go to the track when I want to go fast. I drive to get there.

I don't believe in restricting the vast majority because a small minority abuses the system.

I read an interview with Kurt Busch. Nobody wants to ride with him in his street car because he drives slow. Kurt said "Hey, I drive the posted speed limit. It's the law."

Todays cars have electronic governors (top speed limiters) which are set by the manufacurer. Many cars are set around 113mph.
A FedEx truck is governed at 71mph. It's not about horsepower.

The problem with this is that people find ways around these governors.
I propose to make the engines smaller to produce less horsepower.

However, governors would be necessary in many cases since towing vehicles and commercial vehicles do need the torque and horsepower.

I read an interview with Kurt Busch. Nobody wants to ride with him in his street car because he drives slow. Kurt said "Hey, I drive the posted speed limit. It's the law."

So, how many people has Mr. Busch run down by speeding?
Many imbeciles have no concern for the safety of others. That's what this tread is about.
Making sure imbeciles aren't free to kill others recklessly.

Once again, RACING BELONGS ON A RACE TRACK...NOT ON PUBLIC ROADS

Police chases often see violent perps in getaway vehicles weaving and bobbing recklessly in and out of traffic at speeds often exceeding 100mph.
Watched a lot of criminals in cars fleeing the police on the news and youtube videos, and I've never where the guy was in a $100,000 dollar high horsepower super car like those examples listed in the OP going 200+ mph trying to get away.
The crazed criminal trying to elide the police are usually in like a Toyota, Honda, Ford, or some other basic brand of passenger car, weaving like a manic on city streets and through residential neighborhoods.

Small minority?

42 million speeding tickets

42 million speeding tickets are issued in the United States on a yearly basis.
That is 36 percent of drivers, assuming one speeding ticket per driver. In reality, 20.6 percent of drivers average a speeding ticket per year.

And this is probably the biggest reason politicians will never support public safety....too much money to be made by ignoring it.

Forum List

Back