Democrats Change 181 Year-Old Rule To Allow Ilhan Omar To Wear Hijab In The House

I am shocked and disturbed in equal measure. I sense the pain here and my heart goes out to the many people affected by this. Is there a fund that I can donate to ?

I'm sure you've seen the billion or so threads about how much they are allegedly enjoying "winning". Could you imagine how despondent these useless fuck stains who support Trump would be if they had to actually admit that he is the failure we all know he is? He just caved on tariffs....you'd think that would be a moment of clarity; right?
You are deluded. You ramble on about tariffs and shit whilst a woman can wear a scar over her head in the workplace. Get your priorities sorted.

Burqa Bans: Which Countries Outlaw Face Coverings?

PARIS — The Canadian province of Quebec is the latest place to make it a crime to wear a face-covering garment in public, a move that critics derided as discriminatory against Muslim women.

Quebec’s law, enacted on Wednesday, is the first of its kind in North America, but similar measures — sometimes referred to as burqa bans — have existed in Europe for years.

*Snip*

The French-speaking province of Quebec has barred people with face coverings from receiving public services or from working in government jobs.

Sigh !
You do know there is a difference between a hijab and a burqa dont you ?

Would it shock you to find out he doesn't? Yeah; me neither.

One dot head looks the same to me .

And the point is liberals hate Christians but go nuts if someone offends dot heads

I am shocked and disturbed in equal measure. I sense the pain here and my heart goes out to the many people affected by this. Is there a fund that I can donate to ?

I'm sure you've seen the billion or so threads about how much they are allegedly enjoying "winning". Could you imagine how despondent these useless fuck stains who support Trump would be if they had to actually admit that he is the failure we all know he is? He just caved on tariffs....you'd think that would be a moment of clarity; right?
You are deluded. You ramble on about tariffs and shit whilst a woman can wear a scar over her head in the workplace. Get your priorities sorted.

PARIS — The Canadian province of Quebec is the latest place to make it a crime to wear a face-covering garment in public, a move that critics derided as discriminatory against Muslim women.

Quebec’s law, enacted on Wednesday, is the first of its kind in North America, but similar measures — sometimes referred to as burqa bans — have existed in Europe for years.

*Snip*

The French-speaking province of Quebec has barred people with face coverings from receiving public services or from working in government jobs.

Sigh !

Same thing to a half German half polack like me born in Chicago..

Once again I thought there was supposed to be separation of church and state in America?
I cant see that this makes Islam the state religion. Are politicians allowed to wear crucifix in congress ?

*Snip*

Sigh !

Once again I thought there was supposed to be separation of church and state in America?
I cant see that this makes Islam the state religion. Are politicians allowed to wear crucifix in congress ?

Once again it's supposed to be separation of church and state..

She is flaunting it and the left is so scared of it they allow it.

*Snip*

Sigh !

What is she flaunting ? She has asked to be allowed to wear a scarf. If the rule isnt changed then she wont. Why is it so important to you that this doesnt happen ?

*Snip*

Sigh !

What is she flaunting ? She has asked to be allowed to wear a scarf. If the rule isnt changed then she wont. Why is it so important to you that this doesnt happen ?

Why is it important for her to wear the scarf?

It's not some kind of religious symbol is it?

It's flauting..
This is "flauting" ya racist clown.

images

This is an expression of religion! I guess it’s OK when it comes to iSLAM. We’re screwed as a nation. Fucking ABNORMALS and worthless, spineless Repukes are taking us down the path of destruction!....Wherr are the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE scumbags when they should be up in arms....but dont let a 66 year old cross stand on public property to memorialize our fallen war heros!

For 181 years, the U.S. House of Representatives has imposed a ban on its members wearing head coverings. With Ilhan Omar, one of the first Muslim women to be elected to Congress, set to take her oath of office in January, that rule—which would have prohibited her wearing her customary headscarves or the hijab—is slated to change.

The change was proposed jointly by Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, Incoming Rules Chairman Jim McGovern and member-elect Ilhan Omar as part of a larger overhaul package.

When Omar is sworn in next year, she will become the first federal legislator to wear a religious headscarf. Her arrival will mark a number of other “firsts” as well. The Minnesota Democrat will be the first Somali-American in Congress and the first woman of color to represent her state in Washington. She’ll be joined by fellow Midwestern Democrat, Michigan’s Rashida Tlaib, as the first two Muslim women in Congress.

Hats of any kind have been banned from the House floor since 1837.

Read more at citizenfreepress.com ...

omarilhan_111518gn2_lead.jpg
Now Jews can wear yarmulke’s. What, do you hate Jews?

No one hates the Jews because the Jews love the nation and put the nation before their religion.

The same can't be said of this selfish woman. The whole representative body needs to change the rules for her.

The Jews put the nation before their religion"? First, I think there are plenty of Jews who would disagree with that. Second, I know that I have seen and heard many Christians say that they put religion before country. I'm not sure if I've seen those of other religions say the same, but I am pretty confident people of all sorts of different religious beliefs would put their religion before the country.

The Jews, at least the European ones, recognize the principles of the nation state and the principles enshrined in the peace of Westphalia which constructs the modern nation state. This separates the state and religion, or at least recognizes that the state is the one that shall be the one that is sovereign. Folks first immigrated here so that they could have freedom of religion. It is not necessary to have that freedom inside the halls of government. If they choose to do so, it is their choice as to how to do it, and which one.

For a nation to survive, they have to agree on certain similarities, otherwise, there WILL be disintegration. You don't have to agree, you just have to go along with tradition. Otherwise? You don't have a nation anymore.

Peace of Westphalia - Wikipedia

The main tenets of the Peace of Westphalia were:

• All parties would recognize the Peace of Augsburg of 1555, in which each prince would have the right to determine the religion of his own state (the principle of cuius regio, eius religio). The options were Catholicism, Lutheranism, and now Calvinism.[11][12]
  • Christians living in principalities where their denomination was not the established church were guaranteed the right to practice their faith in private, as well as in public during allotted hours.[16]
  • General recognition of the exclusive sovereignty of each party over its lands, people, and agents abroad, and responsibility for the warlike acts of any of its citizens or agents. Issuance of unrestricted letters of marque and reprisal to privateers was forbidden.
Islamic concept of sovereignty - Wikipedia

The Islamic concept of sovereignty differs from the western principles of international custom and law established by the Treaty of Westphalia. An important element of this is the Ummah — the community of Muslims as a whole. Devout Muslims consider that there is no division between religion and politics and so government should be based upon the Qur'an, following the word of God in a unified way, as in the first Caliphate.[1]

What next, will she insist that they change the national prayer breakfast to worship Allah? Will she insist that the Office of the Chaplain be an Imam?

400px-House_Chaplain.jpg

The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives

Opening Prayer

11/27/2018
Reverend Patrick J. Conroy, S.J.

Gracious God, we give You thanks for giving us another day.

You have blessed us with all good gifts, and this past week, with thankful hearts, we gathered with family and loved ones throughout this great land to celebrate our blessings together.

Bless the newly elected Members of the 116th Congress who resume their orientation on Capitol Hill. Give them calm and confidence as they prepare for a new role as servants of our Nation's citizens.

Bless the Members of the people's House who have been entrusted with the privilege to serve our Nation and all Americans in their need. Grant them to work together in respect and affection, faithful in the responsibilities they have been given.

As the end of the 115th Congress approaches, bestow upon them the gifts of wisdom and discernment, that in their actions, they will do
justice, love with mercy, and walk humbly with You.

May all that is done this day be for Your greater honor and glory. Amen.

Going back over the list? I notice the "Chaplain," has never been a Jew. Probably because there has never been a high enough percentage of Jews in congress. This is probably the same reason the rule have not be changed to allow wearing yarmulkes.

Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia

*Snip*

Sigh !

Two completely different topics.

Apples and oranges.

This is the West, not the East.

For centuries it has been the culture in this nation that it is disrespectful to have head coverings inside a building.

It has nothing to do with respect to be wearing jewelry.

Thus, your comparison is a false analogy.

Now, if you want to compare a nun's habit or a veil, then you have an adequate analogy.

A show of religious belief is a show of belief in something superior to human, institutional order. Implicit is an allegiance to one above the other.

It's flauting..
This is "flauting" ya racist clown.

images
Islam is not a race.

Why are folks on the left so obtuse?
Only racists ever make that point.
Dude, I have a good friend that practices Islam. He is a white Canadian of Greek heritage, and you are telling me I am racist against him for not wanting Islamic head covering on the floor of the house?

Wow, you are the one that is racist against everyone on the planet.

Race.jpg
1*vyTlLavtCCUlr7H_WCx1xQ.jpeg

We haven't had a female Muslim elected in 181 years

So, that's all she has to offer in your mind? No surprise there.
It is asshole Republicans whining about a head scarf

Nothing to do with the head scarf. It’s changing rules to accommodate people of other cultures. No other country does it except us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s recognizing the dignity of others is worth more than an archaic rule

We should kick Minnesota out of the Union.

This is an expression of religion! I guess it’s OK when it comes to iSLAM. We’re screwed as a nation. Fucking ABNORMALS and worthless, spineless Repukes are taking us down the path of destruction!....Wherr are the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE scumbags when they should be up in arms....but dont let a 66 year old cross stand on public property to memorialize our fallen war heros!

For 181 years, the U.S. House of Representatives has imposed a ban on its members wearing head coverings. With Ilhan Omar, one of the first Muslim women to be elected to Congress, set to take her oath of office in January, that rule—which would have prohibited her wearing her customary headscarves or the hijab—is slated to change.

The change was proposed jointly by Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, Incoming Rules Chairman Jim McGovern and member-elect Ilhan Omar as part of a larger overhaul package.

When Omar is sworn in next year, she will become the first federal legislator to wear a religious headscarf. Her arrival will mark a number of other “firsts” as well. The Minnesota Democrat will be the first Somali-American in Congress and the first woman of color to represent her state in Washington. She’ll be joined by fellow Midwestern Democrat, Michigan’s Rashida Tlaib, as the first two Muslim women in Congress.

Well... to be fair.....

In Islam, it is more of an expression of male dominance of women. Honestly, if you don't wear one in most Islamic based countries, they stone you to death.

If you really want have religious expression, we better put in place a law to stone women who refuse to wear it.
Yet in this case it is the women who were elected to Congress

We haven't had a female Muslim elected in 181 years

So, that's all she has to offer in your mind? No surprise there.
It is asshole Republicans whining about a head scarf

Nothing to do with the head scarf. It’s changing rules to accommodate people of other cultures. No other country does it except us.

Oh, no?

Take a look at Canada and weep. Or laugh.

Sorry to hear that that woman in an hijab frightens you so very very much.

Your a moron. Why do we have to change the rule for her.

"Your a moron"....these little tidbits just write themselves...:abgg2q.jpg:

Forum List

Back