Jailing of Brittney Griner won't shake allure of high pay in autocratic states, sports observers say

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Money always talks but the use of the word "autocratic" doesn't have the same accuracy as it once did. Canada has been failing in regards to human rights and transparency for decades which is why we lose doctors, nurses, high value Phds in math, physic etc, primarily to the U.S but also now to China, Germany and Japan.

For all those who leave Canada, including maybe the smartest guy I ever met in my high school who is doing quite well in the U.S today, should we just openly state that America is more free and appealing to Canadians than Canadas unaccountable police state? We need more mirrors in Canada, but I digress.

In the case of this woman, let's be blunt, she is nothing but a pawn for the exchange that Russia knows it can extract from the U.S. Now, I believe nations should do their best to defend their citizens and bring them home, but, there is a major difference between her and so many other unfortunate citizens who are sitting in foreign prisons for even less. She isn't going to do nine years even if America didn't make a deal. They wanted it to be a strong sentence to squeeze the U.S.

Basketball star Brittney Griner's politically charged entanglement in Russia may give other athletes pause when pursuing contracts in authoritarian states, though sports observers say economic need is what drives them to seek opportunities abroad in the first place.

And unless that changes, players being offered a better opportunity somewhere else may be tempted to pursue it, despite the risks.

Griner, a 31-year-old WNBA star, had been heading to Russia to play basketball each winter — reportedly banking a $1-million US paycheque, more than quadruple what she made back home.

Matt Slan, the founder and CEO of Slan Sports Management, a Toronto-based company representing basketball players, told CBC News that Griner's story seems likely to serve as "a harsh warning signal" to other athletes, but not necessarily a total deterrent to playing in similar authoritarian jurisdictions.

In Russia this week, Griner was sentenced to spend nine years in prison on drug possession charges. The highest levels of the U.S. government say they are actively fighting for her release.

As wealthy states from Russia to China and Saudi Arabia look to expand their footprints in professional sports, the lure of high salaries is likely to continue drawing some athletes from democracies, business observers said, despite Griner's imprisonment.

She is in Russia, it is against the law in Russia to have hash oil, she knowingly broke the law. She dissed the US and was into social justice. Now, she is in a place where there is no social justice.

I feel bad for her, but she knew better and thought she was special.

She is in Russia, it is against the law in Russia to have hash oil, she knowingly broke the law. She dissed the US and was into social justice. Now, she is in a place where there is no social justice.

I feel bad for her, but she knew better and thought she was special.

Who is to blame for what she thinks of herself though?

It reminds me of that Jussie Smollett fool who decided "I'm a celebrity, black and gay, and, I'm going after Trump who is public enemy #1, so I'm protected from any consequences for my hate crime efforts".

Those around them tell them "you are special, you are abused in your nation of birth" etc. Even if it isn't true, the pimps continue their false narrative. As someone (among many) who has been legitimately abused and denied their civil liberties, such people insult me. However, I don't blame her as much as those who indoctrinate her and others.

I agree, they are pampered and told how great they are and they somehow believe that their opinions and ideas are better than others because they are gifted with athletic ability. The bottom line is outside their isolated world, no one really cares what they think or believe, they are like everyone else and that is tough for them to think.

She is just another person who broke a law in Russia and she believe the country that she has criticized for years needs to now help her.

Money always talks but the use of the word "autocratic" doesn't have the same accuracy as it once did. Canada has been failing in regards to human rights and transparency for decades which is why we lose doctors, nurses, high value Phds in math, physic etc, primarily to the U.S but also now to China, Germany and Japan.

For all those who leave Canada, including maybe the smartest guy I ever met in my high school who is doing quite well in the U.S today, should we just openly state that America is more free and appealing to Canadians than Canadas unaccountable police state? We need more mirrors in Canada, but I digress.

In the case of this woman, let's be blunt, she is nothing but a pawn for the exchange that Russia knows it can extract from the U.S. Now, I believe nations should do their best to defend their citizens and bring them home, but, there is a major difference between her and so many other unfortunate citizens who are sitting in foreign prisons for even less. She isn't going to do nine years even if America didn't make a deal. They wanted it to be a strong sentence to squeeze the U.S.

Basketball star Brittney Griner's politically charged entanglement in Russia may give other athletes pause when pursuing contracts in authoritarian states, though sports observers say economic need is what drives them to seek opportunities abroad in the first place.

And unless that changes, players being offered a better opportunity somewhere else may be tempted to pursue it, despite the risks.

Griner, a 31-year-old WNBA star, had been heading to Russia to play basketball each winter — reportedly banking a $1-million US paycheque, more than quadruple what she made back home.

Matt Slan, the founder and CEO of Slan Sports Management, a Toronto-based company representing basketball players, told CBC News that Griner's story seems likely to serve as "a harsh warning signal" to other athletes, but not necessarily a total deterrent to playing in similar authoritarian jurisdictions.

In Russia this week, Griner was sentenced to spend nine years in prison on drug possession charges. The highest levels of the U.S. government say they are actively fighting for her release.

As wealthy states from Russia to China and Saudi Arabia look to expand their footprints in professional sports, the lure of high salaries is likely to continue drawing some athletes from democracies, business observers said, despite Griner's imprisonment.
I saw an interview with a wnba player who said the Russians pay way more and that's the draw to play there.

Forum List

Back