DeSantis is a GOAT. Ends permanent allimoney

i can see doing this for new divorces but what about the older ladies who are totally dependent on this? I see both sides...men having to work well pass retirement age while paying but there needs to be some sort of transition for the older ladies who depend on alimony...

personally i never understand anyone wanting to be dependent on anothers income...even in marriage...i like most on here started work young ...i was 14 and i have worked all my life...till 2014

No clue in Florida, but if this were to come here, I am guessing it could only really be applied to divorces going forward. Courts generally won't reopen old cases 30 days after the final order was entered and alimony is generally set in the divorce order. It is one of the reasons the courts incorporate child support by reference in the divorce decree but keep it out as a separate issue that can be relitigated if there is a change in circumstances.

i can see doing this for new divorces but what about the older ladies who are totally dependent on this? I see both sides...men having to work well pass retirement age while paying but there needs to be some sort of transition for the older ladies who depend on alimony...

personally i never understand anyone wanting to be dependent on anothers income...even in marriage...i like most on here started work young ...i was 14 and i have worked all my life...till 2014

Women fought for equal rights. Once the marriage is gone, she has a right to go to work and earn her own living. And he should have the right to keep his own money.

Agree. There should be consideration to age. Someone who divorces in her 60s, and unable to get a job, is very different that someone in her 40s.
What does age have to do with anything? Ok, so she never did anything with her life. Who's fault is that? If a man doesn't do anything with his life, it's OK for him to be a homeless bum.
No one said ever: "She left him because he was a bum, so she should financially take care of him the rest of his life."

let me find the stats....while men gain after a divorce women will fall into poverty...

the link also proves what you said about women filing twice as much as men....that is surprising to me..i wonder why...
Women who are cheated on file first.
Women who are abused file first.

BLAME THE WOMEN!!!!

What does age have to do with anything? Ok, so she never did anything with her life. Who's fault is that? If a man doesn't do anything with his life, it's OK for him to be a homeless bum.
No one said ever: "She left him because he was a bum, so she should financially take care of him the rest of his life."
"so she never did anything in her life"........I bet you believe that about all homemakers.

DeSantis is a GOAT. Ends permanent allimoney​

He deserves a pat on the back for signing the bill. The real heroes are those who sponsored the legislation and shepherded it through to passage.

A pat on the back? He's the first governor to sign this into law. It's been vetoed by prior FL governors. DeSantis is the definition of winning.

I agree with DeSantis. Men should not receive permanent alimony. Its not fair to women.

So, who raises the children? Who maintains the house?

Is that a trick question? When I was married to my first wife, we both did. When she wasn't working, I helped cook, clean, tend to the kids, fix everything that broke, read the bedtime stories, or sing their "night night songs."
Only to be left when she found other men.

Consequently, she went on to marry 2 more guys and cheated both of them too. And because of the bias court system, I would've had to spend way more money than I had to fight for custody. She didn't have to spend much at all.

Women fought for equal rights. Once the marriage is gone, she has a right to go to work and earn her own living. And he should have the right to keep his own money.
Not if there are young children involved, and the wife stayed home with the kids. In that case, she should get alimony until the kids are old enough to tend to themselves after school - say, teenage. Then she has to go back to work.

Not if there are young children involved, and the wife stayed home with the kids. In that case, she should get alimony until the kids are old enough to tend to themselves after school - say, teenage. Then she has to go back to work.

Bull snot. There's a LOT of working moms. She shouldn't get a pass on her responsibilities just because she had children and a divorce. These alimony moochers are no better than welfare moochers.

Forum List

Back