Defense leaders warn of impact of budget cuts

and obama pledged to close gitmo and not use signing statements.
how's that working out?

among the other things i don't believe in, in addition to the *pledges* of pols, are the tooth fairy and the easter bunny. :lol:

they propose 30BB in cuts and the defense establishment is whining about it and in your head that somehow comes out as the repubs won't cut the budget. keep swinging :thup:

Correction, the "Pubs" pledged to cut $100B. Now, they are having trouble finding $30B, and meanwhile, their buddies in the defense industry are keeping them in check on defense spending.

Now here's where you lose me: How do you reccon that the "Buddies" of the defense industry are only republicans, and not also democrats?

I am painting with a broad brush this morning. Work with me here. However, let's be honest, history proves that the GOP supports defense spending over any other type of spending. Fair?

Correction, the "Pubs" pledged to cut $100B. Now, they are having trouble finding $30B, and meanwhile, their buddies in the defense industry are keeping them in check on defense spending.

Now here's where you lose me: How do you reccon that the "Buddies" of the defense industry are only republicans, and not also democrats?

I am painting with a broad brush this morning. Work with me here. However, let's be honest, history proves that the GOP supports defense spending over any other type of spending. Fair?

Then what do you think democrats "support over any other type of spending?"....and where are they proposing to cut this budget?

Then what do you think democrats "support over any other type of spending?"....and where are they proposing to cut this budget?

If you recall, the Democrats never ran on a platform of "smaller government" nor "decreasing spending". It simply isn't in their blood (broad brush again) to do so. However, the GOP, backed by the extreme Tea Party candidates DID run on just such a platform. Hence, I am targeting their cuts at this time. And don't get me started on the promised yet still missing "Jobs Bill"....

If you recall, the Democrats never ran on a platform of "smaller government" nor "decreasing spending". It simply isn't in their blood (broad brush again) to do so. However, the GOP, backed by the extreme Tea Party candidates DID run on just such a platform. Hence, I am targeting their cuts at this time. And don't get me started on the promised yet still missing "Jobs Bill"....

No I do not recall that "Democrats never ran on a platform of 'smaller government' nor 'decreasing spending'. "

President Clinton's 1996 State of the Union Address as delivered

We have worked to give the American people a smaller, less bureaucratic government in Washington......I believe our new, smaller government must work in an old-fashioned American way, together with all of our citizens through state and local governments, in the workplace, in religious, charitable and civic associations.

No I do not recall that "Democrats never ran on a platform of 'smaller government' nor 'decreasing spending'. "

We have worked to give the American people a smaller, less bureaucratic government in Washington......I believe our new, smaller government must work in an old-fashioned American way, together with all of our citizens through state and local governments, in the workplace, in religious, charitable and civic associations.

My apologies. Pooor choice of words with "never" on my part. I was referring to this most recent Dem take over of Congress and the WH.

My apologies. Pooor choice of words with "never" on my part. I was referring to this most recent Dem take over of Congress and the WH.

President Obama: I Believe Government Should Be Lean - Political Punch

September, 2010

In Cleveland, Ohio, today, President Obama said, “I believe government should be lean; government should be efficient. I believe government should leave people free to make the choices they think are best for themselves and their families, so long as those choices don’t hurt others.”

September, 2010

In Cleveland, Ohio, today, President Obama said, “I believe government should be lean; government should be efficient. I believe government should leave people free to make the choices they think are best for themselves and their families, so long as those choices don’t hurt others.”

Which says nothing of making government smaller, he simply wanted our government to work as efficiently as possible. If you are trying to draw a comparison between Obama and the new "fiscally conservative" GOP, I think you are stretching a bit.

Unless we cut social programs and entitlements along with military, we're just pissing into a hurrricane.

Likewise, unless we cut military spending along with social programs and entitlements (which the GOP has already put in a plan for), we're just pissing into a hurricane.

September, 2010

Which says nothing of making government smaller, he simply wanted our government to work as efficiently as possible. If you are trying to draw a comparison between Obama and the new "fiscally conservative" GOP, I think you are stretching a bit.

So, by "lean" you believe Obama meant "much larger, but efficient?"

The next time someone complains that I'm driving an SUV, I'll just say "It's more efficient than driving an Ocean Liner."

• Thanks
Reactions: del
On Wednesday, Republican lawmakers rolled out a plan to give the Pentagon about $518 billion, which is about $1 billion more than the 2010 level, but still well short of the $531 billion recommended in Obama's 2011 request.
:eusa_whistle:

They added money, but shaved a mighty 3% off of Obummer's request. Not a hell of a lot to crow about in the fiscal responsibility department.
Nor is it much for the DOD to get their panties in a wad over. Not when a truncheon needs to be taken to their budget.

Subs also used a surveillance... not as exposed as other naval vessels when deployed to a hot region.... and more than just some first strike missile platform

I say cut the defense budget by scrutinizing contracts, stopping payment to contractors who are in breach, etc... also revisit many 'projects' for viability by those, not in the politics realm, who are in the business of national defense

:lol:

Unless we cut social programs and entitlements along with military, we're just pissing into a hurrricane.

Likewise, unless we cut military spending along with social programs and entitlements (which the GOP has already put in a plan for), we're just pissing into a hurricane.

We need to score the military entitlements as part of defense spending and go from there.

Is 32B supposed to get us aroused? They even backed down from their original 100B. Like I said, it's nothing but a pissfest into a hurricane and we're all the beneficiaries of such ineptitude.

So, by "lean" you believe Obama meant "much larger, but efficient?"

The next time someone complains that I'm driving an SUV, I'll just say "It's more efficient than driving an Ocean Liner."

Why would anyone complain about the vehicle you drive? You are the one who has to put gas in it, right?

why don't you read your own link instead of putting up strawman bullshit about the GOP?

On Wednesday, Republican lawmakers rolled out a plan to give the Pentagon about $518 billion, which is about $1 billion more than the 2010 level, but still well short of the $531 billion recommended in Obama's 2011 request.

:eusa_whistle:

What does that have to do with anything?

Forum List

Back