Dems, don't let Repubs bamboozle you, America IS a democracy.

Wrong.
We KNOW what a "democracy" is, and it was a failed experiment by the ancient Greeks in Athens, where everyone had to vote on any and all legislation directly.
That is mob rule and leads to lynchings, slavery, burning witches, etc.

When someone now say democracy, they actually mean "democratically elected, representative, republic.
But the most significant aspect is "republic", and everyone should be taught that.
we KNOW what a republic is as well. , and it was a failed experiment by the romans in class warfare and oligarchy. the senate was not elected, but consisted of the heads of the patrician families

our system is is quite unique, and certainly designed to protect status quo.

we KNOW what a republic is as well. , and it was a failed experiment by the romans in class warfare and oligarchy. the senate was not elected, but consisted of the heads of the patrician families

our system is is quite unique, and certainly designed to protect status quo.
For a long time, I thought that they were consumed by this "we're not a democracy" thing just because they were trying to sound smart about the differences between a pure democracy and a republic.

I've changed my mind on that one. It appears that they're trying to downplay the importance of the vote. An authoritarian wants to remove control from the voters and hand it to a strongman and his underlings.

I'm not sure where this started, but it sure is catching on.

For a long time, I thought that they were consumed by this "we're not a democracy" thing just because they were trying to sound smart about the differences between a pure democracy and a republic.

I've changed my mind on that one. It appears that they're trying to downplay the importance of the vote. An authoritarian wants to remove control from the voters and hand it to a strongman and his underlings.

I'm not sure where this started, but it sure is catching on.
i first heard this "democracy/republic " thing out of libertarians in the 1970s. they may have had "mob rule" concerns but this current bunch seem to thrive in a mob rule environment.

so what so we know about the behavior of "mobs.....? "

i first heard this "democracy/republic " thing out of libertarians in the 1970s. they may have had "mob rule" concerns but this current bunch seem to thrive in a mob rule environment.

so what so we know about the behavior of "mobs.....? "
wow, even Mac doesn't know the United States is a representative republic. Now, there you go. Explains it all.

Been there done that freak, see post 291. Oh and I forgot one in that post, "Jury", see Article 3, Section 2. Now once again, take your semantics game and shove it.

No quotes, fail. .

It's not a semantics game, it's a you missed the point game.

No quotes, fail. .

It's not a semantics game, it's a you missed the point game.
So you don't have the ability to go to another post referenced? wow. I figured you lacked talent, but to demonstrate it is so you!

Damn man you really are stupid and ignorant.

Privacy: See the 4th Amendment
Judicial Review: See Article 3 and Marbury v. Madison
Jury and Presumption of Innocence: See the 5th and 6th Amendments
Right to vote: See Articles 1, 2 and the 15th, 23rd, 24th and 26th Amendments

And you can harp about it all fucking day, but the FACT that we only have democracies at the State level won't change.

Do we vote?

Yes.

A country that has the vote where the vote is legit is a democracy.

And is also a republic, they are not mutually exclusive terms.

The ONLY reason hard core repubs (not old school repubs) harp on this is because they haven't won the majority in prez elections in 30 fucking years.

Some can argue we are not a very good democracy, and they have a point, but that is not the point.

I rest my case.

Deal with it.

So you don't have the ability to go to another post referenced? wow. I figured you lacked talent, but to demonstrate it is so you!
I did, and you posted no quotes. Any asshole can say 'article this or that'.

Show me the quotes in the constitution.

You can't.

Fail.

I did, and you posted no quotes. Any asshole can say 'article this or that'.

Show me the quotes in the constitution.

You can't.

Fail.
well it wasn't mine. So you won't see anything from me. And the other dude gave you article and section

/——/ We do. We care about anyone who calls out your communist propaganda, Rumphole.

Do you know why I chose the avatar 'Rumpole'?

Because I knew all the nitwits in the peanut gallery wouldn't be able to resist twisting the name, I did it to find out who the pea brains are.

Now I know.

Thank you for taking the bait.

wow, even Mac doesn't know the United States is a representative republic. Now, there you go. Explains it all.
or maybe we are attempting to translate from conservative to english.

as described vividly in genesis 11, we need a common language to "make america great" ya no.;

or maybe we are attempting to translate from conservative to english.

as described vividly in genesis 11, we need a common language to "make america great" ya no.;
well what is it you don't understand?

Do we vote?

Yes.

A country that has the vote where the vote is legit is a democracy.

And is also a republic, they are not mutually exclusive terms.

The ONLY reason hard core repubs (not old school repubs) harp on this is because they haven't won the majority in prez elections in 30 fucking years.

Some can argue we are not a very good democracy, and they have a point, but that is not the point.

I rest my case.

Deal with it.
Why is this question important?

What are the implications of the label?

What do we lose if the "other side" gets their way? ie what changes if we call our nation a "democracy" or don't?

Why are you all banging foreheads on this?

What do we lose if the "other side" gets their way? ie what changes if we call our nation a "democracy" or don't?

The only reason we wouldn't call ourselves a democracy is if we lost the right to vote and that's kind of important, don't you think?

Because I knew all the nitwits in the peanut gallery wouldn't be able to resist twisting the name, I did it to find out who the pea brains are.

Now I know.

/——/ Rumpole isn’t as accurate as calling you Asshole. I was trying to be polite., but if you insist, RUMPHOLE.

well what is it you don't understand?
why it matters"

our system is designed for consensus of the governed, through elections. it is neither the democracy attributed to athens or the republic of pre augustinian rome.

our challenge is not to name and thereby constrain, but to use what authority we have to solve emerging problems while minimizing unintended consequences.

i have a thread in general disc. about mob rule. want a link?

/——-/ In a democracy, 51% decide the law of the land. There is no protection for minorities. Three states would choose the president, thereby leaving the rest without representation.
51% would vote to reinstate slavery, or deny voting rights for women, or allow children to marry adults. A Republic protects the rights of minorities.
Get it now?

Now I know.

well, i had hoped it had something to do with the old baily as on the pbs show. but i like the trap idea.

/——-/ In a democracy, 51% decide the law of the land. There is no protection for minorities. Three states would choose the president, thereby leaving the rest without representation.
51% would vote to reinstate slavery, or deny voting rights for women, or allow children to marry adults. A Republic protects the rights of minorities.
Get it now?
I guess if that's how you define "democracy". But there are plenty of other definitions that provide protections for the minority and otherwise mitigate mob rule.

This is just another one of those retard arguments with one side simply contradicting the other for no apparent reason: "White is black! -- NO! Black is white!!!"

There is an interesting question here, namely how much of our society should be controlled by majority rule - ie how much democracy do we actually want? And why?

But let's get back to the normally scheduled shouting match over definitions. It's much easier than real discussion.

Forum List

Back