Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
...with a little science over hype

How Anti-Immigration Activists Misuse Rape Statistics

The Internet has brought an enormous mass of knowledge to the fingertips of everyone with a computer, smartphone or tablet. Never before have so many individuals been so close to true scientific facts about the world, from fun facts about animals to the latest crime statistics. Large communities with blogs, forums and social media groups have grown up around a wide variety of special interests and it has become a powerful tool for communication, cooperation and the advancement of human knowledge.

However, this has also led to the creation of ideologically isolated Internet communities, where faulty claims and misunderstandings of statistics and empirical evidence gets repeated in an endless echo chamber and all refutations are either ignored, misrepresented or subjected to ideologically driven rejection, often with stale references to supposed “political correctness”, as if that was a statistically mature rebuttal.

This article will show that according to crime victim surveys, the actual rate of sex crimes has been more or less unchanged in Sweden between 2005 and 2014, despite the fact that immigration has increased during the same time period. Instead, the increasing rates of reported rapes are influenced by expansion of the legal rape definition, an increase in the tendency to report rapes, police efforts to classify each individual rape as a separate crime and their tendency to classify any sex crime that could potentially be rape as rape. It will also demonstrate that reported rates between countries such as Sweden and Denmark cannot be naively compared to do the large difference in legal rape definition and police registration methods.

Conclusion

The moral of the story is that you should not get your information about crime statistics from shady blogs who make trivial statistical errors (like confusing reported and actual crimes) or Youtube videos. Instead, go to the original scientific papers or crime victim surveys, read them and understand the methodology, results, limitations and conclusions. There are no shortcuts to substantial knowledge.

The increasing rates of reported rape in Sweden is primarily caused by a repeated expansion of the rape definition, the fact that police is consciously reported all rapes as individual reports and an observed increase in the tendency to report rape. The differences between rates of reported rape between e. g. Sweden and Denmark is caused by differences in rape definition, differences in registration methods and efforts to rape all sex crimes that might be rape as rape.

In the end, it is doubly ironic that anti-immigration activists say that they refuse to read mainstream media because of its bias, yet (1) are strongly influenced by the increase in sensationalist coverage of violent crime by mainstream media and (2) are so willing to believe claims made by “alternative” media that are unsupported and often contradicted by actual crime victim survey results.

Edited to correct link.

Last edited:
However, this has also led to the creation of ideologically isolated Internet communities, where faulty claims and misunderstandings of statistics and empirical evidence gets repeated in an endless echo chamber and all refutations are either ignored, misrepresented or subjected to ideologically driven rejection, often with stale references to supposed “political correctness”, as if that was a statistically mature rebuttal.

Needless to say, its not just illegal immigrants who are victimized by wild and crazy lies.

Remember when we thought the Internet would be the beginning of a true age of knowledge? All that information, right at our fingertips. What could possibly go wrong?

I haven't seen figures but my bet is that facts constitute less than 1% of what we see on line. The rest is opinion, driven by various agendas.

Ahh, so we link to an image that says "Only Jesus can build a bridge to heaven using only two pieces of wood."

But forget the other side of that deal. Not everyone gets into heaven, not everyone is allowed into heaven, not even on that bridge Jesus built with two pieces of wood. Hence the words Jesus spoke in Matthew 7:23.

Meaning, that just like immigration laws which set the standard for those who want to get into our country, there are also standards set by God for those who wish to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:
Ahh, so we link to an image that says "Only Jesus can build a bridge to heaven using only two pieces of wood."

But forget the other side of that deal. Not everyone gets into heaven, not everyone is allowed into heaven, not even on that bridge Jesus built with two pieces. Hence the words Jesus spoke in Matthew 7:23.

Meaning, that just like immigration laws which set the standard for those who want to get into our country, there are also standards set by God for those who wish to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

I think you're stretching it a wee bit to compare immigration laws to Jesus....he didn't turn away the poor, needy, those seeking help. He didn't build walls to keep them out of Heaven.

.....I'm thinking this may belong in another thread....

But forget the other side of that deal. Not everyone gets into heaven, not everyone is allowed into heaven, not even on that bridge Jesus built with two pieces. Hence the words Jesus spoke in Matthew 7:23.

I think you're stretching it a wee bit to compare immigration laws to Jesus....he didn't turn away the poor, needy, those seeking help. He didn't build walls to keep them out of Heaven.

.....I'm thinking this may belong in another thread....

The Jesus I learned about did the opposite of we're seeing now. And he told his followers to help those less fortunate. And I really doubt he ever demanded to see anyone's proof of citizenship.

No I'm not. And yes he did. Both are rules and stipulations regarding entry into their respective domains. Now here's a question, how many poor and needy people died without knowing Christ? Whatever number you come up with might be the number who weren't granted the blessing of heaven.

Oh by the way, God did build a wall around heaven, as described by John in Revelation 21:10-27:

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God.

11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.

12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel.

13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west.

14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls.

16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia (or 1,400 miles) in length, and as wide and high as it is long (1,400 miles both ways).

17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits (200 feet) thick.

18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass.

19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald,

20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst

21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.

23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.

25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.

26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it.

27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

So you see, not only was there a wall built around heaven, God had angels guarding each of the gates. So yes, he did build a wall, and yes he even posted guards at the gates. So, are we to call John a liar? God set standards and commands which governed the entry process into heaven. Even if that meant denying any "poor or needy" person who did shameful or deceitful things, who didn't know God or follow him, or whose names weren't written in the Lamb's book of life from entering the kingdom of heaven.

Which brings us to our immigration laws. Same concept. We have a border (pffft, border, hah!) and laws which govern entry into the country. If you've come here illegally, you don't belong here (anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful). If you aren't a naturalized citizen, you don't belong here (similar to not having your name written in the Lamb's book of life). So, how are these things different? How would building a wall change that?

I hope I've dispensed with this rose colored notion of yours that Jesus or God are both all-compassionate entities who only make life easy for everyone. Or whom would neeeever, eeeever subject any of their creations to negative consequences. That's not Jesus, nor is that God. In fact your view of them could be seen as flawed. They are capable of great love, compassion and altruism, but they are also capable of great wrath and judgement. The Bible points that out. Even the masters and creators of our universe have their own rules.

To paraphrase Luddly here, the Jesus I learned about would never withhold judgement or punishment from those who rightly deserved it. Nor would he withhold blessings from those who asked for and earned them. The whole idea here in context of immigration (or the illegality thereof), is that you can't just steal your way into heaven, no more than you can steal your citizenship from a country you don't belong to. You have to earn your way into both.

Last edited:
Playing the Jesus card took away from the main point of your thread. Which, I might add, didn't link to any meaningful statistics about rapes in Sweden in correlation to the amount of Muslim immigrants entering the country.

Probably a dumb question:

Why would God need a wall around heaven?????
It insures satan and the angels that follow satan cannot enter in to places that their are barred out of. The kingdom of heaven is within you. Luke 17

the actual rate of sex crimes has been more or less unchanged in Sweden between 2005 and 2014, despite the fact that immigration has increased during the same time period.

True, but while the rate of sex crimes hasn't changed despite the rise in immigration, the rise in Muslim immigrants may effect who carries out those sex crimes. The rate doesn't have to change, but the demographics of the people who commit those sex crimes can.

Last edited:

No I'm not. And yes he did. Both are rules and stipulations regarding entry. So, how many poor and needy people died without knowing God? Whatever number you come up with might be the number who weren't granted the blessing of heaven.

Oh by the way, God did build a wall around heaven, as described by John in Revelation 21:10-27:

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God.

11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.

12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel.

13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west.

14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls.

16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia (or 1,400 miles) in length, and as wide and high as it is long (1,400 miles both ways).

17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits (200 feet) thick.

19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald,

20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst

21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.

23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.

27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

So you see, not only was there a wall built around heaven, God had angels guarding each of the gates. So yes, he did build a wall, and yes he even posted guards at the gates. So, are we to call John a liar? God set standards and commands which governed the entry process into heaven. Even if that meant denying any "poor or needy" person who did shameful or deceitful things, or whose names weren't written in the Lamb's book of life from entering heaven.

Which brings us to our immigration laws. Same concept. We have a border (pffft, border, hah!) and laws which govern entry into the country. If you've come here illegally, you don't belong here (anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful). If you aren't a naturalized citizen, you don't belong here (similar to not having your name written in the Lamb's book of life). So how are these things different?
God needs a fucking wall? :rofl:

Omnipotent my ass!

No I'm not. And yes he did. Both are rules and stipulations regarding entry. So, how many poor and needy people died without knowing God? Whatever number you come up with might be the number who weren't granted the blessing of heaven.

So you see, not only was there a wall built around heaven, God had angels guarding each of the gates. So yes, he did build a wall, and yes he even posted guards at the gates. So, are we to call John a liar? God set standards and commands which governed the entry process into heaven. Even if that meant denying any "poor or needy" person who did shameful or deceitful things, or whose names weren't written in the Lamb's book of life from entering heaven.

Which brings us to our immigration laws. Same concept. We have a border (pffft, border, hah!) and laws which govern entry into the country. If you've come here illegally, you don't belong here (anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful). If you aren't a naturalized citizen, you don't belong here (similar to not having your name written in the Lamb's book of life). So how are these things different?

Omnipotent my ass!

Lool, leave it to you to blow this out of context.

However, that little revelation I posted caused the OP's argument to completely collapse in on itself. As well as any rose colored perception of God and Christ that she and Luddly might of had.

Omnipotent my ass!

God damn right

Omnipotent my ass!

God damn right

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Last edited:
Playing the Jesus card took away from the main point of your thread. Which, I might add, didn't link to any meaningful statistics about rapes in Sweden in correlation to the amount of Muslim immigrants entering the country.

You're in the wrong thread with this - I posted that in another thread. I didn't bring Jesus bridge meme into this thread, you did. I think you meant your reply for that other thread? :dunno:

the actual rate of sex crimes has been more or less unchanged in Sweden between 2005 and 2014, despite the fact that immigration has increased during the same time period.

True, but while the rate of sex crimes hasn't changed despite the rise in immigration, the rise in Muslim immigrants may effect who carries out those sex crimes. The rate doesn't have to change, but the demographics of the people who commit those sex crimes can.

So, are you saying that imported rapists are pushing out native rapists?

Omnipotent my ass!

However, that little revelation I posted caused the OP's argument to completely collapse in on itself. As well as any rose colored perception of God and Christ that she and Luddly might of had.

You're "revelation" doesn't appear to have anything to do with the OP.....

You're in the wrong thread with this - I posted that in another thread. I didn't bring Jesus bridge meme into this thread, you did. I think you meant your reply for that other thread? :dunno:

No I'm not. That link at the top of your thread linked to an image, not a to any article pertaining to how anti-immigrant activists misuse rape statistics. I don't think you realize the mistake you made. Since this board has a function which copy pastes not only words but those with embedded links within them, I copy and pasted this. In my browser, it opened a new tab showing the picture below. It didn't link to any article, just an image:

(Title) How Anti-Immigration Activists Misuse Rape Statistics =>

(Embedded link) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6f/5e/cc/6f5ecc76e208b3a1ae445ecb06d512b7.jpg

(Result when hotlink is clicked)
6f5ecc76e208b3a1ae445ecb06d512b7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back