Discussing hurricanes Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?

Trump suggested dropping nuclear bombs into hurricanes to stop them from hitting the U.S.

Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.

——

Oh my God. You know what Trump thinks of treaties.

And I thought Greenland was a joke. I was wrong.

Did you even read the article? I'm guessing the answer is no. You fuckwit, do you have any idea how it pains me to defend Trump? In any fashion?

From your link:

The big picture: Trump didn't invent this idea. The notion that detonating a nuclear bomb over the eye of a hurricane could be used to counteract convection currents dates to the Eisenhower era, when it was floated by a government scientist.
  • The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."
  • The page states: "Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea."
About 3 weeks after Trump's 2016 election, National Geographic published an article titled, "Nuking Hurricanes: The Surprising History of a Really Bad Idea." It found, among other problems, that:
  • Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.

The idea dates back to the Eisenhower administration for fuck's sake. It's not even Trump's idea.

The idea dates back to Eisenhower, but that was around the time we first started to test and examine their effects, and the scientists decided that it was a very bad idea, which is why it is rarely (if ever) brought up in modern times. Trump is looking at a failed idea and asking them to make it work.

Sorry, but the highest initial radiation and blast comes from an air burst. If you did that, you would be sending a whole bunch of radiation into rain and wind, meaning contamination would be certain.

The next lowest level of initial radiation, but with longer term contamination of an area is a surface burst. And, not only would you get radiated water, but you would also cause a tsunami.

Same thing with a subsurface burst. Lots of radiation in the water, but would probably have little effect on the storm. Especially when you consider that the average hurricane eye is 19 - 40 miles in diameter. Would take a few more bombs than just one I would suspect.

Trump suggested dropping nuclear bombs into hurricanes to stop them from hitting the U.S.

Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.

——

Did you even read the article? I'm guessing the answer is no. You fuckwit, do you have any idea how it pains me to defend Trump? In any fashion?

From your link:

The big picture: Trump didn't invent this idea. The notion that detonating a nuclear bomb over the eye of a hurricane could be used to counteract convection currents dates to the Eisenhower era, when it was floated by a government scientist.
  • The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."
  • The page states: "Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea."
About 3 weeks after Trump's 2016 election, National Geographic published an article titled, "Nuking Hurricanes: The Surprising History of a Really Bad Idea." It found, among other problems, that:
  • Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.

The idea dates back to the Eisenhower administration for fuck's sake. It's not even Trump's idea.

The idea dates back to Eisenhower, but that was around the time we first started to test and examine their effects, and the scientists decided that it was a very bad idea, which is why it is rarely (if ever) brought up in modern times. Trump is looking at a failed idea and asking them to make it work.

Sorry, but the highest initial radiation and blast comes from an air burst. If you did that, you would be sending a whole bunch of radiation into rain and wind, meaning contamination would be certain.

The next lowest level of initial radiation, but with longer term contamination of an area is a surface burst. And, not only would you get radiated water, but you would also cause a tsunami.

Same thing with a subsurface burst. Lots of radiation in the water, but would probably have little effect on the storm. Especially when you consider that the average hurricane eye is 19 - 40 miles in diameter. Would take a few more bombs than just one I would suspect.

I hope you don't expect me to disagree with anything you've typed here... I won't. I agree.

Looks like Trump caught himself a big sucker fish...

HOOKED.JPG

——

From your link:

I hope you don't expect me to disagree with anything you've typed here... I won't. I agree.

Good, then you agree Trump is trying to resurrect a failed idea that has been proven to be of no benefit. I think the reason Trump is bringing it up is because blowing things up excites his base.

——

From your link:

Good, then you agree Trump is trying to resurrect a failed idea that has been proven to be of no benefit. I think the reason Trump is bringing it up is because blowing things up excites his base.

He says a lot of stupid shit that I believe he thinks are great ideas. They're not. His base is excited just by the sound of his voice, they don't need to blow things up... that's just a bonus...

Trump suggested using nuclear weapons to stop hurricanes from hitting the US, Axios reports

According to an Axios report, President Trump suggested the idea of using nuclear weapons to prevent hurricanes from hitting the US "multiple times" during his presidency. The report, which also featured a senior White House official coming to his defense, quickly sparked a discussion.Photo vi

Hey Trump tards do you give up yet Haha

Trump suggested using nuclear weapons to stop hurricanes from hitting the US, Axios reports

According to an Axios report, President Trump suggested the idea of using nuclear weapons to prevent hurricanes from hitting the US "multiple times" during his presidency. The report, which also featured a senior White House official coming to his defense, quickly sparked a discussion.Photo vi

Hey Trump tards do you give up yet Haha

The mysterious report without a link gives your OP ZERO cred :)

Anyone ever heard of operation "plowshare"? Those wacky guys over at the Pentagon came up with all sorts of fun peacetime uses for atomic bombs. Thankfully no one was ever stupid enough to try any of them.

Nuking a tropical storm would do far less to save the planet than would nuking the next Democrat Party Natioinal Convention.
Why does your kind always think violence is so funny? No wonder 3/4 of all the terrorist attacks in the US come from Republicans.

This is why Republicans are just laughable to the world. Right here on USMB they say well Eisenhower thought of it. Yeah and the US decided not to do it because of feedback they got from the scientific community. Trump has access to all that information and he’s so fucking stupid that he didn’t even bother to ask if there’s a reason why it’s not a good idea.

And when the G7 talked about climate change, trump stayed away. This is a stupid he is. This is like one incredibly ignorant and stupid human being.

And there’s nobody better to lead the Republican Party because they’re all the same.

Trump absent from G-7 session on climate

Republicans are a cancer on this planet.

Forum List

Back