Democrat unveils bill to allow only House members to serve as Speaker

Ok, I looked it up and the house makes their own rules...outside of constitutional requirements of age, and residency, and living in the USA/State for 7 yrs etc...

And the House chooses their own Speaker....

The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment.

So I don't believe it would be unconstitutional to make a law stating such....the Speaker they vote for must be a representative in the house, to be the Speaker for the house.....Same with the officers of the House.

200 plus years the congress acted as though they presumed the speaker would always be, a representative in the House....And have never elected someone outside of the House.

Care4all
That's what I thought as well. At least that's how its been since I've been watching politics. The HOUSE chooses the speaker.
Well, some are reaching to say that because the constitution didn't prohibit the Speaker of the House from being someone who was never elected as a representative of the house, the house can elect a stranger, not ever elected as a representative of the house.... Because the constitution made no mention of any ban....

I disagree.

But to be certain how it has been understood as someone from the house running the house, this bill closes any alleged loopholes.

Why would it take a constitutional amendment?

The constitution gives congress the power to make their own, Rules?
The Constitution doesn't have that requirement. You can't add requirements just by passing a law or a rule change in the House.

Ok, I looked it up and the house makes their own rules...outside of constitutional requirements of age, and residency, and living in the USA/State for 7 yrs etc...

The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers; and shall have the sole power of impeachment.

So I don't believe it would be unconstitutional to make a law stating such....the Speaker they vote for must be a representative in the house, to be the Speaker for the house.....Same with the officers of the House.

200 plus years the congress acted as though they presumed the speaker would always be, a representative in the House....And have never elected someone outside of the House.
It does not say "The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker from the members of the House"
That would be required to add the qualification and can only be done by amendment.

Idiots don't even know when they are being trolled. They cannot resist swinging at every pitch Donald throws.

The Nazis are deathly afraid that once they lose power in 2023, the Americans will put Donald Trump in as speaker to thwart the fascist Biden regime.
They fear republicans (trump republicans) taking over 2022----and then impeaching both our senile bribe taking biden and our druggy Harris to be replaced with the speaker of the house.

Does the Constitution say that? If so, could you please post it?
Thats the thing about the constitution.. if it doesnt say it, they cant do it. Thats the whole point.
As it only says the house can pick its speaker, they cant regulate it without an amendment.

They cant just add requirements etc if the constitution doesnt give them the authority. That isnt how it works.
Why do you think on some things, it specifically gives them the power of regulation?

The Constitution doesn't have that requirement. You can't add requirements just by passing a law or a rule change in the House.

It does not say "The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker from the members of the House"
That would be required to add the qualification and can only be done by amendment.
Why would they need to mention it? No one would ever presume the congressmen would elect a Speaker of the House or their Officers/Leaders in the House, from outside of the House, a person NEVER ELECTED by we the people, to be third in line for the presidency....?

I'm sorry, that makes no sense to me, or anyone thinking logically....

See you in court!

Last edited:
just another F U to Trump, who was floated as a potential House Speaker in 2022

The Democrats' continued FEAR of Trump is so thick you could cut it with a knife - why else would they even he considering such a bill?!

Bwuhahahahaha. :p

There is no chance of Trump ever becoming Speaker of the House. These people are making complete utter fools of themselves.

Forum List

Back