Democrats Trying to Outlaw Right To Work Laws

Not since 2018

"States and public-sector unions may no longer extract agency fees from nonconsenting employees," Justice Samuel Alito Jr. wrote for the majority in Janus v. AFSCME Council 31, U.S., No. 16-1466.

NLRB Rules Nonunion Members Don't have to Pay Dues

The Janus decision only applies to jobs in the Public Sector.

Not to private workplaces.

Public-sector jobs were never covered by the NLRB and federal labor law to start with.

22 states have them and the Dems want to pass a Federal law to ban them. This would mean, if it passes, every worker in America would be forced to join a union in every shop which has one. Ya. the good ole dems don't like freedom of choice at all. I was in a union for 6 years, but I quit because the union kept giving my dues money to Bill Clinton, who I was vehemently opposed to. I wrote the union President about it and I never even got an answer.,

This is NOT exactly breaking news. LOL It's one reason I became a republican despite Nixon trying to KILL me and Reagan lying. LOL

Low wages are better than no wages for the workers.

If labor unions come into a joint and perform a "bust out" sending the employer into bankruptcy, they will be screwed.
If an employer cannot remain in business without paying Spartan wages, he deserves to go out of business

You gotta love republicans and their “fuck the workers “ attitude.

Who says "fuck the workers"?

I don't even say "fuck the La Cosa Nostra associates who work as union business agents"

I just don't think the employers or the government should be acting as collection agents for Big Labor. Let the LCN associates do their own collections of agency fees and dues.

I just don't think the employers or the government should be acting as collection agents for Big Labor. Let the LCN associates do their own collections of agency fees and dues.
Why not? The IRS serves as collection agency for medicare, social security, overdue child-care, state and local taxes,

Why not? The IRS serves as collection agency for medicare, social security, overdue child-care, state and local taxes,

Who are unions to demand such special treatment?

Should employers be required to act as agents to collect for utility companies, mortgage holders and shylocks that their employers might owe money to as well?

You are asking a lot from employers.

Please elaborate

"Right to work" laws are designed to help corporations break unions. Framed as the "right to work" without being "forced" to join a union, what they do is enable employers to hire anti-union workers until the majority of their workers are non-union, and then decertify the union. From that point on, wages stagnate and benefits are cut.

The corporate owners long heard refrain was that they were off-shoring manufacturing because of the costs of union contracts. Without the legacy costs of the pensioned workers, or the environmental regulations of First World countries, the West basically off-loaded their heavily polluting equipment to Third World countries whose people didn't care about clean air or water, so much as eating and having something to eat.

In my father's day, the company he worked for offered a lifelong pension if he retired with 25 years of service at age 65, with survivor's benefits for his wife. Today, very few non-unionized companies or organizations offer pensions. Union membership in the USA plummeted in the 1980's when Ronald Reagan took on the flight controllers union.

In the rest of the First World, government has picked up the slack. taxing corporations to provide the health care and pensions that companies no longer provide. They provided massive retraining programs for workers displaced by off-shoring and technologies. In the USA, workers are on their own.

This is why your quality of life has deteriorated - because Republicans, since Reagan, have done nothing for working people to protect their jobs, and ensure they got a fair slice of the pie. They refused to tax corporations to provide the benefits that union membership used to ensure for working Americans - health care, pensions, and steady wage increases. Leaving all of these things to the "market economy".

As a result, the USA is the only first world country in the world without a decent minimum wage, or decent level of retirement income for their workers. If the health of a nation is the measure of your nation's success, you've just failed the test - spectacularly.

In general, companies in RTW make products cheaper than companies in non-RTW states, basically because the labor costs are lower and they can then charge a lower price. Which helps the American consumer, right? How can anyone deny that? Wouldn't you rather have more choices, American-made or foreign? Progressive liberals piss and moan about the poor worker, like he's being victimized; but why shouldn't he have the right to decline to pay union dues to the fat cat union executives and donate to the Democratic Party?

"Right to work" laws are designed to help corporations break unions. Framed as the "right to work" without being "forced" to join a union, what they do is enable employers to hire anti-union workers until the majority of their workers are non-union, and then decertify the union. From that point on, wages stagnate and benefits are cut.

The corporate owners long heard refrain was that they were off-shoring manufacturing because of the costs of union contracts. Without the legacy costs of the pensioned workers, or the environmental regulations of First World countries, the West basically off-loaded their heavily polluting equipment to Third World countries whose people didn't care about clean air or water, so much as eating and having something to eat.

In my father's day, the company he worked for offered a lifelong pension if he retired with 25 years of service at age 65, with survivor's benefits for his wife. Today, very few non-unionized companies or organizations offer pensions. Union membership in the USA plummeted in the 1980's when Ronald Reagan took on the flight controllers union.

In the rest of the First World, government has picked up the slack. taxing corporations to provide the health care and pensions that companies no longer provide. They provided massive retraining programs for workers displaced by off-shoring and technologies. In the USA, workers are on their own.

This is why your quality of life has deteriorated - because Republicans, since Reagan, have done nothing for working people to protect their jobs, and ensure they got a fair slice of the pie. They refused to tax corporations to provide the benefits that union membership used to ensure for working Americans - health care, pensions, and steady wage increases. Leaving all of these things to the "market economy".

As a result, the USA is the only first world country in the world without a decent minimum wage, or decent level of retirement income for their workers. If the health of a nation is the measure of your nation's success, you've just failed the test - spectacularly.

Actually, Big Labor membership reached its peak in the early to mid 1950's here in America, and has been on a decline during every administration since, regardless of whether the president was a Republican or a Leftard.

Blaming Reagan is just a liberal talking point.

Reagan had no choice to do what he did, as strikes by federal employees were against the law at the time of PATCO. And, BTW, still are. And none of the leftard Presidents since RR- not Clinton, Obama or Biden- have ever reversed Reagan's action and reinstated the fired workers.

Who are unions to demand such special treatment?

Should employers be required to act as agents to collect for utility companies, mortgage holders and shylocks that their employers might owe money to as well?

Oh cry me a river!! What a bullshit excuse for depriving workers of ANY protections against predatory employers at all?

Only in the USA are workers dependent on "earned income credits" and food stamps - two VERY expensive and high administration programs costing taxpayers billions, which should rightfully be paid by THEIR EMPLOYERS.

Only is the USA is there no universal government funded health care.

Only in the USA are there no mandated vacations, sick time, maternity leave, family leave or other protections for hourly workers, unless negotiated through a union contract.

Only in the USA is the life expectancy of American declining.

Only in the USA is the poverty level calculated on the cost of food.

The USA has the lowest level of unionized workers, and government protections for workers, in the first world. Only in the USA, is the middle class shrinking with more falling back into poverty that are rising into wealth.

Coincidence? I think not.

In general, companies in RTW make products cheaper than companies in non-RTW states, basically because the labor costs are lower and they can then charge a lower price. Which helps the American consumer, right? How can anyone deny that? Wouldn't you rather have more choices, American-made or foreign? Progressive liberals piss and moan about the poor worker, like he's being victimized; but why shouldn't he have the right to decline to pay union dues to the fat cat union executives and donate to the Democratic Party?

Because those same workers need government assistance to live, because those "right to work" wages aren't enough to cover basic living expenses. In 2012, every American taxpayer contributed $2500 to cover the social benefits bill for Walmart workers - whether they ever set foot in Walmart at all. Walmart booked the second highest profits in America that year.

If Walmart had paid their workers $100 per week more, that social benefits bill paid by the American people would have been $0 dollars per taxpayer and Walmart would still have been one of the most profitable companies in America, just not the second most profitable company. Furthermore, those Walmart workers would have been PAYING federal income taxes, not taking from them.

Added to which, at a 35% tax rate, the raise would only cost Walmart $65 per week out of their profits, because the whole raise is tax deductible, and they would have paid 35% of that amount to the government in taxes. Much cheaper and more efficient than paying government workers to collect the taxes, decides who qualifies for the credits, and then sending them the money. When it goes directly from the employer to the worker, without the government middle man, everybody saves money.

How about we just change federal law so that nonunion workers no longer are covered by labor contracts. Then rtw will no longer be needed.

Let me remind you. Everything you fear is already legally required of employers.

Wage garnishment

your employer withhold a specific portion of your paycheck and send it directly to the creditor or person to whom you owe money, until your debt is resolved. ...

22 states have them and the Dems want to pass a Federal law to ban them. This would mean, if it passes, every worker in America would be forced to join a union in every shop which has one. Ya. the good ole dems don't like freedom of choice at all. I was in a union for 6 years, but I quit because the union kept giving my dues money to Bill Clinton, who I was vehemently opposed to. I wrote the union President about it and I never even got an answer.,

It is pathetic that Unions are not making grounds on their own in this environment. During a freaking LABOR Shortage, they can't grow themselves?

Are you too young to remember the 90s-00s Ypu must be if you have to ask that question. Republicans turned backflips of joy every time a union shop closed up and went offshore. They preached the virtues of the lousy unstable service based economy we ended up with. The very conservative US chamber of commerce even held seminars to guide companies through offshoring jobs. Now that wages have been flat for decades and real benefits are becoming a thing of the past I ask again, was breaking the unions worth it?
Being happy that a union shop moved overseas does not explain at all how they were half of the cause.

You failed to elaborate how trying to break up the political poer of unions caused companies to move over seas.

Forum List

Back