• Philips — any Philips;

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue Bird;

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fuck disposable razors.

dovo-en-vogue-tempered-frozen-steel.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure it can be said any better than that.

But where and/ or how can I get one of ^ those ^?

You can buy them online.

There's also a national chain that's popped up in the last few years called The Art of Shaving, they have a very good selection of straight razors and safety razors, along with all the other paraphernalia.

You have to keep them ....gasp....sharp. Not sharp in the kitchen knife holder, you have to learn to strop them. Learn it or suffer death by a thousand cuts.

Several years ago a friend of mine cut his neck from ear to ear. I visited him in the psych ward and commented on his heavy beard. He replied "well, I doubt they'd give me a razor here". We both laughed.

I am bald/ shave my head...Gillette Fusion is the best!

I have been shaving for a lot of decades. The USMC told us what kind of razor to buy at Parris Island and the fuzz cheeks had to make due with a pound of Gellette razor. Everybody had to be the same and the Drill Instructors snickered at the blood. If some poor hairy Italian boy didn't shave close enough he would have to dry shave in front of the platoon. The best instrument is a sharp blade from any razor and lots of lather. I hate shaving and I always wondered how hard it is for baldies to shave your head every day.

I have been shaving for a lot of decades. The USMC told us what kind of razor to buy at Parris Island and the fuzz cheeks had to make due with a pound of Gellette razor. Everybody had to be the same and the Drill Instructors snickered at the blood. If some poor hairy Italian boy didn't shave close enough he would have to dry shave in front of the platoon. The best instrument is a sharp blade from any razor and lots of lather. I hate shaving and I always wondered how hard it is for baldies to shave your head every day.

I shave in the shower, no need for shaving cream...it takes 5 minutes.

Yeah, I'm not sure it can be said any better than that.

But where and/ or how can I get one of ^ those ^?

You can buy them online.

There's also a national chain that's popped up in the last few years called The Art of Shaving, they have a very good selection of straight razors and safety razors, along with all the other paraphernalia.

You have to keep them ....gasp....sharp. Not sharp in the kitchen knife holder, you have to learn to strop them. Learn it or suffer death by a thousand cuts.

How do old-school barbers keep theirs so sharp? I don't ever remember seeing a sharpening stone in any of the barbershops I frequented as a child with my pops.

I'm guessing that they probably soak them in some sort of peroxide to keep them hygenic and free of potential communicable diseases, but I would like to know their secret to keeping the blades so sharp.

You can buy them online.

How do old-school barbers keep theirs so sharp? I don't ever remember seeing a sharpening stone in any of the barbershops I frequented as a child with my pops.

I'm guessing that they probably soak them in some sort of peroxide to keep them hygenic and free of potential communicable diseases, but I would like to know their secret to keeping the blades so sharp.

With one of these: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_strop

You can buy them online.

They sharpened them on a strop, a leather strap they usually had attached to the side of the chair.

Another option is a Safety Razor:

razor.jpg

Almost as close a shave as a straight razor, and a little less intimidating. (Also, a lot cheaper)

I went this route for about a month recently. While it will give you an extremely close shave you have to work at it.
And since I'm a dry shaver(I shave immediately after getting out of the shower while the beard is still soft) other then a little shave lotion to reduce friction,It didnt really work for me.

I cant stand shave foams!! They're messy and it's hard to trim around the beard and stash.

Haven't used a disposable since 1991 (2nd day of boot and had to shave fast thinking about a gazillion other things until the huge laceration caught my attention.) :)

I think they're all too insanely expensive anymore, myself.

Ranker.com Best Razors

I'm thinking about getting one of those cool barbershop blades on the black market.

You can sharpen disposables and they last for months. Just run then against a piece of denim, or an old leather belt and they last and last. Found a YouTube video about it a few years ago and have been amazed at how long they last.

Another option is a Safety Razor:

razor.jpg

Almost as close a shave as a straight razor, and a little less intimidating. (Also, a lot cheaper)

I went this route for about a month recently. While it will give you an extremely close shave you have to work at it.
And since I'm a dry shaver(I shave immediately after getting out of the shower while the beard is still soft) other then a little shave lotion to reduce friction,It didnt really work for me.

I cant stand shave foams!! They're messy and it's hard to trim around the beard and stash.

I'm a hot lather shaver, the full works. I like to feel like I'm in a barbershop in the 50s.

But I haven't actually shaved in a long time, I've been growing a Grizzly Adams beard for the last year or so.

Forum List

Back