Despite the Brittney Griner situation, more than 30 Americans are set to head overseas to play basketball in Russia

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is a slap in the face to Griner. Now's the time for these athletes to be boycotting Russia, not providing them with entertainment.

Despite Brittney Griner being arrested and sentenced to nine years in a Russian prison, several Americans are reportedly set to play basketball in the country moving forward.
According to a report by USA TODAY, more than 30 Americans are set to head overseas to play basketball in Russia, while Griner is presumably locked up.

It's a surprising decision, to say the least.

Of course, it highlights why some Americans feel the need to play overseas - money.

The money playing basketball in Europe, especially for women, can offset the low salaries they make - at least in comparison to those in the NBA.

Still, fans are concerned.

If they follow the rules and obey those countries laws they will be just fine.

It's not a hard concept to understand. Don't break the law and you won't get in trouble. Especially in another country where they don't treat criminals like children.

How is it a slap in the face to a drug smuggler to play basketball exactly? She knew it was illegal which is why she tried sneaking it in her luggage.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel the least bit sorry for her, but when you've seen all these WNBA teams and players with all the "Free Brittney" crap, and then have some of the players turn around and head there, it will only help keep the Russian basketball teams going, when you would think if they really wanted to help her, they would boycott it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel the least bit sorry for her, but when you've seen all these WNBA teams and players with all the "Free Brittney" crap, and then have some of the players turn around and head there, it will only help keep the Russian basketball teams going, when you would think if they really wanted to help her, they would boycott it.

Show that any of the few that went said anything about her situation.

Show that any of the few that went said anything about her situation.

I don't know if any of the ones that are going personally have said anything, but it's been an official stance by the WNBA to free her. You would think the players would not want to contribute anything to the country that is imprisoning her.

I don't know if any of the ones that are going personally have said anything, but it's been an official stance by the WNBA to free her. You would think the players would not want to contribute anything to the country that is imprisoning her.

Nowhere does it state that any member of the WNBA is going.

Wait we're giving billions to Ukraine to fight a war against Russia, not to mention all the "Putin" price hikes...why is FJB allowing travel to Russia?

It's a slap in the face to the United States. FDR would have tried them for treason if they went to Japan to play basketball.

Nowhere does it state that any member of the WNBA is going.

You know, you're right. I just assumed it was WNBA players going since they are the ones typically claiming they don't earn enough playing for the WNBA, and need to supplement their income in the leagues off-season.
However, after doing some more research, it appears it's men who are going.

Despite Brittney Griner's imprisonment, these Americans still plan to play basketball in Russia​

Brittney Griner sits in a Russian jail cell, trapped in a legal system with few protections. Her case, along with Russia's invasion of Ukraine, has prompted the State Department to issue stern warnings urging Americans not to travel to Russia.
Yet dozens of American basketball players are still planning to play in Russia this season.

USA TODAY Sports has identified at least 31 men and one woman who are expected to play – with the signings confirmed by either the player's representation or the team itself – in Russia’s top professional league, a development that several basketball executives and global security experts view as highly risky considering the ongoing tensions between the American and Russian governments.

This is a slap in the face to Griner. Now's the time for these athletes to be boycotting Russia, not providing them with entertainment.

I have no sympathy for someone who goes to another country and ignores the law there no matter how silly those laws may be to us. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Forum List

Back