Democrats propose "transaction tax" on financial transactions. (Poll)

Do you support the new "transaction tax", and if so, what would you do with the revenue?

• No, I'll explain why in my post

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Yes, to pay for free community college & job training

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Yes, to pay for 1/2 of 4-year college and advanced degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, to pay into the general revenue fund to pay for SS & Medicare

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes, see my post for where I'd put the $80b/yr revenue

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
we once again have Trumpsters pretending to be fiscally responsible and attacking others.
What trumpsters wanted was an end to the lockouts

but if you did that democrats would not have an excuse to continue your massive borrow and spend pork barrel policies

8 trillion in spending that wasn't paid for under Trump.
Why didn't Nancy do something......

It's not her thing. She has no desire to address the debt. Why do you think she does?
Cause that's her job......

Her job is to raise campaign donations. That's the only reason she has her position.

But again, how do you expect Nancy and the Dems to do what Trump and the Republicans refused to do? They don't run on the debt.
House sets the budget ..end of story but it's easier to play stupid word games.

Republicans had the House and Senate under Trump. They added debt. It still has to pass the Senate and the President still has to sign off on it. Trump signed off on $8 trillion in debt in 4 years.
Who have you voted for?

Last time Jorgenson. Before that Stein. Before that Vermin Supreme. Before that Bob Barr.

we once again have Trumpsters pretending to be fiscally responsible and attacking others.

but if you did that democrats would not have an excuse to continue your massive borrow and spend pork barrel policies

It's not her thing. She has no desire to address the debt. Why do you think she does?

Her job is to raise campaign donations. That's the only reason she has her position.

But again, how do you expect Nancy and the Dems to do what Trump and the Republicans refused to do? They don't run on the debt.
Sorry,,.,,,the GOP and Trump attempted numerous times to cut spending...blocked by the dems, and called every name under the book by their propagandist for doing so..."grandma killers," claiming htey wanted people to die of hunger etc.

The largest driver of debt, is the entitlement programs, such as medicare and medicaid...and the left blocks any attempt by the GOP to address it.

Republicans had the House and Senate under Trum
Now democrats are in complete control

so you try to shift attention away from them and back on trump

I don't support then adding to the debt. I did NOT vote for those who will do that. You did.
Did you vote for Obama?

Nope. It was clear from the beginning he was untrustworthy. I had hoped I was wrong and could vote to re-elect him but I was not. I supported 90% of what candidate Obama claimed to support but 10% of what President Obama actually did.

Sorry,,.,,,the GOP and Trump attempted numerous times to cut spending...blocked by the dems, and called every name under the book by their propagandist for doing so..."grandma killers," claiming htey wanted people to die of hunger etc.

The largest driver of debt, is the entitlement programs, such as medicare and medicaid...and the left blocks any attempt by the GOP to address it.

Please, stop. No one could have blocked his first two years and he could have vetoed anything. He supported things like billions in bail outs that led to the debt.

But thanks for proving my beliefs for me.

Does anyone else get tired of the divide and conquer ploy? Rich vs poor, black v white and on and on. They use this ploy because it works, and yet when it comes to the rich v poor, it is always the poor and this tax will be no different.

Republicans had the House and Senate under Trump. They added debt. It still has to pass the Senate and the President still has to sign off on it. Trump signed off on $8 trillion in debt in 4 years.
Who have you voted for?

Last time Jorgenson. Before that Stein. Before that Vermin Supreme. Before that Bob Barr.
You think Commie Stein wouldn't have spent more than the govt takes in? Did Barr ever vote for any budget bills?

You have no credibility on this, so you can STFU now.

don't support then adding to the debt. I did NOT vote for those who will do that. You did.
If you voted for some 3Rd party loser because he wants to legalize dangerous drugs or balance the budget without telling you how thats your problem

i think trump will borrow and spend less than biden which makes the choice very easy for me

Thats so true

I never thought that I'd ever be on the same side as Ilhan Omar, but here we are.
I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades, fine.
They are nothing but leeches stealing our 401k investments.

"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.
Under current law, someone selling or buying $1,000 of stock pays just over two cents in transaction taxes. This existing fee raises over $1.5 billion per year. The proposal would add a tax of $1 to that transaction."
What is your goal for the transaction tax?

if it does not pay down the debt then its worse than pointless
I'm not a democrat, so I'm probably misstating their goals:
1. Raise revenue from the mostly 1%, i.e. the ones who own 90% of everything
2. Benefit average investors by stopping high-frequency traders from stealing their 401K investments
3. By reducing HFTs, that is a net gain for average investors
4. The $80b/yr or so of new revenue can be put to use helping pay for stuff. See poll in OP
5. I'd also raise the tax rate on "short-sellers" using the same logic.

Who have you voted for?

You are against spending and you voted for Stein? Lol, I think you just lost any credibility.

Don't just look at the tax, look at your 401K bump w/o high-frequency traders. Its a benefit, not a tax.

If I'm a buy and hold in my 401k, how does eliminating HFT give my 401k a bump?
Because the HFTs won't "front-run" any trades stealing value from buy-and-hold investors.
HFTs don't "invest" they "steal" investments.

Because the HFTs won't "front-run" any trades stealing value from buy-and-hold investors.

You just can't explain how they steal value

Funnier every time you say it.
OMG, here are a few links that you are apparently too lazy or stupid to research before posting nonsense.

What's funny is that you can't prove your "point" with links, so you are just a whiner.

Thanks for the links.
The 1st and 3rd don't mention high-frequency trading.

The 2nd one.......View attachment 482344
Don't need to be an HFT to read an announcement and buy a stock.
Even you could do that.

So still no luck explaining how my TSLA order gets front-run? LOL!
1. Your TSLA order doesn't get front-run, the stock does, you lose money, that's how HFTs make money, by stealing, duh.
2. Tell us what benefit HFTs are to the average 401K investor. <hint: you can't> Thanks for playing.

Your TSLA order doesn't get front-run, the stock does, you lose money,

Cool story!! You just can't explain how.

TSLA is trading at $711.15-Bid $711.19-Offer.
I try to buy 100 shares at $711.19.....how does an HFT swoop in and make me lose money? Any idea?
I explained how, you just don't understand it.
How do HFTs make money? Hint: by stealing from investors, duh.

Trump vows not to cut Social Security and Medicare — his 2021 budget says otherwise - Vox

I never thought that I'd ever be on the same side as Ilhan Omar, but here we are.
I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades, fine.
They are nothing but leeches stealing our 401k investments.

"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.
Under current law, someone selling or buying $1,000 of stock pays just over two cents in transaction taxes. This existing fee raises over $1.5 billion per year. The proposal would add a tax of $1 to that transaction."
What is your goal for the transaction tax?

if it does not pay down the debt then its worse than pointless
I'm not a democrat, so I'm probably misstating their goals:
1. Raise revenue from the mostly 1%, i.e. the ones who own 90% of everything
2. Benefit average investors by stopping high-frequency traders from stealing their 401K investments
3. By reducing HFTs, that is a net gain for average investors
4. The $80b/yr or so of new revenue can be put to use helping pay for stuff. See poll in OP
5. I'd also raise the tax rate on "short-sellers" using the same logic.
Why not just impose a 24 hour timeout on trades?

investors cannot sell stock they just purchased for at least 24 hours

Please, stop. No one could have blocked his first two years and he could have vetoed anything. He supported things like billions in bail outs that led to the debt.

Of course they could....and did...it's called a Filibuster. For example...the Farm Bill....the GOP simply added work requirements for SNAP....the Dems blocked it, and literally threatened to shut down the entire Ag Department over it. The GOP was faced with shutting down the Dept of Ag, or caving to the extortion by the Dems.

Trump vows not to cut Social Security and Medicare — his 2021 budget says otherwise - Vox
So he did in his budget....and Vox...a leftist propagandist on que...starts to attack him..thanks for the example

Don't just look at the tax, look at your 401K bump w/o high-frequency traders. Its a benefit, not a tax.

If I'm a buy and hold in my 401k, how does eliminating HFT give my 401k a bump?

You just can't explain how they steal value

Funnier every time you say it.
OMG, here are a few links that you are apparently too lazy or stupid to research before posting nonsense.

What's funny is that you can't prove your "point" with links, so you are just a whiner.

Thanks for the links.
The 1st and 3rd don't mention high-frequency trading.

The 2nd one.......View attachment 482344
Don't need to be an HFT to read an announcement and buy a stock.
Even you could do that.

So still no luck explaining how my TSLA order gets front-run? LOL!
1. Your TSLA order doesn't get front-run, the stock does, you lose money, that's how HFTs make money, by stealing, duh.
2. Tell us what benefit HFTs are to the average 401K investor. <hint: you can't> Thanks for playing.

Your TSLA order doesn't get front-run, the stock does, you lose money,

Cool story!! You just can't explain how.

I try to buy 100 shares at $711.19.....how does an HFT swoop in and make me lose money? Any idea?
I explained how, you just don't understand it.
How do HFTs make money? Hint: by stealing from investors, duh.

I explained how,

You made a claim, you didn't show how high frequency trading steals from me.

How do HFTs make money?

They buy and sell shares.

Hint: by stealing from investors, duh.

Prove it, duh.

I try to buy 100 shares at $711.19.....how does an HFT swoop in and steal from me?

Of course they could....and did...it's called a Filibuster. For example...the Farm Bill....the GOP simply added work requirements for SNAP....the Dems blocked it, and literally threatened to shut down the entire Ag Department over it. The GOP was faced with shutting down the Dept of Ag, or caving to the extortion by the Dems.
What would be the downside of shutting down the Department of Agriculture?

OMG
These fuckin loons will tax orgasms if they could.
Goddamn authoritarians!

You prefer just giving money away and adding to the debt?

Trump's Road to Socialism | Tho Bishop
No

So what we have here is a proposal to start paying for things and you are still against that?
Start paying for what? Shit the federal govt has no business doing?
You federal supremacists make me fucking sick to my stomach. This countries founders died in vain because of shit stains like you.

One of the options is to state where you would spend it. Why not suggest the debt?

Tell me, how is it the governments business to bail out private businesses?
"Spending it on the debt" means absolutely nothing. All new revenue goes to pay for Dem NAZI pork boondoggles.

New Topics

Forum List

Back