Democrats say parents are not able to decide upon their children's education

Interesting statistic. But they don't say the parents are doing this because schools are bad. It states there is no data collected on this.

I like Newsnation. They seem to try to stay centered.

Parents are pulling their children out of public education in droves

There's a reason
Define 'droves.'

The sham is they should be given vouchers to pay for the private education and do not!
Terrible idea.
Logistically impossible.
I've proven this before, and no one comes back with a reasonable counter.
Our children go to private schools and we're still paying taxes for sub quality education
Well aren't you special.

You agree with what, parents aren't qualified to direct their child's education?

In some cases, no. Some parents aren't qualified at all to direct their children's education. And, making a blanket statement of "parent's aren't qualified to direct their children's education" is also wrong. Some parents ARE qualified, some aren't.

I really don't think that a flat earth society parent is qualified to educate their child, because their bias and beliefs will filter through the teaching (the world is round by the way) and the child will end up with a sub-par education. Same thing for parents who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs and man lived together at one time. Some parents either don't know because they never had the chance to learn the reality of things, or they choose to ignore reality because it doesn't fit in with their beliefs. Yes, those are extreme examples, but they exist. And, there are other biases that some adults have that can filter into a child's education because the parents believe that anything outside of THEIR knowledge base can be dangerous or threatening.

Me? I went to public school in Montana, and was grateful for a pretty decent education, but that was back when schools actually thought you should learn something (graduated in 1982). Schools today? While there are some out there that are still pretty good, I can tell you that there are quite a few that aren't, and I can understand why some parents would want their kids to learn in a different environment. I remember my first learning about a crappy school was when I compared my education with my ex-wife's education when we were first married. I was shocked, because the stuff she was learning in high school was stuff that I'd already learned by 8th grade, and the stuff I was doing in high school was far advanced to what her education was. But, that's because we grew up in different areas of the country.

Yeah, there is a problem with education today, and I don't really know what the solution would be, but giving parents who never graduated HS access to a 6,000/year scholarship to direct their children's education doesn't sound like a solution to the problem.

Saw a clip on that.

She said that parents without high school diplomas shouldn't have a say in their kids education.

:omg:

Why wouldn't be they allowed to have a say?

Try to keep them from making the same mistakes?

Maybe she really meant black parents shouldn't have a say in their kids education. Because a lot of them don't care about raising their kids to be better people.

My grandma raised me and school for me was very important to her because she never made it to highschool. Her dad died when she was a baby and when her mom died when she was like 12 she went to live with her neighbors and had to start working. Course she is 95 and things were a lot different then. But me being smart was very important to her.

Maybe she really meant black parents shouldn't have a say in their kids education. Because a lot of them don't care about raising their kids to be better people.

My grandma raised me and school for me was very important to her because she never made it to highschool. Her dad died when she was a baby and when her mom died when she was like 12 she went to live with her neighbors and had to start working. Course she is 95 and things were a lot different then. But me being smart was very important to her.

I get a lot of what you are saying, but my question is, do you think your grandmother should have had access to a 6,000/year scholarship to direct your education along whatever lines she deemed appropriate, even though she didn't have an education beyond elementary school? Or, do you think that she simply wanted you to get the best education that was available?

Me? I was orphaned at age 8, and my Grandparents raised me for much of my childhood (was in foster care for a few years, but that's another story). I can't speak to what my Grandfather's education was, since he immigrated to this country from Norway, but my Grandmother went all the way through high school and graduated. They were very interested in how I did in school, and encouraged me to take the highest courses I could, but pretty much left my education to the schools and what my interests were, but they wouldn't let me take easy classes just because I wanted to slack off. They did allow me to take art classes (I was pretty good at it even when I was young), but they also told me that to stay in those classes I had to maintain high grades, and would even talk to the teachers on occasion to make sure I was learning as much as I could in all aspects of art, not just the mediums I preferred. While they had my best interests at heart, and they would have searched for the best education that could be found in the area we lived if offered a 6,000 scholarship for my schooling, I'm not really sure that she would have wanted to direct my education, as she and my Grandfather knew that I was learning things they didn't know about because their education was way before mine.

Define 'droves.'

Terrible idea.
Logistically impossible.
I've proven this before, and no one comes back with a reasonable counter.

Well aren't you special.
Wrong, give me each year the equivelent of what public school costs for each student!
Ohio schools spend just over $13,000 per pupil in overall operational expenditures. Urban districts have the highest per pupil expenditures ($15,021), while small town districts spend the least ($12,050 per pupil).

In some cases, no. Some parents aren't qualified at all to direct their children's education. And, making a blanket statement of "parent's aren't qualified to direct their children's education" is also wrong. Some parents ARE qualified, some aren't.

I really don't think that a flat earth society parent is qualified to educate their child, because their bias and beliefs will filter through the teaching (the world is round by the way) and the child will end up with a sub-par education. Same thing for parents who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs and man lived together at one time. Some parents either don't know because they never had the chance to learn the reality of things, or they choose to ignore reality because it doesn't fit in with their beliefs. Yes, those are extreme examples, but they exist. And, there are other biases that some adults have that can filter into a child's education because the parents believe that anything outside of THEIR knowledge base can be dangerous or threatening.

Me? I went to public school in Montana, and was grateful for a pretty decent education, but that was back when schools actually thought you should learn something (graduated in 1982). Schools today? While there are some out there that are still pretty good, I can tell you that there are quite a few that aren't, and I can understand why some parents would want their kids to learn in a different environment. I remember my first learning about a crappy school was when I compared my education with my ex-wife's education when we were first married. I was shocked, because the stuff she was learning in high school was stuff that I'd already learned by 8th grade, and the stuff I was doing in high school was far advanced to what her education was. But, that's because we grew up in different areas of the country.

Yeah, there is a problem with education today, and I don't really know what the solution would be, but giving parents who never graduated HS access to a 6,000/year scholarship to direct their children's education doesn't sound like a solution to the problem.
Same thing for parents who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs and man lived together at one time. Some parents either don't know because they never had the chance to learn the reality of things, or they choose to ignore reality because it doesn't fit in with their beliefs.
So people who don't subscribe to a liberal viewpoint on Earths age, are disqualified?

I am a parent and what if I want my child to go to sex education classes, read books and have the freedom to make their own choices that make them happy in their lives?

Same thing for parents who believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs and man lived together at one time. Some parents either don't know because they never had the chance to learn the reality of things, or they choose to ignore reality because it doesn't fit in with their beliefs.
So people who don't subscribe to a liberal viewpoint on Earths age, are disqualified?

Earth's age really isn't a "liberal" or "conservative" viewpoint. It's a scientific fact. What you choose to believe about it is your viewpoint. Your viewpoint can either align with reality and acknowledge what the scientists have said, or you can choose to believe what you want, regardless of what the documented facts say.

Earth's age really isn't a "liberal" or "conservative" viewpoint. It's a scientific fact. What you choose to believe about it is your viewpoint. Your viewpoint can either align with reality and acknowledge what the scientists have said, or you can choose to believe what you want, regardless of what the documented facts say.
Proven how? Scientists will say what you pay them to

Did anyone actually bother to read the article? GA approved a 6,000 dollar per year scholarship for kids, and the parents will have access to the money for approved expenses related to the child's education.

What's to stop a parent from seeing free money, and deciding to home school their child so that they can receive the money even in spite of only having a limited education?

Does anyone here really think that a parent who never completed school should have access to 6,000/year for their child's education, especially if they decide to home school them?
Yes they can't do any worse than the school system is doing. Kids graduate that cannot read.

Proven how? Scientists will say what you pay them to

Trolls gonna troll I guess. There are many people who studied many years over several different disciplines (geology, astronomy, basic science, etc.) who figured out what their respective fields said, compared them to whatever other scientists said, and all came up with a consensus (look up the word if you don't understand it) about the age of the Earth, and it's much older than 6,000 years.

But...............like I said..............trolls gotta troll.

Yes they can't do any worse than the school system is doing. Kids graduate that cannot read.

Hey.............if the parents want to decide what is best for the education of their children, have at it, as that is one of the things that parents are supposed to do

I don't think that giving them access to 6,000 to spend how they wish on their kids education is such a good idea though, as there are potentials for LOTS of abuse, and I also don't think that a person should be in charge of a child's education if they never completed HS at least. Not only will their knowledge of what is taught in schools be lacking, but it also may end up being highly inaccurate, and that potentially could cause more harm than good.

To illustrate...............I'm gonna pull an extreme example that probably would never happen, but could (like others on this board are fond of doing).....................

Suppose a kid (who is being homeschooled) tells their parent that they want to learn about chemistry. The parent, because they love their kid decides to teach them about chemistry, even in spite of never having graduated school or even taken a chemistry class. Because they remember someone doing a cool experiment once of dropping sodium into a beaker of water, they decide to show their child. Bad things will happen quickly from such an experiment.

Hey.............if the parents want to decide what is best for the education of their children, have at it, as that is one of the things that parents are supposed to do

I don't think that giving them access to 6,000 to spend how they wish on their kids education is such a good idea though, as there are potentials for LOTS of abuse, and I also don't think that a person should be in charge of a child's education if they never completed HS at least. Not only will their knowledge of what is taught in schools be lacking, but it also may end up being highly inaccurate, and that potentially could cause more harm than good.

To illustrate...............I'm gonna pull an extreme example that probably would never happen, but could (like others on this board are fond of doing).....................

Suppose a kid (who is being homeschooled) tells their parent that they want to learn about chemistry. The parent, because they love their kid decides to teach them about chemistry, even in spite of never having graduated school or even taken a chemistry class. Because they remember someone doing a cool experiment once of dropping sodium into a beaker of water, they decide to show their child. Bad things will happen quickly from such an experiment.
A person my age if they dropped out in the 10th grade. They still know more than the average high school graduate today. But we weren't sexualized by our teachers when we were 8.

Forum List

Back