Death Penalty

First of all, you're wrong: Japan and South korea, to name only those two still have the death penalty.

Secondly, this is NOT an eye for an eye punishment, but apparently you have no real arguments.

You are correct in that Japan still has a death penalty. Lets look at what other nations are aligned with the US in allowing the death penalty

The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Read more: The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

You will notice that the majority of countries in that list are riddled with violence.

Sounds like a very good reason to have the death penalty.

I'm against the death penalty for one reason and one reason only, it costs more than life in prison. I think we should save the taxpayer money whenever possible.

That is simply not true. The calculations made to prove that do not take into account the cost of guarding and feeding and taking care of someone for 60 or 70 years.

I'm against the death penalty for one reason and one reason only, it costs more than life in prison. I think we should save the taxpayer money whenever possible.

The pro death penalty rabble will claim its cheaper to kill them.

It is, but that is not an important argument.

It shows your lack of intellectual honesty that you refer to other people as rabble. Clearly you are too stupid to engage in real debate.

So are you against the Death Penalty for the piece of shit "Joker" in Colorado?

I'd like to get your explanation if so...

Easy...the death penalty is TOO MERCIFUL.

LWOP in a very small cell for the rest of his life is a much more fitting punishment.

No books, no radio, no TV, no visitors, no conversations with guards, no nuttin!

Let this man live the rest of his miserable life completely ALONE IN A CELL with PLENTY of time to think about WHY he is now in living HELL.

Liberals won't permit it. It's unconstitutional. Today, libs have lawsuits going to keeping someone in solitary confinement for more than a few hours is cruel and unusual punishment.

The pro death penalty rabble will claim its cheaper to kill them.

It's not though, I read the study. Due to so many retrials and appeals, it is actually cheaper to give them life in prison. With life in prison you don't get as many appeals.

Actually, if I had my way, we'd just had the murderers over to the families of the victims and let them take care of it.

Take into account the costs of prison buildings and maintenance, prison guards, medical care, and extra procedures for 70 years or longer and then try and do the math.

You are correct in that Japan still has a death penalty. Lets look at what other nations are aligned with the US in allowing the death penalty

The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Ethiopia
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Taiwan
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zimbabwe

Read more: The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com The Death Penalty Worldwide — Infoplease.com

You will notice that the majority of countries in that list are riddled with violence.

And yet, those countries without a death penalty have lower murder rates. Death penalty is not working

And yet, those countries without a death penalty have lower murder rates. Death penalty is not working

Could it be that higher murder rates are the reason to have the death penalty? Logical reasoning isn't really your strong suit, is it?

Could it be that higher murder rates are the reason to have the death penalty? Logical reasoning isn't really your strong suit, is it?

The logic is that if there is no death penalty, murderers will be less likely to murder. If we tell killers that their lives are so valuable that the state won't end those lives, then the killers will also find individual lives equally as valuable and stop killing their victims.

I know it makes no sense, but that's the way liberals feel.

The logic is that if there is no death penalty, murderers will be less likely to murder. If we tell killers that their lives are so valuable that the state won't end those lives, then the killers will also find individual lives equally as valuable and stop killing their victims.

I know it makes no sense, but that's the way liberals feel.

I prefer rational thinking to inform public policy, rather than "feelings".

I don't see the value of the death penalty as a deterrent. It's a PUNISHMENT. It's a CONSEQUENCE for a negative action that ended an innocent person's life.

As such I have no problem with it in theory. I believe in consequences. I think people have to be responsible for their actions, and pay for their mistakes.

But I won't vote for the death penalty, or support it. I can't reconcile it with my Christian beliefs. I don't feel I should support something that could potentially prevent a person from achieving salvation and the grace of God.

I don't see the value of the death penalty as a deterrent. It's a PUNISHMENT. It's a CONSEQUENCE for a negative action that ended an innocent person's life.

As such I have no problem with it in theory. I believe in consequences. I think people have to be responsible for their actions, and pay for their mistakes.

But I won't vote for the death penalty, or support it. I can't reconcile it with my Christian beliefs. I don't feel I should support something that could potentially prevent a person from achieving salvation and the grace of God.

I respect your religious convictions but I can't agree with your absolutism. The logic of your position is that you wouldn't have supported executing the camp commander of Auschwitz either.

No man can judge on a person's salvation in the place of God. But society does have the right to judge people for their offenses here on Earth.

Per-Capita-Execution-Map.jpg

Another reason to call them RED States

Is there a particular benefit from not having the death penalty? No. It keeps criminals alive. In states that have the death penalty, the inmate has a much greater chance of dying on death row of old age than actually being put to death.

On the other hand, where the death penalty is not available, Richard Speck got big tits and Charlie Manson gets to update his website.

It just makes us look like barbarians to the rest of the world

If the death penalty is such a deterrent, why do we have such a high murder rate compared to other countries without a death penalty?

Again, it's not about deterrence.

I'm sorry you feel that the Nuremberg trials were an example of barbarity.

The Nuremburg trials were the winners punishing the losers.

Otherwise, Admiral Nimitz should have been in the dock right next to Admiral Doenitz.

No, they really weren't.

But you're a progressive. We can't expect sanity from you on the finer points of why Nazism and why it was bad.

It just makes us look like barbarians to the rest of the world

If the death penalty is such a deterrent, why do we have such a high murder rate compared to other countries without a death penalty?

Again, it's not about deterrence.

I'm sorry you feel that the Nuremberg trials were an example of barbarity.

The Nuremburg trials were the winners punishing the losers.

Otherwise, Admiral Nimitz should have been in the dock right next to Admiral Doenitz.

I agree serious debate is possible about whether or nor Raeder and Dönitz belonged in the dock at Nuremberg. That being said, neither of them was sentenced to death. the ones who were hanged at Nuremberg most definitely deserved it.

Forum List

Back