Democrats pushing yet another new tax on poor and working people

marvin martian

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2020
Texas Hill Country
Mayor Pete got beat down on the mileage tax on poor people (the people who drive the farthest for work), so now they want a drink tax on poor people (the largest consumers of sugared drinks). Whatever it takes, right?

Lawmakers in the nation's capital are proposing enacting a new tax on sugary drinks, hoping that forcing consumers to pay more for products they want will deter them from consuming sugary beverages.

What are the details?
Democrat Brianne Nadeau, a member of the Washington, D.C., city council, introduced a measure Tuesday that would enact an excise tax of 1.5 cents per ounce on beverages the city government considers "sugary drinks."

The legislation would repeal an existing 8% sales tax on sugary drinks, which is 2% higher than the existing sales tax in Washington.

Enacting the sugary drink tax would "begin rectifying longstanding health inequities made even more apparent by the COVID-19 pandemic."

"One thing that COVID-19 has made abundantly clear is that we need to get serious about addressing health inequities in the District," Nadeau said in a press release.

Mary Cheh, a council member who sponsored the bill, told WTOP-TV, "This excise tax would go right on the product. Thereby making it apparent to the purchaser that it is more expensive than it was."

Mayor Pete got beat down on the mileage tax on poor people (the people who drive the farthest for work), so now they want a drink tax on poor people
Quid Pro Biden and the democrat Reich offer a boot to the face of Americans

"You can pry that tax for my "Big Gulp" from my dead hands, after my obesity related death that is....

But on a lighter note, it's DC. Not PetiePete, or Good ol Joe trying to take away your soda......

Didn't NY try this shit too?

Mayor Pete got beat down on the mileage tax on poor people (the people who drive the farthest for work), so now they want a drink tax on poor people

"You can pry that tax for my "Big Gulp" from my dead hands, after my obesity related death that is....

But on a lighter note, it's DC. Not PetiePete, or Good ol Joe trying to take away your soda......

When will you people stop bleeding the poor and working class? Enough already, let them make a living.

When will you people stop bleeding the poor and working class? Enough already, let them make a living.

The folks in DC should vote them out and put pro sugary drink people in office if they want.

I live in Texas. We'll fight to the death for our "Big Gulps"!

The folks in DC should vote them out and put pro sugary drink people in office if they want.

Yes, they should. I don't drink soda and I don't live in DC, so this doesn't affect me one bit. It just makes me sick the way the Democrats prey on poor and working people.

Yes, they should. I don't drink soda and I don't live in DC, so this doesn't affect me one bit. It just makes me sick the way the Democrats prey on poor and working people.

Not all democrats' agree with the sugary drink tax. Shouldn't it be up to the people of DC? Personally I think a voter referendum would let the voting public decide rather than an elected official, but they can still vote the nanny statist out.

Mayor Pete got beat down on the mileage tax on poor people (the people who drive the farthest for work), so now they want a drink tax on poor people (the largest consumers of sugared drinks). Whatever it takes, right?

Lawmakers in the nation's capital are proposing enacting a new tax on sugary drinks, hoping that forcing consumers to pay more for products they want will deter them from consuming sugary beverages.

What are the details?
Democrat Brianne Nadeau, a member of the Washington, D.C., city council, introduced a measure Tuesday that would enact an excise tax of 1.5 cents per ounce on beverages the city government considers "sugary drinks."

The legislation would repeal an existing 8% sales tax on sugary drinks, which is 2% higher than the existing sales tax in Washington.

Enacting the sugary drink tax would "begin rectifying longstanding health inequities made even more apparent by the COVID-19 pandemic."

"One thing that COVID-19 has made abundantly clear is that we need to get serious about addressing health inequities in the District," Nadeau said in a press release.

Mary Cheh, a council member who sponsored the bill, told WTOP-TV, "This excise tax would go right on the product. Thereby making it apparent to the purchaser that it is more expensive than it was."
big brother must always strive to control the ignorant masses that were "educated" in big brothers failed school system

Forum List

Back