Did Elizabeth Warren Open the Door to a Presidential Run?

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
People are talking about it, but today she made statements that were encouraging to some of us.

WATCH: Elizabeth Warren And Thomas Piketty Discuss Nature, Causes Of Economic Inequality

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and French economist Thomas Piketty sat down together with The Huffington Post for a nearly hour-long interview being broadcast on HuffPost Live for the first time Monday evening.

The event was taped before a standing-room audience at Boston's Old South Meeting House, where many of the key meetings leading to the American Revolution were held.

Warren, a Democrat, and Piketty each have authored books on inequality that have surged to the top of Amazon and The New York Times bestseller lists. Warren, a former professor whose work focused on bankruptcy, wrote A Fighting Chance, a memoir of her political rise and a plea for a playing field no longer tilted in favor of big banks, the wealthy and global corporations.
<more.

Would be great if she did run, at the very least to provide an alternative to Hillary. But this is years away yet.

I love her as a Senator and believe she can do many great things for America from that position. That being said, I would not want to see her in the White House.

Cause what we need is another lying, inexperienced, first term Senator in the White House.

elizabethwahoo.jpg

Folks, I'm telling ya, the GOP is mistaken if they write her off. Listen to her - she communicates on a very simple/simplistic level, almost everything is "us versus those greedy meanies", hyper-populist, comes off as very sincere, and I think she is. She would be the most effective candidate at dividing and marginalizing the successful, the achievers, from the rest of the population. If you've worked hard, sacrificed, overcome failure and achieved, she'll be able to paint you as an enemy of the state.

Roads & bridges baby, roads & bridges -- you didn't build that, you don't deserve that, you don't really own that.

She'd sell a Euro-Social Democracy like no one else could. The GOP scoffs at her at their own risk. America is changing.

Last edited:
Why do you people keep pulling crap out of the that isn't there? Even she has voiced her amazement at the idiocy.

People are talking about it, but today she made statements that were encouraging to some of us.

WATCH: Elizabeth Warren And Thomas Piketty Discuss Nature, Causes Of Economic Inequality

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and French economist Thomas Piketty sat down together with The Huffington Post for a nearly hour-long interview being broadcast on HuffPost Live for the first time Monday evening.

The event was taped before a standing-room audience at Boston's Old South Meeting House, where many of the key meetings leading to the American Revolution were held.

Warren, a Democrat, and Piketty each have authored books on inequality that have surged to the top of Amazon and The New York Times bestseller lists. Warren, a former professor whose work focused on bankruptcy, wrote A Fighting Chance, a memoir of her political rise and a plea for a playing field no longer tilted in favor of big banks, the wealthy and global corporations.
<more.

She's said repeatedly she would not run. Was she lying?

I hope she runs. I hope she gets the nomination. SHe is a shew without an ounce of sense as to what makes this country run. She is Obama with a squeaky voice and history of lying.

we might as well throw in the towel to these low information voters who put in someone like Obama with an almost 70% DISAPPROVE rating and now cheering for another one, just women

If all the republicans have is her indian story then its gonna be a lonngggggg season for their candidates come 2016. As usual they will march out the laughing stock of the US and the democrats will have professional and sane candidates...I am reading her Biography right now very interesting.

Oh that isnt the only thing.
Recall that Obama couldn't even get the Senate to confirm her as head of Consumer Affairs.

Will she be the first American Indian Prez?

Gee, Warren sat down to swap spit with a best selling author of a seriously flawed book who says we should tax the rich more.

I am sooooo surprised! This is so unlike Warren!

Mother Jones and more excuses for their dear leader

Remember their excuse for passing over Hillary was something to do about Iraq?

but that must all be water under the bridge now and she's all of eight years almost what, 70 years old now

How man frikken agencies has been created under this regime?

consumer protection agency

dear gawd we have lost being a free people

Thomas Piketty is one of France&#8217;s great (self-)anointed. Like the rest of his cohort, he eagerly supported François Hollande in the run-up to the 2012 presidential election. Once voted in, the great man started to follow Piketty&#8217;s advice, and massively raised taxes on capital. Naturally the policy failed miserably, so Piketty has published a book which explains&#8212;predictably&#8212;that his recommendations only failed because they were not applied on a worldwide basis. Apparently this book has now become a best seller.

So now Warren wants to follow the same failed ideas that Hollande fell for! Remember the high taxes on the rich he implemented?

The extraordinary thing is that Piketty&#8217;s analysis is based on a massive logical error. His thesis runs as follows: if R is the rate of return on invested capital and if G is the growth rate of the economy, since R>G, profits will grow faster than GDP, and the rich will get richer and the poor poorer. This is GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) at its most egregious. Piketty confuses the return on invested capital, or ROIC, with the growth rate of corporate profits, a mistake so basic it is scarcely believable.

Let me explain with an example. I happen to be a shareholder in an industrial bakery in the south west of France. It has a return on invested capital of 20%, but we cannot reinvest the profits in the company at 20%. If we were to reinvest the profits by putting more capital to work, the profits would not change at all, because nobody in the region is going to buy more bread and productivity gains there are non-existent. In other words, the marginal return of one more unit of capital put to work is zero. So instead of reinvesting in the bakery, we distribute the profits among the shareholders and they invest them elsewhere as they see fit. In short, our bakery has a high ROIC but no profit growth.

At the other extreme, a company expanding rapidly according to a &#8220;stack &#8217;em high, sell &#8217;em cheap&#8221; model might well show a low ROIC but very fast profit growth. Every company in the world can be &#8220;mapped&#8221; according to these two criteria: ROIC, and the growth rate of corporate profits.

Over the long term, the growth rate of corporate profits cannot be higher than the growth rate of GDP. !at&#8217;s simply because if it was, after a while corporate profits would rise to reach 100% of GDP, which we all know is silly.

http://www.fondsnieuws.nl/system/storage/serve/110794/theproblemwithpiketty.pdf

Last edited:

Forum List

Back