Democrats Must Kill The Filibuster And Make The Senate Great Again

I don’t think killing the filibuster is a great idea.
I don't either, however I fear it's the only way to get anything past the self proclaimed "grim reaper of legislation".
And when the Left loses its majority? I seriously believe that Schumer and Pelosi are positioning the Ds to consolidate power through HR1 to the point where elections simply will never be trusted again. I tend to be a smartass but in this situation, we ALL need to step back and really ponder the effects of one party creating a situation in our electoral system that, right or wrong, is perceived as illegitimate.
If the Left in DC were only looking to spend money and were willing to leave other Americans secure in their rights, I'd have no serious issue with what the corrupt filth in DC were up to.

THESE people are serious about creating FUNDAMENTAL changes in our electoral system AND significantly adding to the infringement of 2A. And ALL of these moves they plan to accomplish with a TIEBREAKER VOTE.
Imagine McConnell or any other corrupt Republican who'd been in DC for decades, doing similar things to your party's ideology. Imagine a tiebreaker vote that essentially outlawed abortion. How about creating REAL barriers at the southern border and or sanctions against businesses that hired illegals such that the businesses would literally be destroyed, shut down? Let your imagination wander... ALL accomplished with a single vote majority.
This nation is so divided that our very survival rests on a knife's edge. More than any other single issue, 2A will lead to violent civil conflict that would end our little experiment in human freedom. THAT is a line the Left crosses at all our peril and they seem eager to go there.
Just as you and your fellow liberals would NEVER consent to be ruled over indefinitely by the other party, the 75 million or so that did NOT vote for an obviously weak and mentally challenged old man simply will NOT be threatened or pushed or canceled without eventually setting this nation alight. You tell me... what American benefits from that?

Everything needs to stay as-is for the time being, I think. Biden is not having any trouble getting his agenda through right now. If it becomes abused, then we will see what happens.

Democrats filibustered a lot during Trump's 4 years....they're not innocent.

The filibuster has become a weapon of obstruction. If Elections are supposed to have actual consequences it needs to go. Congress is feckless as it is.

I seriously believe that Schumer and Pelosi are positioning the Ds to consolidate power through HR1 to the point where elections simply will never be trusted again.
It's not nthe Democrats who a pushing for elections not to be trusted.

As Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist 22, the idea that a supermajority encouraged cooperation had proven deceptive: “What at first sight may seem a remedy, is, in reality, a poison.” Rather than encourage cooperation, he prophesied, the effect of requiring “more than a majority” would be “to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of the government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice or artifices” of a minority to the “regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority.”

Fixing the Supreme Court is the only thing as important.
Federalist 22 has nothing to do with the filibuster....it is talking about the failures of the Articles of Confederation....and trying to encourage people to drop it, and adopt the US Constitution. His argument is how weak the Confederation was set up...because no states came to vote...

With that said...I am not sure why the left thinks they need to ram things through the Senate and cut off debate...if their bills are so great...open them up to debate, open them up so that the people can hear and see what's being debated and discussed...and defend the legislation. Frankly, this might force Congress to instead of making massive piece of legislation....like Obamacare and the "Covid Relief" bill...that had little to do with either healthcare or Covid....to create smaller bills...like we used to have.

I don't either. But McConnell has already laid down the gauntlet and he isn't going to budge...unless Democrats grow a spine and rip that minority veto power from him.
We'll see if they have the backbone to do so. It may be the only way to get things done. Republicans have no idea what they stand for. They have no leadership. No one
who espouses any vision as far as policy. They supported questioning the results of the election and a large number of them supported an insurrection two weeks ago.
All they have is sallow faced turtle in the Senate who is desperately clinging to the last sliver of power he has, hoping he can stall long enough to flip things back to
his side in two years.
You underestimate the Republicans simply because unlike Schumer and Pelosi, they're not attention whores. They're servants to their constituents, and true to their oaths of office that find them obedient to the United States Constitution and concerned about the well-being of the people in their States as well as fairness to all citizens who support this republic. Now, if they'd institute some comfort to the National Guard rather than putting them to outdoor weather on concrete floors in the harsh January weather, I'd sleep better. Maybe it's the job of another government branch, but they could send a pillow, mat and blanket to the Guards from their own states. Imho.

Republicans haven't been servants to their constituents since the day Barack Obama was elected and McConnell vowed to make him "a one term President". And sitting at the top of that pile is McConnell who is just interested in power. Not actual legislation. As has been pointed out, the filibuster was never meant for bills to be filed in the majority leaders desk, never to be discussed. The only way to move things forward again may be to call McConnell's bluff.
And what did the fuckin DEMS to to Trump? Or BUSH ,for that matter?

I seriously believe that Schumer and Pelosi are positioning the Ds to consolidate power through HR1 to the point where elections simply will never be trusted again.
Dems don't really VOTE. They just COUNT and count and count and.........
Says one of the "stop the steal" morons who would have us still counting if she could.

Dems don't really VOTE. They just COUNT and count and count and.........
Says one of the "stop the steal" morons who would have us still counting if she could.
Hmmmmmm..... Seems PELOSI is trying to unseat a legitimate election in Iowa. Double Standard ,Red?

As Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist 22, the idea that a supermajority encouraged cooperation had proven deceptive: “What at first sight may seem a remedy, is, in reality, a poison.” Rather than encourage cooperation, he prophesied, the effect of requiring “more than a majority” would be “to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of the government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice or artifices” of a minority to the “regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority.”

The left has used the filibuster numerous times in the past, to their advantage. So, I fail to see a problem with it.

Maybe CHANGING the filibuster is something BOTH sides can agree on. For a long time now, it has become a tool for simple partisan obstruction of ...anything and everything. Because it requires no effort, exacts no pain, and has no political cost.

Make it HARD and make it COST.

They should stand up and talk. And talk. And stay there all night.

And the minority party should be responsible for coming up with the 41 votes.

Make it worth Sen. Manchin's while with infrastructure. help for his state.

The left has used the filibuster numerous times in the past, to their advantage. So, I fail to see a problem with it.
Time for it to go.

I disagree and far to long the American Society has suffered from the abuse of the opposition party using the Filibuster to prevent bills from passing, so rid the nation of it and let the party with the majority of votes run the country for once!

The filibuster makes it possible for politicians to lie their asses off to the American people. To pretend to be proponents of any nonsense that will get them elected - because they know that the opposing side will filibuster.

We need to get rid of the filibuster. Whoever control the Senate will have to enact what they promise - then let the American people pass judgement the next election cycle.

The filibuster guarantees that we have a do nothing government!

As I recall, Alexander Hamilton was against the Bill of Rights...our freedoms afforded by the government. He also advocated forcibly taking Spanish and French territories in North America.

Forum List

Back