Damn work trucks...

Work truck? If you can work you can change an oil pan gasket for 20 bucks including oil. If you lived in the area for more than a freaking year you gotta know a garage guy who can do the job for you for a six pack and a $50.

Where are you gonna get 3 gallons of good motor oil and a filter for $20.00 ? That' not even counting the gasket and the big bag of cat litter to soak up the oil that spills on the driveway. 04 Ram 2500 diesel. Costs $85 bucks just to have the oil changed

Work truck? If you can work you can change an oil pan gasket for 20 bucks including oil. If you lived in the area for more than a freaking year you gotta know a garage guy who can do the job for you for a six pack and a $50.

Where are you gonna get 3 gallons of good motor oil and a filter for $20.00 ? That' not even counting the gasket and the big bag of cat litter to soak up the oil that spills on the driveway. 04 Ram 2500 diesel. Costs $85 bucks just to have the oil changed
"Good motor oil on a work truck"? You don't really a new oil filter on a work truck and Walmart will get you at least a gallon of oil for 8 bucks and presto, you are on the road until your next payday.

"Good motor oil on a work truck"? You don't really a new oil filter on a work truck and Walmart will get you at least a gallon of oil for 8 bucks and presto, you are on the road until your next payday.
Of course good oil in a work truck. 337,000 miles, and it still runs smooth, doesn't smoke, doesn't use more than a quart or so between changes, and has more power than I ever need. The body and interior are beat up as hell, but proper oil and grease will keep it on the road until I wash the last little bit of rust out of the driveway with a garden hose.

In Va., certain "work trucks" designated as "farm vehicles" are legal to operate on state roads (not the interstate} without inspection or registration. It seems like a good system.

In Va., certain "work trucks" designated as "farm vehicles" are legal to operate on state roads (not the interstate} without inspection or registration. It seems like a good system.

Makes sense, but it's always been cheaper for me to do occasional maintenence instead of just watching it wear out when I don't have to. Bank payments are always much higher than the cost of a few gallons of oil and a little grease every once in a while.

My oil pan just started leaking and it's pretty bad.
Thing is my truck won't fit in my garage and it's like 20 fucking degrees outside. Mechanic wants 400 bucks for a 1 hour repair. Now I gotta drive all the damn way to a buddy's garage in Kansas tomorrow. He builds racecars and has a heated shop.
Blown Friday!

You didn't mention the brand....

Recently had three folks I know with leaking oil pans on Chevrolet vehicles from around 2008-2009. One changed the gasket but the leaks continued. Another went to a trusted local shop and was told there was a problem with the pans on certain engines becoming porous. New pan was outrageously priced so he got a pan from a wrecked earlier vehicle that fit and the problems went away. One of the others is planning to trade it in so won't do more. The other has bought a used earlier pan and is waiting for a little warmer weather. Only thing she was willing to right now was check the fasteners on the existing pan and wipe down the gasket. None were loose and she says there was no sign of leakage from the gasket.

Please let us know what happens. The used pans weren't expensive and the labor is pretty much exactly the same as just changing the gasket.

Uh huh. I'm in VA right now and got passed by an old dually today that had "farm truck" on the license plate and nothing else, on I81 north.

Forum List

Back