define conservatism

I agree with nearly all, think the problem in replying is that the poster is pretending to be conservative, while spinning all over the place? Either they will realize we give a fair hearing or they'll end up being a cast off. Lying/disinformation doesn't fly or sail.

Has is occurred to you that you are the pretender in that it is you that do not know what conservatism is?

Has is occurred to you that you are the pretender in that it is you that do not know what conservatism is?

Guess it all depends on how you define "conservatism," doesn't it? You are atempting to hold a static line in an ever-evolving ideal. Not to mention, I have YET to meet a by the book Conservative on all matters.

But I've met plenty who try to come on here playing the conservative and putting on the act of self-evaluation.

Nope darling, my bonafides are what they are and established. You on the other hand post a mix of conservative and liberal, claiming all the while to be conservative. You honey, are a poser.

It has occurred to me that you use a simplistic idea of what Conservatism is.

As far as I can tell only Social Conservatism is supposed to meet your criteria.

As far as Conservatism in a political sense it necessitates the defense of established values. In the US there is a large Libertarian thread that permeates the culture, it is one of the reasons we never became as far left as our European counterparts, and is one of the things Conservatives in this nation work to defend. Hence the "confusion" that seems to overcome you as the Conservatives continually talk about those values and how they wish to either preserve or return to them. You can see this effect in the culture in the "American Dream" to pull oneself from the bottom to the top of the pile....

Since different cultures have different established values there are different goals in different nations for Conservatives. The idea that it must meet some silly form of only Social Moral Values is just overly simplistic and unnecessarily binds "Conservative" inside a box in which it does not fit.

Here, read a bit about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism

You may be surprised at how it doesn't fit into your silly little box.

1. As far right Christian whack job, I would love to be able to argue that “the year of our Lord” is a direct and binding reference to Christianity. But unfortunately, it is merely a reference to the Christian calendar.[/qutoe]

Wouldn't simply saying 1787 have been sufficient? What other calendar could the delegates to the Constitutional Convention have been thinking of?
It was the style of the day for such a monumental document.

A start:

* less taxes: from city on up. Look at gas station pump price. I live in IL. Collar county. Reg. gas today: 2.27 Chicago: 2.63. Difference? City and County taxes. Henry County-west of collar counties, 2.03. Same difference in causes.

* less interference in our lives: Department of Education. Abortion. Gay marriage. Anything to do with our day-to-day lives. Leave those issues to the state/county/city.

* Property rights: Only case for Emminent Domain, better conditions for the general public. Not for corporations or even the city. Not to increase tax base. Too build a hospital? Perhaps. A highway? Maybe. Green space? Referendum.

You get the idea.

so u would agree with the courts when they striked down the sodemy law huh?

Not really. If we can just get our GOP presidents to stop nominating RINOs for judges.

Apparently this is all Republican presidents can do. When they do get a halfway genuine conservative it's only by accident.

Among the first group of judges that GW nominated to the federal bench were at least 2 Democrats and one of these had been previously nominated by Clinton and rejected by the Republican controlled Senate. I gave up all hope that Republicans would do right by the federal bench a long time ago.

Maybe the President would stop appointing RINOs if Americans would stop voting for RINOs.

If this was the style of monumental documents at that time, why does the expression not appear in the Declaration of Independence?

Oh, you are talking of the "Year of our Lord"....

It was because of the contract that was implied. The Declaration was not a Contract, it was a letter and was dated as letters were at that time. At the top. Pretty simple there Mr. Conspiracy.

You will notice that other than the mention of the year there is nary a mention of a Higher Being in the actual Constitution. However there is in the Declaration where we are endowed by our Creator....

Forum List

Back