Deported US Military Veterans Commemorate Memorial Day In Mexico

You know, my personal opinion is that if you serve a full four year term in the service of this country, be it Air Force, Marines, Army, Navy or Coast Guard, if you serve a 4 year term and are honorably discharged, you should get full citizenship for both yourself and your immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother, wife, child).

Why? Because less than ONE PERCENT of this country is interested in serving, and if a person is willing to defend this country, they should be allowed to live here and be a citizen.

Interestingly enough, I heard on the news the other night (don't know if it's true, sounds a bit off), but they said that only 30 percent of the people who are old enough to serve in the military are even qualified. They said that 70 percent of this country is unqualified due to physical or mental reasons, or they are disqualified because of criminal convictions or they can't score high enough on the ASVAB.

If you are qualified to serve, and are willing to do so for a full term, you should be allowed citizenship after honorably serving your first term.

And I say this as a 20 year U.S. Navy retired veteran.

I agree as long as they are not illegal aliens who sneaked into the US.

You know, if they are kids who are DREAM program eligible, and they serve a full term, that shows they love this country and are willing to do anything to defend it. After a 4 year term, served honorably, they should get full citizenship.

Even if their parents did drag them here when they where just children.

We agree!

You know, when I did my final tour at the MEPS in Amarillo, I had a PN2 who was a classifier working for me who was originally a teacher from Mexico. Seems he couldn't get much work as a teacher, so he came up here, joined the Navy, and then started working towards his citizenship. Took him a few years, but he finally did it and I was glad to see him become a citizen.

Until he became a citizen, we used to tease him about Border Patrol coming to get him because he forgot his green card at home.

But, he was a damn good sailor, and a pretty decent Classifier.

You know, my personal opinion is that if you serve a full four year term in the service of this country, be it Air Force, Marines, Army, Navy or Coast Guard, if you serve a 4 year term and are honorably discharged, you should get full citizenship for both yourself and your immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother, wife, child).

Why? Because less than ONE PERCENT of this country is interested in serving, and if a person is willing to defend this country, they should be allowed to live here and be a citizen.

Interestingly enough, I heard on the news the other night (don't know if it's true, sounds a bit off), but they said that only 30 percent of the people who are old enough to serve in the military are even qualified. They said that 70 percent of this country is unqualified due to physical or mental reasons, or they are disqualified because of criminal convictions or they can't score high enough on the ASVAB.

If you are qualified to serve, and are willing to do so for a full term, you should be allowed citizenship after honorably serving your first term.

---------------------------------------------- i don't like your idea Senor BSailor !!

I don't care if you like my idea or not. I firmly believe that if you are willing to put your butt on the line in the service of this country, you should be given all the benefits of citizenship. Why? Because less than 1 percent of this country is even interested in serving. It's much easier to pay lip service to the military by saying you support them than actually enlisting. By the way Pismoe, how many years did YOU serve? I'd be willing to bet you were part of the 70 percent of the country that isn't qualified to serve.

Cut welfare. Continue to offer the same military benefits.

Watch how fast those units fill up.

The military has always offered benefits, but the trouble is, the pay sucks, so people aren't willing to join. Then, there's also the little deal of having to do overseas tours which most people don't like. One of the most asked questions when I was enlisting someone in the Navy is where is there a base close by to their hometown (the MEPS was in the TX Panhandle in Amarillo, not many Navy bases close by), so they could get stationed there.

And, even when the economy started to tank back in 2007, it was still hard to find people to enlist, even when they found out about the steady paycheck and benefits, because most people don't want to go to war.

I agree as long as they are not illegal aliens who sneaked into the US.

You know, if they are kids who are DREAM program eligible, and they serve a full term, that shows they love this country and are willing to do anything to defend it. After a 4 year term, served honorably, they should get full citizenship.

Even if their parents did drag them here when they where just children.

I knew many foreigners during my military career who got their U.S. citizenship while serving. My question is why didn't those guys apply for citizenship why they were serving? There are programs to teach them everything the need to know to pass the citizenship test. If any of them did get a qualifying discharge then it indeed should be looked into and fixed.

---------------------------------------------- i don't like your idea Senor BSailor !!

I don't care if you like my idea or not. I firmly believe that if you are willing to put your butt on the line in the service of this country, you should be given all the benefits of citizenship. Why? Because less than 1 percent of this country is even interested in serving. It's much easier to pay lip service to the military by saying you support them than actually enlisting. By the way Pismoe, how many years did YOU serve? I'd be willing to bet you were part of the 70 percent of the country that isn't qualified to serve.

The military has always offered benefits, but the trouble is, the pay sucks, so people aren't willing to join. Then, there's also the little deal of having to do overseas tours which most people don't like. One of the most asked questions when I was enlisting someone in the Navy is where is there a base close by to their hometown (the MEPS was in the TX Panhandle in Amarillo, not many Navy bases close by), so they could get stationed there.

And, even when the economy started to tank back in 2007, it was still hard to find people to enlist, even when they found out about the steady paycheck and benefits, because most people don't want to go to war.

Beats starving.

pay sucked in ww2 when American young men enlisted to fight enemies in a war overseas far away from anything they had ever known . Nowaday many military enlist for training , pay , citizenship , college but they enlist to get PAID in one way or the other . To me modern military are simply government employees paid to do the bidding of the king who pays them with taxpayer money and rewards . Might as well call them mercenaries and since they work for MONEY there is no telling who they will go after if a future 'hilary' or mrobama lefty tell them to go after uh , maybe American gun owners for example Senor BSailor !!

Last edited:
pay sucked in ww2 when American young men enlisted to fight enemies in a war overseas far away from anything they had ever known . Nowaday many military enlist for training , pay , citizenship , college but they enlist to get PAID in one way or the other . To me modern military are simply government employees paid to do the bidding of the king who pays them with taxpayer money and rewards . Might as well call them mercenaries and since they work for MONEY there is no telling who they will go after if a future 'hilary' or mrobama lefty tell them to go after uh , maybe American gun owners for example !!

You obviously don't know anyone who has ever been in the military.

pay sucked in ww2 when American young men enlisted to fight enemies in a war overseas far away from anything they had ever known . Nowaday many military enlist for training , pay , citizenship , college but they enlist to get PAID in one way or the other . To me modern military are simply government employees paid to do the bidding of the king who pays them with taxpayer money and rewards . Might as well call them mercenaries and since they work for MONEY there is no telling who they will go after if a future 'hilary' or mrobama lefty tell them to go after uh , maybe American gun owners for example !!

------------------------------------------------- your comment is FOOLISH Admiral !! Sure i do and did know former military that became job holders and then husbands and family men . And they went by their first and last names or a nickname rather than some silly military rank Admiral . Uncles and Dad were enlisted military guys after they enlisted to fight the big war for very little pay . One Uncle is still in France , buried there . All my teachers , neighbors etc , etc were in the military for WW2 and some in both theatres and my Dad called back for 'korea' but he had 3 kids so was deferred Admiral .

Last edited:

I agree.

Many people think that if you don't see battle, don't get wounded, aren't killed that you didn't give up anything.

Not so. Our military puts their own lives on hold and give up more than many can understand.

That's time and other things they never get back. Now the Rs want to take even more away, and that's from our citizens.

These people,min most cases,maneuver knew any other home but RWs who stayed home will cheerfully punish those who volunteered to give everything for the country the love.

The right has stopped caring about and supporting their country.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Boy, you're really very out of touch.

I agree.

Many people think that if you don't see battle, don't get wounded, aren't killed that you didn't give up anything.

Not so. Our military puts their own lives on hold and give up more than many can understand.

That's time and other things they never get back. Now the Rs want to take even more away, and that's from our citizens.

These people,min most cases,maneuver knew any other home but RWs who stayed home will cheerfully punish those who volunteered to give everything for the country the love.

The right has stopped caring about and supporting their country.

Many of the RWs here and a few of the Liberals are veterans with the majority being combat veterans so don't say they don't care and support. That is a base canard.

------------------------------------------------- your comment is FOOLISH Admiral !! Sure i do and did know former military that became job holders and then husbands and family men . And they went by their first and last names or a nickname rather than some silly military rank Admiral . Uncles and Dad were enlisted military guys after they enlisted to fight the big war for very little pay . One Uncle is still in France , buried there . All my teachers , neighbors etc , etc were in the military for WW2 and some in both theatres and my Dad called back for 'korea' but he had 3 kids so was deferred Admiral .

You probably didn't call them mercenaries, at least to their faces!

I spend a great deal of time with military personnel, past and present. There is not one that are anything like you described. Your post is disrespectful.

My daughter is currently an officer in the Army, my son, daughter-in-law, and ex-son-in-law all served in the past 10 years.

BTW, I get called Mister ____________ by my students!

I am a father, grandfather, teacher, military volunteer, church officer, American Legion Member, NRA member and many other things to many people.

Big deal . Mercenary or kings man is a rather recent developement in USA military Admiral . You are living in the past or are a clone of mrobamas 'admiral john kirby' or a movie 'admiral' Admiral !!

Last edited:
GettyImages-689866556.jpg

Deported U.S. military veterans commemorating Memorial Day, Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

You may have seen the viral photo: a group of deported veterans “who served in U.S. Army with the promise of becoming citizens” commemorating Memorial Day in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

Yes, our nation deports veterans, and it’s been a stain on both Democratic and Republican administrations alike, with NBC News estimating that some 230 veterans have been kicked out after serving their country.

Some of these vets have been relentless in lobbying U.S. elected leaders for justice, recently drawing the attention of Rep. Joaquín Castro (D-TX) and members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, who this week plan to visit them at the "Bunker,” a support house for deported vets in Mexico:

"Many of us believe that they should be allowed to become citizens," Castro told NBC Latino in a telephone interview Friday.

"Many, if not most, were legal permanent residents, who were eligible to become citizens and perhaps never applied - they stood up for their country and put their lives on the line," he said.

Castro acknowledged that getting laws changed to stop the deportation of veterans who are legal residents would be tougher under a Trump administration. But Castro said he thinks "there is strong bipartisan support among Americans to do right by these veterans."

"We would ask the administration to consider the service these veterans have rendered for the country and the fact they did put their lives on the line," he said.

Reasons for deportation can vary, and highlight our outdated and broken immigration system. “Legal permanent residents can be deported if they commit certain crimes, including ones that occurred many years in their past,” notes NBC News. Other veterans just assumed that enlisting and serving in the military meant an automatic path to citizenship.

Last year, NPR covered the story of one undocumented immigrant who produced a fake birth certificate in order to enlist during the Iraq War. Daniel Torres was deployed to Fallujah and was readying for a tour in Afghanistan when he lost his wallet. “When he tried to get his ID replaced, his story came apart,” said NPR. He was deported:

Naturalization used to be part of basic training, but the laws changed, [Margaret Stock, a former Army lieutenant colonel and an immigration lawyer] says. As a result, lots of green card holders went to Iraq and Afghanistan without becoming citizens.

She says the Obama administration has been aggressive about deporting immigrants who commit crimes, including veterans, though no one knows an exact number. It's rare enough that even Marine Daniel Torres says he'd never heard of it.

"When I got to Tijuana, I thought my case was unique. It wasn't until I found this place that I realized it was a bigger issue," Torres says.

According to NBC News, nearly 11,000 non-citizens currently serve in the U.S. military, with another 12,000 in the Reserves. “From the Revolutionary War to the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, immigrants have made significant contributions to the United States by serving in our military forces,” states the Immigration Policy Center, with more than 53,000 immigrants becoming U.S. citizens through serving in the military as of 2009.

At least 119 immigrants posthumously earned their citizenship after dying in combat, including Lance Cpl. Jose Gutierrez, a formerly undocumented immigrant who was among the first Americans to die in Iraq.

Despite multiple Vietnam War deferments due to dubious medical claims and a history of insulting remarks directed at the family of fallen soldier Humayun Khan, Sen. John McCain, and veterans with PTSD, Donald Trump promoted himself as the pro-military candidate. Here’s his chance to put his money where his mouth is and help some vets who deserve a second chance after serving this country. But then again, they are immigrants.

Deported U.S. military veterans commemorate Memorial Day in Mexico

Disgraceful doesn't begin to describe it.

Big deal . Mercenary or kings man is a rather recent developement in USA military Admiral . You are living in the past or are a clone of mrobamas 'admiral john kirby' or a movie admiral Admiral !!

Totally and completely clueless is what you are. Insulting and disrespectful to our military is just a garnish for your hatred. What's the matter? Get turned down for the military yourself?

best to leave them in 'mexico' where they belong . if they leaned anything maybe they will pass it on to third world mexico Fenton !!

Big deal . Mercenary or kings man is a rather recent developement in USA military Admiral . You are living in the past or are a clone of mrobamas 'admiral john kirby' or a movie admiral Admiral !!

Totally and completely clueless is what you are. Insulting and disrespectful to our military is just a garnish for your hatred. What's the matter? Get turned down for the military yourself?
------------------------------------------------------ you are a silly [possible] male living in your past Admiral !!

admiral rockwell tory , probably the same age and type as senator 'juan mcckain' or as i said earlier mrobamas spokesman 'admiral john kirby' !!

----------------------------------------- and , i am only being being honest with YOU Admiral !!

You probably didn't call them mercenaries, at least to their faces!

I spend a great deal of time with military personnel, past and present. There is not one that are anything like you described. Your post is disrespectful.

My daughter is currently an officer in the Army, my son, daughter-in-law, and ex-son-in-law all served in the past 10 years.

BTW, I get called Mister ____________ by my students!

I am a father, grandfather, teacher, military volunteer, church officer, American Legion Member, NRA member and many other things to many people.
------------------------------ already said it but will say it again , big deal Admiral !!

------------------------------------------------------ you are a silly [possible] male living in your past Admiral !!

Really? I am living in the past? When did you serve in the military? I have been working for the military as a volunteer for almost 10 years. I taught at our base high school.

My neighbor across the street is an MP. My next door neighbors are an MP and CID. My neighbor on the other side recently was medically retired infantryman. My daughter's boyfriend is an Air National Guard firefighter. I already mentioned my daughter is a 2LT and her command is temporarily assigned to our base from their home base in TX. I have met several of her fellow officers and sergeants.

Who do you know?

You could just admit that you were talking out of your ass, apologize and we can move on.

Forum List

Back