Democrat Platform destroys the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

come get my guns uncle democrat...as long as you can do it from the road. DONT STEP A FOOT ON MY PROPERTY...I WILL DEFEND IT...have a nice day

I don't support all the gun legislation proposed as some of it I don't see how it makes a practical impact. But I do see much of it and the inherent intent to keep dangerous guns out of hands of dangerous people. I think its a fair discussion that needs to be taken issue by issue. These blanket attacks are useless to me.
"Dangerous guns".

No such thing. Guns are inanimate objects. They don't act; they are acted upon. They are a tool to be utilized.

"Dangerous people".

Getting closer there. Two problems, though.

1. Dangerous people will act dangerously regardless of the tools available or the laws preventing their actions.

2. It really depends on who's defining what's dangerous, doesn't it? To some people, ideas are dangerous and their dissemination must be prevented and those who believe in them must be punished.
Of course there are dangerous guns... extreme example... put a musket next to an Auto with a 100 round magazine... are you really going to tell me that the Auto isn't a more dangerous weapon? Give me a break
Now you're moving the goalposts. You said nothing about the degree of danger.

You wouldn't want someone with a mental illness to have a .50 Barrett sniper rifle. Are you okay with them having a .22 Derringer? The .50 is far more dangerous a weapon.

Where do you draw the line? Or why don't you just go ahead and admit you don't have a line?
I think you misunderstood me. I was simply making the point that there are people that propose a higher risk than others and there are guns that propose a higher risk than others. There for when regulating it makes sense to consider both as factors. I think the fact that a mentally ill person can't walk into a 711 and buy an uzi is a good thing. Yes extreme example but it sets the premise that regulation makes us safer. So lets agree on that and then move forward to do what is most practical and makes the most sense giving each individual situation.
Chicago has lots of gun regulations.

How well are they working?

From Tuesday of last week:

23 shot, 4 fatally, Tuesday in Chicago
Chicago has many problems with gun violence, I think its rather simplistic to blame it on gun regulations or claim that gun regulations don't have any effect. Lets say all gun regulations were dropped in Chicago and anybody could easily get and carry whatever kind of gun they wanted. Do you think the violence would go up or down?
Generally speaking, when legal gun ownership goes up, crime goes down.
Based on data from a 2012 Congressional Research Service (CRS) report (and additional data from another Wonkblog article “There are now more guns than people in the United States”), the number of privately owned firearms in U.S. increased from about 185 million in 1993 to 357 million in 2013.

Adjusted for the U.S. population, the number of guns per American increased from 0.93 per person in 1993 to 1.45 in 2013, which is a 56 percent increase in the number of guns per person that occurred during the same period when gun violence decreased by 49 percent (see new chart below). Of course, that significant correlation doesn’t necessarily imply causation, but it’s logical to believe that those two trends are related. After all, armed citizens frequently prevent crimes from happening, including gun-related homicides, see hundreds of examples here of law-abiding gun owners defending themselves and their families and homes.

Meanwhile, criminals don't obey gun laws. Obviously. What deters criminals is not knowing if their intended targets are armed. In places where gun ownership is heavily regulated, criminals can be sure their targets are defenseless.

Obviously.
Interesting... Thank for the link... What do you think of these studies?

A landmark, comprehensive review of studies looking at the effectiveness of gun control laws in 10 countries was published in 2016. Researchers at Columbia University reviewed 130 studies to compile an overall picture of how effective laws limiting firearms were in reducing deaths.

The authors concluded “the simultaneous implementation of laws targeting multiple elements of firearms regulations reduced firearm-related deaths in certain countries”, and “some specific restrictions on purchase, access, and use of firearms are associated with reductions in firearm deaths”.

More recently, further studies on gun control in the US have been released that show stricter laws by US state, and states nearby, are associated with reduced suicide and homicide rates.

And those studies are crap.....they even fall apart with simple questions.....such as how does universal background checks lower gun crime rates when criminals ignore them?

Well there's an easy answer to that... background checks don't stop the criminals that ignore them. They stop the people who don't get guns because they don't pass a check and they don't have resources to get an illegal firearm.
Oh, you mean like this guy?

A newspaper columnist is crying foul after a gun store rejected his application to purchase a firearm following a background check that uncovered his "admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife."

"Gun manufacturers and the stores that sell them make their money in the dark," the Chicago Sun-Times' Neil Steinberg wrote in his column following his failed attempt to purchase a rifle.

"Congress, which has so much trouble passing the most basic gun laws, passed a law making it illegal for the federal government to fund research into gun violence. Except for the week or two after massacres, the public covers its eyes. Would-be terrorists can buy guns. Insane people can buy guns. But reporters ... that's a different story," he added.

The owners of Maxon Shooter's Supplies in Des Plaines, Ill., however, maintained Steinberg's application was rejected not because he's in media, but for the simple reason that a background check raised several red flags.

"Mr. Steinberg was very aggressive on the phone with Sarah, insisting he was going to write that we denied him because he is a journalist. 'Journalist' is not a protected class, [by the way]," the store said in an explanation made available to the Washington Examiner's media desk.

"We contacted his editor and said that, while we don't normally provide a reason for a denial, in this case to correct the record before you publish, here's why; we pasted a couple links of press accounts of his past behavior and his admission of same. He's free to believe or disbelieve that's why he was denied, but that is why he was denied," the statement added. "There was no 'We'll see you in court!!!!' type of language from us – we simply want to set the record straight. That it undermined his thesis and rendered the column incoherent isn't really our problem, is it?"

Steinberg explained he tried to buy an AR-15 rifle this month following a mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., which claimed the lives of 49 victims, so that he could give a firsthand account of how easy it is to purchase a firearm in the United States.

Since the shooting in Orlando, several newsrooms have produced similar stories bringing attention to the fact that many privately owned gun shops have efficient operations in place by which a customer with a clean record can purchase a firearm in a short amount of time.

Steinberg decided on Maxon Shooter's as a suitable candidate for his experiment.

He claimed he had hang-ups about financially contributing to an industry he despises, but decided anyway to make the trek to the gun store, which he referred to as the "Valley of Death."

He wrote that after introducing himself to the store's staff, he informed them he planned "to buy the gun, shoot at their range, then give it to the police." Steinberg said he was dissuaded of that idea after a salesman, Mike, suggested he sell the firearm back to the store.

Forty percent of gun transactions in the U.S. have "no background checks," the columnist continued, repeating a claim that earned three Pinocchios from the Washington Post's fact checker. "Here, I had paperwork."

"Our transaction took nearly an hour because we chatted. Mike used to read newspapers but doesn't anymore because of opinion writers like me. He knew whether it was legal to bring the gun to Chicago — it's not. He was friendly, candid, so I asked difficult questions. Did he ever feel guilty about the people killed by the guns he sells? No, he said, that's like asking a car dealer if he felt guilty if someone gets drunk and kills somebody in a car he sold. It seemed a fair answer. I asked him if I could quote him in the newspaper, and he said no, I couldn't, so I'm not quoting him," he wrote.

Steinberg submitted his paperwork and waited. And then he got the call.

"At 5:13 Sarah from Maxon called. They were canceling my sale and refunding my money. No gun for you. I called back. Why? 'I don't have to tell you,' she said. I knew that, but was curious. I wasn't rejected by the government? No. So what is it? 'I'm not at liberty,' she said," he wrote.

Steinberg told the woman he suspected his application was rejected because he's in media. She denied the charge.

Maxon Shooter's explained later in a statement to the Chicago Sun-Times that it rejected Stenberg's application because a background check had, "uncovered that Mr. Steinberg has an admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife," he wrote.
I don't know... what do you think?
I think he's pretty stupid, thinking he could just waltz in a buy a gun with a record. But then, he's a leftist, and believes leftist bullshit about guns. He blamed the store employees for not selling him a gun, instead of his own actions.
Why shouldn’t he be able to buy the gun. It’s a god given right isn’t it?
He's not able to buy the gun due to the laws in place...the laws you support and want to expand.

Unless, of course, you want to apply an ideological filter to the law.
first of all you don’t know which laws I support or don’t support.

In this case do you think the guy with the record should be able to waltz into that store and buy a gun no questions asked?

We already have back ground checks for gun stores...we don't need universal backgroundchecks......criminals already get most of their guns through straw buyers who can already pass any background check......
What harm to you see with universal background checks

My post #296 gives you the exact reasons universal background checks are an infringement on the Right to own and carry guns, and simply a backdoor way to get to gun registration, as well as ways to make it harder for Americans to exercise their Right...

You can't give any reason to support universal background checks.
I think it’s a much cleaner and more efficient system to have universal BG checks. That’s a pretty simple and basic reason. I imagine if pressed you also wouldn’t technically have a problem with registration except for the fact that you think it is the step that leads to confiscation. Am I right?
Why do you think the government needs to know what people own?
I think for the same reasons cars require a licensed driver and registration. There is a purpose for that and it is public safety.

I don't support all the gun legislation proposed as some of it I don't see how it makes a practical impact. But I do see much of it and the inherent intent to keep dangerous guns out of hands of dangerous people. I think its a fair discussion that needs to be taken issue by issue. These blanket attacks are useless to me.
"Dangerous guns".

No such thing. Guns are inanimate objects. They don't act; they are acted upon. They are a tool to be utilized.

"Dangerous people".

1. Dangerous people will act dangerously regardless of the tools available or the laws preventing their actions.

2. It really depends on who's defining what's dangerous, doesn't it? To some people, ideas are dangerous and their dissemination must be prevented and those who believe in them must be punished.
Of course there are dangerous guns... extreme example... put a musket next to an Auto with a 100 round magazine... are you really going to tell me that the Auto isn't a more dangerous weapon? Give me a break

You wouldn't want someone with a mental illness to have a .50 Barrett sniper rifle. Are you okay with them having a .22 Derringer? The .50 is far more dangerous a weapon.

Where do you draw the line? Or why don't you just go ahead and admit you don't have a line?
I think you misunderstood me. I was simply making the point that there are people that propose a higher risk than others and there are guns that propose a higher risk than others. There for when regulating it makes sense to consider both as factors. I think the fact that a mentally ill person can't walk into a 711 and buy an uzi is a good thing. Yes extreme example but it sets the premise that regulation makes us safer. So lets agree on that and then move forward to do what is most practical and makes the most sense giving each individual situation.

Chicago has many problems with gun violence, I think its rather simplistic to blame it on gun regulations or claim that gun regulations don't have any effect. Lets say all gun regulations were dropped in Chicago and anybody could easily get and carry whatever kind of gun they wanted. Do you think the violence would go up or down?
Based on data from a 2012 Congressional Research Service (CRS) report (and additional data from another Wonkblog article “There are now more guns than people in the United States”), the number of privately owned firearms in U.S. increased from about 185 million in 1993 to 357 million in 2013.

Adjusted for the U.S. population, the number of guns per American increased from 0.93 per person in 1993 to 1.45 in 2013, which is a 56 percent increase in the number of guns per person that occurred during the same period when gun violence decreased by 49 percent (see new chart below). Of course, that significant correlation doesn’t necessarily imply causation, but it’s logical to believe that those two trends are related. After all, armed citizens frequently prevent crimes from happening, including gun-related homicides, see hundreds of examples here of law-abiding gun owners defending themselves and their families and homes.

Meanwhile, criminals don't obey gun laws. Obviously. What deters criminals is not knowing if their intended targets are armed. In places where gun ownership is heavily regulated, criminals can be sure their targets are defenseless.

Obviously.

A landmark, comprehensive review of studies looking at the effectiveness of gun control laws in 10 countries was published in 2016. Researchers at Columbia University reviewed 130 studies to compile an overall picture of how effective laws limiting firearms were in reducing deaths.

The authors concluded “the simultaneous implementation of laws targeting multiple elements of firearms regulations reduced firearm-related deaths in certain countries”, and “some specific restrictions on purchase, access, and use of firearms are associated with reductions in firearm deaths”.

More recently, further studies on gun control in the US have been released that show stricter laws by US state, and states nearby, are associated with reduced suicide and homicide rates.

And those studies are crap.....they even fall apart with simple questions.....such as how does universal background checks lower gun crime rates when criminals ignore them?

Well there's an easy answer to that... background checks don't stop the criminals that ignore them. They stop the people who don't get guns because they don't pass a check and they don't have resources to get an illegal firearm.

A newspaper columnist is crying foul after a gun store rejected his application to purchase a firearm following a background check that uncovered his "admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife."

"Gun manufacturers and the stores that sell them make their money in the dark," the Chicago Sun-Times' Neil Steinberg wrote in his column following his failed attempt to purchase a rifle.

"Congress, which has so much trouble passing the most basic gun laws, passed a law making it illegal for the federal government to fund research into gun violence. Except for the week or two after massacres, the public covers its eyes. Would-be terrorists can buy guns. Insane people can buy guns. But reporters ... that's a different story," he added.

The owners of Maxon Shooter's Supplies in Des Plaines, Ill., however, maintained Steinberg's application was rejected not because he's in media, but for the simple reason that a background check raised several red flags.

"Mr. Steinberg was very aggressive on the phone with Sarah, insisting he was going to write that we denied him because he is a journalist. 'Journalist' is not a protected class, [by the way]," the store said in an explanation made available to the Washington Examiner's media desk.

"We contacted his editor and said that, while we don't normally provide a reason for a denial, in this case to correct the record before you publish, here's why; we pasted a couple links of press accounts of his past behavior and his admission of same. He's free to believe or disbelieve that's why he was denied, but that is why he was denied," the statement added. "There was no 'We'll see you in court!!!!' type of language from us – we simply want to set the record straight. That it undermined his thesis and rendered the column incoherent isn't really our problem, is it?"

Steinberg explained he tried to buy an AR-15 rifle this month following a mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., which claimed the lives of 49 victims, so that he could give a firsthand account of how easy it is to purchase a firearm in the United States.

Since the shooting in Orlando, several newsrooms have produced similar stories bringing attention to the fact that many privately owned gun shops have efficient operations in place by which a customer with a clean record can purchase a firearm in a short amount of time.

Steinberg decided on Maxon Shooter's as a suitable candidate for his experiment.

He claimed he had hang-ups about financially contributing to an industry he despises, but decided anyway to make the trek to the gun store, which he referred to as the "Valley of Death."

He wrote that after introducing himself to the store's staff, he informed them he planned "to buy the gun, shoot at their range, then give it to the police." Steinberg said he was dissuaded of that idea after a salesman, Mike, suggested he sell the firearm back to the store.

Forty percent of gun transactions in the U.S. have "no background checks," the columnist continued, repeating a claim that earned three Pinocchios from the Washington Post's fact checker. "Here, I had paperwork."

"Our transaction took nearly an hour because we chatted. Mike used to read newspapers but doesn't anymore because of opinion writers like me. He knew whether it was legal to bring the gun to Chicago — it's not. He was friendly, candid, so I asked difficult questions. Did he ever feel guilty about the people killed by the guns he sells? No, he said, that's like asking a car dealer if he felt guilty if someone gets drunk and kills somebody in a car he sold. It seemed a fair answer. I asked him if I could quote him in the newspaper, and he said no, I couldn't, so I'm not quoting him," he wrote.

"At 5:13 Sarah from Maxon called. They were canceling my sale and refunding my money. No gun for you. I called back. Why? 'I don't have to tell you,' she said. I knew that, but was curious. I wasn't rejected by the government? No. So what is it? 'I'm not at liberty,' she said," he wrote.

Steinberg told the woman he suspected his application was rejected because he's in media. She denied the charge.

Maxon Shooter's explained later in a statement to the Chicago Sun-Times that it rejected Stenberg's application because a background check had, "uncovered that Mr. Steinberg has an admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife," he wrote.
I think he's pretty stupid, thinking he could just waltz in a buy a gun with a record. But then, he's a leftist, and believes leftist bullshit about guns. He blamed the store employees for not selling him a gun, instead of his own actions.
He's not able to buy the gun due to the laws in place...the laws you support and want to expand.

In this case do you think the guy with the record should be able to waltz into that store and buy a gun no questions asked?

We already have back ground checks for gun stores...we don't need universal backgroundchecks......criminals already get most of their guns through straw buyers who can already pass any background check......

My post #296 gives you the exact reasons universal background checks are an infringement on the Right to own and carry guns, and simply a backdoor way to get to gun registration, as well as ways to make it harder for Americans to exercise their Right...

I think it’s a much cleaner and more efficient system to have universal BG checks. That’s a pretty simple and basic reason. I imagine if pressed you also wouldn’t technically have a problem with registration except for the fact that you think it is the step that leads to confiscation. Am I right?

Wrong on all of it.........I am against universal background checks and gun registration...completely against them.....

There is no reason for either one, and you can't show a good reason for either one.

We have all the laws we need to arrest and jail criminals who use guns...we have them right now, we do not need any more.....
I can show good reasons for both. UBC is a better process than we currently have to prevent the legal sale of firearms to dangerous people who shouldn’t be owning guns. And Registration is a system that helps law enforcement trace guns that are used in crimes and promotes responsible gun ownership. Same concept that’s used with cars.
Oh, look. There you are, promoting the Democratic Party's gun control plan.

Now lie again and tell me you don't.
I’m done with this argument. Call me whatever you want, I don’t care. You obviously can’t handle the debate and would rather call names and label. I’m not interested in that. I’m not a democrat, I dont know what there platform is. I own 12 guns. I support my right to own those guns. I’m debating gun regulation points and if you can’t handle it then just stop engaging.

I don't see how the Bill of Rights or any legislation prevents regulations around gun ownership. We have legal regulations for all of our constitutional rights. Can you explain how the second amendment is different?

You don't understand because you don't know what the phrase "shall not infringe" means. A common Moon Bat aliment.

If the Dimms couldn't infringe on our rights, their party would be dead by now!
Oh snap.... you sure got them there. Nice one!

Yupp! I did!
They confuse the 1st Amendment right for 'peaceful assembly' with full fledged criminal riots!
This is evident today in the House Oversight Hearing!
Glad that I could oblige you! :smoke:
That entire hearing was an embarrassment. Barr is an embarrassment and so were the partisan hacks from both the left and the right. Vote them all out
barr was awesome...just not what you wanted to hear.....THE TRUTH... guess you need to wake up. if you are a retarded democrat that asks a question...you should listen to the answer..thats the way it works...but not to a democrat....if you dont like the answer try to shut the guy up so noone hears the TRUTH... HOW PATHETIC

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

It will give anti-gunners the ability to demand gun registration.....that is the only real reason the anti-gun extremists want them. If they get universal background checks...which criminals will avoid the same way they avoid current, federally mandated background checks by using straw buyers or simply stealing the guns......

Then criminals will still get guns and the gun crime rate won't go down in democrat party controlled cities....

Mass public shooters who can pass any and all background checks will still commt mass public shootings...

Then, a few years after getting them.....anti-gunners will come back with the same tactics and demand gun registration.....which they need before they confiscate guns ........

There are also other attacks that universal background checks will allow...

The following links explain exactly why universal background checks need to be stopped....

Textual analysis of HR8, bill to "To require a background check for every firearm sale"

Summary

HR8 requires that loans, gifts, and sales of firearms be processed by a gun store. The same fees, paperwork, and permanent record-keeping apply as to buying a new gun from the store.
If you loan a gun to a friend without going to the gun store, the penalty is the same as for knowingly selling a gun to a convicted violent felon.

Likewise, when the friend returns the gun, another trip to the gun store is necessary, upon pain of felony.

A clever trick in HR8 effectively bans handguns for persons 18-to20.

The bill has some narrow exemptions. The minuscule exemption for self-defense does not cover stalking victims. None of the exemptions cover farming and ranching, sharing guns on almost all public and private lands, or storing guns with friends while on vacation. The limited exemption for family excludes first cousins and in-laws.
And this......they love this...

The bill authorizes unlimited fees to be imposed by
regulation.
-----

The narrowness of the self-defense exemption endangers domestic violence victims. For example, a former domestic partner threatens a woman and her children. An attack might come in the next hour, or the next month, or never. The victim and her children cannot know. Because the attack is uncertain—and is certainly not "immediate"—the woman cannot borrow a handgun from a neighbor for her defense. Many domestic violence victims do not have several hundred spare dollars so that they can buy their own gun. Sometimes, threats are manifested at night, when gun stores are not open.

-------

HR8 requires almost all firearms sales and loans to be conducted by a federally-licensed dealer. Because federal law prohibits licensed dealers from transferring handguns to persons under 21 years, HR8 prevents young adults from acquiring handguns. This is a clever way to enact a handgun ban indirectly.

HR8 would prohibit a 20-year-old woman who lives on her own from acquiring a handgun for self-defense in her home, such as by buying it from a relative or borrowing it from a friend.
-----

Exorbitant fees may be imposed by regulation

"(3)(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this sub-section with regulations."

"(D) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision placing a cap on the fee licensees may charge to facilitate transfers in accordance with paragraph (1)."

Regulators may set a minimum fee, but not "a cap on a fee." The Attorney General is allowed to require that every gun store charge a fee of $30, $50, $150, or more. Even a $20 fee can be a hard burden to a poor person.

------
Family members

You can make a "a loan or bona fide gift" to some family members. In-laws and cousins are excluded.

The family exemption vanishes if one family member pays the other in any way. If a brother trades an extra shotgun to his sister in exchange for her extra television, both of them have to go to a gun store. Their exchange will have all the fees and paperwork as if she were buying a gun from the store.
=====

Gun Control Won't Stop Crime

“Universal” Background Checks
Part of the genius of the Bloomberg gun control system is how it creates prohibitions indirectly. Bloomberg’s so-called “universal” background check scheme is a prime example. These bills are never just about having background checks on the private sales of firearms. That aspect is the part that the public is told about. Yet when you read the Bloomberg laws, you find that checks on private sales are the tip of a very large iceberg of gun prohibition.

First, the bills criminalize a vast amount of innocent activity. Suppose you are an nra Certified Instructor teaching an introductory safety class. Under your supervision, students will handle a variety of unloaded firearms. They will learn how different guns have different safeties, and they will learn the safe way to hand a firearm to another person. But thanks to Bloomberg, these classroom firearm lessons are now illegal in Washington state, unless the class takes place at a shooting range.

It’s now also illegal to lend a gun to your friend, so that you can shoot together at a range on your own property. Or to lend a firearm for a week to your neighbor who is being stalked.

Under the Bloomberg system, gun loans are generally forbidden, unless the gun owner and the borrower both go to a gun store first. The store must process the loan as if the store were selling the gun out of its inventory.

Then, when your friend wants to return your gun to you, both of you must go to the gun store again. This time, the store will process that transaction as if you were buying the gun from the store’s inventory. For both the loan and the return of the gun, you will have to pay whatever fees the store charges, and whatever fees the government might charge. The gun store will have to keep a permanent record of you, your friend and the gun, including the gun’s serial number. Depending on the state or city, the government might also keep a permanent record.

In other words, the “background check” law is really a law to expand gun registration—and registration lists are used for confiscation. Consider New York City. In 1967, violent crime in the city was out of control. So the City Council and Mayor John Lindsay required registration of all long guns. The criminals, obviously, did not comply. Thanks to the 1911 Sullivan Act, New York City already had established registration lists for handgun owners.

Then, in 1991, the City Council decided that many lawfully registered firearms were now illegal “assault weapons.” The New York Police Department used the registration lists to ensure that the guns were either surrendered to the government or moved out of the city. When he was mayor of New York City, Bloomberg did the same, after the “assault weapon” law was expanded to cover any rifle or shotgun with an ammunition capacity greater than five rounds.

In Australia and Great Britain—which are often cited as models for the U.S. to follow—registration lists were used for gun confiscation. In Great Britain, this included all handguns; in Australia, handguns over .38 caliber. Both countries banned all semi-automatic or pump-action long guns.

Most American jurisdictions don’t have a comprehensive gun registration system. But even if your state legislature has outlawed gun registration, firearm stores must keep records. Those records could be harvested for future confiscations. Under the Bloomberg system, the store’s list would include not just the guns that the store actually sold, but all the guns (and their owners) that the store processed, for friends or relatives borrowing guns.
So it sounds like your saying there is nothing technically wrong with universal BG checks except for what you think might come afterwards which is registration. Am I understanding you correctly?

No........I posted just a few things wrong with the universal background checks.......and they are all deal killers. Gun registration alone is the reason to stop them, then when you get into the details and you find out how they attack normal gun owners it just shows even more reasons to block them at all cost.

And on top of that....they don't even work to stop criminals or mass shooters....

So complete, hard, no to universal background checks.
Do you truly believe that no laws have ever prevented somebody from getting and using a gun to commit a crime?

No.....I think we have all the laws we need, right now, to arrest and jail people who use guns for crimes. I also believe that the call for more laws are not based in trying to stop criminals from getting and using guns, but are simply small steps to removing guns from the hands of normal, law abiding Americans.

I have shown you that universal background checks do not stop criminals from getting illegal guns. I have shown you they have no effect on mass public shooters.

I then showed you the ultimate goal....gun registration that will be used for gun confiscation.

You can't show any reason that we need universal background checks when the laws we already have deal with all of the gun crime issues.
I understand that you think we have all the laws we need but you didn’t answer my question. Do you think that gun regulation has ever stopped a person from getting a gun and committing a crime with it?

Yes......and then they either used a straw buyer or stole their gun. So no.
They all use straw buyers or steal a gun? You really believe that?

I have article after article on straw buyers who are caught and given light sentences...that is the problem....criminals released over and over again.
That’s fine, I don’t disagree that straw buyers are a problem. I just don’t buy the fact you think regulations haven’t prevented any crimes from being made. Granted yes, many can find guns illegally. But some don’t and those who don’t also don’t follow through with gun crime. No I don’t have stats as you can’t make stats on prevented crimes but common sense should lead you towards agreement

I don't see how the Bill of Rights or any legislation prevents regulations around gun ownership. We have legal regulations for all of our constitutional rights. Can you explain how the second amendment is different?

You don't understand because you don't know what the phrase "shall not infringe" means. A common Moon Bat aliment.

If the Dimms couldn't infringe on our rights, their party would be dead by now!
Oh snap.... you sure got them there. Nice one!

Yupp! I did!
They confuse the 1st Amendment right for 'peaceful assembly' with full fledged criminal riots!
This is evident today in the House Oversight Hearing!
Glad that I could oblige you! :smoke:
That entire hearing was an embarrassment. Barr is an embarrassment and so were the partisan hacks from both the left and the right. Vote them all out
barr was awesome...just not what you wanted to hear.....THE TRUTH... guess you need to wake up. if you are a retarded democrat that asks a question...you should listen to the answer..thats the way it works...but not to a democrat....if you dont like the answer try to shut the guy up so noone hears the TRUTH... HOW PATHETIC
The Dems embarrassed themselves by constantly cutting Barr off. The republicans embarrassed themselves for kissing Barr’s ass... Barr embarrasses himself for kissing Trumps ass

The filthy ass Democrats have never understood the Bill of Rights, have they?

Elect the asshole Democrats and you get your Constitution rights taken away and they tell you that it is for your own good.

They sure as hell don't understand what the word "infringement" means, do they? Typical for uneducated Liberals.

The only license I need to own a gun is the Bill of Rights. I sure as hell don't need some Democrat Moon Bat politician that have never fired a firearm telling me how to store and keep my firearms.

12020 Democratic Party Platform

Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition,
close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers and some individuals convicted of assault
or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal background check
system. We will close the “Charleston loophole” and prevent individuals who have been
convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale
of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing
requirements for owning firearms and “red flag” laws that allow courts to temporarily remove
guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass
legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun
companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will
prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.
interesting but what other rights will you find the words SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
None
So why try to infringe on a right that you can't legally do?
Well that depends on how you define infringe. Many feel that infringe means that you can not take that right away but regulating it is acceptable. I happen to agree with that and I imagine you do as well if you were being honest. Hence my uzi sale to a 10 year old example.

Damn that was a stupid comment
What does shall not be Infringe mean?
Shall not infringe is the opposite of infringe
If

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

I think for the same reasons cars require a licensed driver and registration. There is a purpose for that and it is public safety.
You don't need a license to drive a car on private property. And registration is more about tax revenue than public safety.

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

Wrong on all of it.........I am against universal background checks and gun registration...completely against them.....

There is no reason for either one, and you can't show a good reason for either one.

We have all the laws we need to arrest and jail criminals who use guns...we have them right now, we do not need any more.....
I can show good reasons for both. UBC is a better process than we currently have to prevent the legal sale of firearms to dangerous people who shouldn’t be owning guns. And Registration is a system that helps law enforcement trace guns that are used in crimes and promotes responsible gun ownership. Same concept that’s used with cars.

I’m done with this argument. Call me whatever you want, I don’t care. You obviously can’t handle the debate and would rather call names and label. I’m not interested in that. I’m not a democrat, I dont know what there platform is. I own 12 guns. I support my right to own those guns. I’m debating gun regulation points and if you can’t handle it then just stop engaging.
Their platform is easy. It's everything you're advocating.

Don't like it being pointed out?

Stop advocating it.

Elect the asshole Democrats and you get your Constitution rights taken away and they tell you that it is for your own good.

They sure as hell don't understand what the word "infringement" means, do they? Typical for uneducated Liberals.

The only license I need to own a gun is the Bill of Rights. I sure as hell don't need some Democrat Moon Bat politician that have never fired a firearm telling me how to store and keep my firearms.

Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition,
close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers and some individuals convicted of assault
or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal background check
system. We will close the “Charleston loophole” and prevent individuals who have been
convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale
of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing
requirements for owning firearms and “red flag” laws that allow courts to temporarily remove
guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass
legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun
companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will
prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.
interesting but what other rights will you find the words SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
None
Well that depends on how you define infringe. Many feel that infringe means that you can not take that right away but regulating it is acceptable. I happen to agree with that and I imagine you do as well if you were being honest. Hence my uzi sale to a 10 year old example.

If
Yes, I see it as the right to bare arms shall not be infringed. It doesn’t say all arms. You can be permitted to own a hand gun or hunting rifle those are arms and you retain your right and ability to protect yourself. Got no problem not selling you an uzi or other machine gun.

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

You don't need a license to drive a car on private property. And registration is more about tax revenue than public safety.
If you say so

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

Their platform is easy. It's everything you're advocating.

Don't like it being pointed out?

Stop advocating it.
As I said feel free to call me a dem all you want. I no longer give a shit

None

If
Yes, I see it as the right to bare arms shall not be infringed. It doesn’t say all arms. You can be permitted to own a hand gun or hunting rifle those are arms and you retain your right and ability to protect yourself. Got no problem not selling you an uzi or other machine gun.
It says shall not be infringed meaning you cannot prevent the access to firearms to citizens
Hunting has zero connection with the second amendment The second amendment was meant for taking down terrorist like Antifa

None

If
It says shall not be infringed meaning you cannot prevent the access to firearms to citizens
Hunting has zero connection with the second amendment The second amendment was meant for taking down terrorist like Antifa
Is that right? So let me ask you. If somebody goes to jail for murder should they be allowed to take a gun with them to prison? Should they be able to get one Rightafter they are released?

And there are limits on the Right to own and carry guns.....you can't use a gun to rob, rape and murder people.......we laws for that already....we don't need anymore.
There are limits on the Right to own and carry guns yet people still use guns to rob, rape and murder people. Maybe the laws we have are flawed?

No...the laws are fine......if you use a gun for a crime you can be arrested and put in jail.

The problem isn't the laws....the problem is the democrat party keeps releasing violent repeat gun offenders...on another thread I posted about a violent criminal.....sentenced to 5 years for an armed robbery...out in 2.5 years and he gets another illegal gun and shoots 3 police officers......

That is our problem.......the democrat party releasing these violent criminals who are the ones using guns illegally.

We don't need more gun laws that that individual will ignore...we need to keep him in jail for 30 years........
We already have the one of the largest prison populations in the world. I don't think more prisons are the answer unless you're in China.

You are wrong.....it isn't how many people we have in prison...it is whether or not you keep letting the most violent criminals out over and over again.....if they are violent and get out of prison, it doesn't matter how many people you have locked up...temporarily......

If you let violent criminals out, like the guy in chicago.....on 2.5 years on a 5 year sentence.....then he gets an another illegal gun and shoots people...it doesn't matter how many other prisoners you have locked up...

He should have been in prison for 30 years....

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

Again....cars are not connected to a Right..... a Right one political party wants to end...and to end it they need to know who owns the guns and where they are.

"Dangerous guns".

"Dangerous people".

Obviously.

It will give anti-gunners the ability to demand gun registration.....that is the only real reason the anti-gun extremists want them. If they get universal background checks...which criminals will avoid the same way they avoid current, federally mandated background checks by using straw buyers or simply stealing the guns......

Then criminals will still get guns and the gun crime rate won't go down in democrat party controlled cities....

Mass public shooters who can pass any and all background checks will still commt mass public shootings...

Then, a few years after getting them.....anti-gunners will come back with the same tactics and demand gun registration.....which they need before they confiscate guns ........

There are also other attacks that universal background checks will allow...

The following links explain exactly why universal background checks need to be stopped....

Textual analysis of HR8, bill to "To require a background check for every firearm sale"

Summary

HR8 requires that loans, gifts, and sales of firearms be processed by a gun store. The same fees, paperwork, and permanent record-keeping apply as to buying a new gun from the store.
If you loan a gun to a friend without going to the gun store, the penalty is the same as for knowingly selling a gun to a convicted violent felon.

Likewise, when the friend returns the gun, another trip to the gun store is necessary, upon pain of felony.

A clever trick in HR8 effectively bans handguns for persons 18-to20.

The bill has some narrow exemptions. The minuscule exemption for self-defense does not cover stalking victims. None of the exemptions cover farming and ranching, sharing guns on almost all public and private lands, or storing guns with friends while on vacation. The limited exemption for family excludes first cousins and in-laws.
And this......they love this...

The bill authorizes unlimited fees to be imposed by
regulation.
-----

The narrowness of the self-defense exemption endangers domestic violence victims. For example, a former domestic partner threatens a woman and her children. An attack might come in the next hour, or the next month, or never. The victim and her children cannot know. Because the attack is uncertain—and is certainly not "immediate"—the woman cannot borrow a handgun from a neighbor for her defense. Many domestic violence victims do not have several hundred spare dollars so that they can buy their own gun. Sometimes, threats are manifested at night, when gun stores are not open.

-------

HR8 requires almost all firearms sales and loans to be conducted by a federally-licensed dealer. Because federal law prohibits licensed dealers from transferring handguns to persons under 21 years, HR8 prevents young adults from acquiring handguns. This is a clever way to enact a handgun ban indirectly.

HR8 would prohibit a 20-year-old woman who lives on her own from acquiring a handgun for self-defense in her home, such as by buying it from a relative or borrowing it from a friend.
-----

Exorbitant fees may be imposed by regulation

"(3)(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this sub-section with regulations."

"(D) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision placing a cap on the fee licensees may charge to facilitate transfers in accordance with paragraph (1)."

Regulators may set a minimum fee, but not "a cap on a fee." The Attorney General is allowed to require that every gun store charge a fee of $30, $50, $150, or more. Even a $20 fee can be a hard burden to a poor person.

------
Family members

You can make a "a loan or bona fide gift" to some family members. In-laws and cousins are excluded.

The family exemption vanishes if one family member pays the other in any way. If a brother trades an extra shotgun to his sister in exchange for her extra television, both of them have to go to a gun store. Their exchange will have all the fees and paperwork as if she were buying a gun from the store.
=====

Gun Control Won't Stop Crime

“Universal” Background Checks
Part of the genius of the Bloomberg gun control system is how it creates prohibitions indirectly. Bloomberg’s so-called “universal” background check scheme is a prime example. These bills are never just about having background checks on the private sales of firearms. That aspect is the part that the public is told about. Yet when you read the Bloomberg laws, you find that checks on private sales are the tip of a very large iceberg of gun prohibition.

First, the bills criminalize a vast amount of innocent activity. Suppose you are an nra Certified Instructor teaching an introductory safety class. Under your supervision, students will handle a variety of unloaded firearms. They will learn how different guns have different safeties, and they will learn the safe way to hand a firearm to another person. But thanks to Bloomberg, these classroom firearm lessons are now illegal in Washington state, unless the class takes place at a shooting range.

It’s now also illegal to lend a gun to your friend, so that you can shoot together at a range on your own property. Or to lend a firearm for a week to your neighbor who is being stalked.

Under the Bloomberg system, gun loans are generally forbidden, unless the gun owner and the borrower both go to a gun store first. The store must process the loan as if the store were selling the gun out of its inventory.

Then, when your friend wants to return your gun to you, both of you must go to the gun store again. This time, the store will process that transaction as if you were buying the gun from the store’s inventory. For both the loan and the return of the gun, you will have to pay whatever fees the store charges, and whatever fees the government might charge. The gun store will have to keep a permanent record of you, your friend and the gun, including the gun’s serial number. Depending on the state or city, the government might also keep a permanent record.

In other words, the “background check” law is really a law to expand gun registration—and registration lists are used for confiscation. Consider New York City. In 1967, violent crime in the city was out of control. So the City Council and Mayor John Lindsay required registration of all long guns. The criminals, obviously, did not comply. Thanks to the 1911 Sullivan Act, New York City already had established registration lists for handgun owners.

Then, in 1991, the City Council decided that many lawfully registered firearms were now illegal “assault weapons.” The New York Police Department used the registration lists to ensure that the guns were either surrendered to the government or moved out of the city. When he was mayor of New York City, Bloomberg did the same, after the “assault weapon” law was expanded to cover any rifle or shotgun with an ammunition capacity greater than five rounds.

In Australia and Great Britain—which are often cited as models for the U.S. to follow—registration lists were used for gun confiscation. In Great Britain, this included all handguns; in Australia, handguns over .38 caliber. Both countries banned all semi-automatic or pump-action long guns.

Most American jurisdictions don’t have a comprehensive gun registration system. But even if your state legislature has outlawed gun registration, firearm stores must keep records. Those records could be harvested for future confiscations. Under the Bloomberg system, the store’s list would include not just the guns that the store actually sold, but all the guns (and their owners) that the store processed, for friends or relatives borrowing guns.
So it sounds like your saying there is nothing technically wrong with universal BG checks except for what you think might come afterwards which is registration. Am I understanding you correctly?

No........I posted just a few things wrong with the universal background checks.......and they are all deal killers. Gun registration alone is the reason to stop them, then when you get into the details and you find out how they attack normal gun owners it just shows even more reasons to block them at all cost.

And on top of that....they don't even work to stop criminals or mass shooters....

So complete, hard, no to universal background checks.
Do you truly believe that no laws have ever prevented somebody from getting and using a gun to commit a crime?

No.....I think we have all the laws we need, right now, to arrest and jail people who use guns for crimes. I also believe that the call for more laws are not based in trying to stop criminals from getting and using guns, but are simply small steps to removing guns from the hands of normal, law abiding Americans.

I have shown you that universal background checks do not stop criminals from getting illegal guns. I have shown you they have no effect on mass public shooters.

I then showed you the ultimate goal....gun registration that will be used for gun confiscation.

You can't show any reason that we need universal background checks when the laws we already have deal with all of the gun crime issues.
I understand that you think we have all the laws we need but you didn’t answer my question. Do you think that gun regulation has ever stopped a person from getting a gun and committing a crime with it?

Yes......and then they either used a straw buyer or stole their gun. So no.
They all use straw buyers or steal a gun? You really believe that?

I have article after article on straw buyers who are caught and given light sentences...that is the problem....criminals released over and over again.
That’s fine, I don’t disagree that straw buyers are a problem. I just don’t buy the fact you think regulations haven’t prevented any crimes from being made. Granted yes, many can find guns illegally. But some don’t and those who don’t also don’t follow through with gun crime. No I don’t have stats as you can’t make stats on prevented crimes but common sense should lead you towards agreement

Again....we already have enough laws to arrest and lock up people who use guns illegally. We do not need universal background checks and gun registration....they are first, violations of the Right to own and carry guns, second, they lead to confiscation once the wrong political party has power, third, they do nothing to help stop criminals and mass shooters from getting guns....and last....they create obstacle for the exercise of the Right, that also create more legal peril for law abiding citizens by creating crimes simply for paperwork issues....

None

If

The Supreme Court stated all bearable arm are covered, and Scalia stated the AR-15, by name is covered...as are all similar rifles.

None

If
Is that right? So let me ask you. If somebody goes to jail for murder should they be allowed to take a gun with them to prison? Should they be able to get one Rightafter they are released?
You should stop with the Ad hominem
what rights do you keep when you murder someone?

Forum List

Back