Damn work trucks...

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
My oil pan just started leaking and it's pretty bad.
Thing is my truck won't fit in my garage and it's like 20 fucking degrees outside. Mechanic wants 400 bucks for a 1 hour repair. Now I gotta drive all the damn way to a buddy's garage in Kansas tomorrow. He builds racecars and has a heated shop.
Blown Friday!

Thing is my truck won't fit in my garage and it's like 20 fucking degrees outside. Mechanic wants 400 bucks for a 1 hour repair. Now I gotta drive all the damn way to a buddy's garage in Kansas tomorrow. He builds racecars and has a heated shop.
Blown Friday!
That sucks. Changed a water pump on a Mustang in 20 degrees. Sucked really bad. Bad Gasket or did you knock a hole in it?

• Banned
Blown Friday!
That sucks. Changed a water pump on a Mustang in 20 degrees. Sucked really bad. Bad Gasket or did you knock a hole in it?
I think one of the rivets came out.

Worst job I did in the cold was ball joints on a 2002 dodge. Also riveted/pressed in. Was about 10 degrees out and I thought no biggie, I've done this many times..... except I had never encountered riveted ball joints. Spent hours in the freezing cold drilling them out from a small drill bit to large.

NEVER AGAIN

Blown Friday!

Worst job I did in the cold was ball joints on a 2002 dodge. Also riveted/pressed in. Was about 10 degrees out and I thought no biggie, I've done this many times..... except I had never encountered riveted ball joints. Spent hours in the freezing cold drilling them out from a small drill bit to large.

NEVER AGAIN

On riveted ball joints, don't drill them out. Grind the head off with a grinder and then knock them out with a hammer and punch.

• Banned
Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

On riveted ball joints, don't drill them out. Grind the head off with a grinder and then knock them out with a hammer and punch.
I tried that. Perhaps the sub zero Temps were a problem idk but it didn't work. After grinding them off I had to drill them out after 10 minutes of pounding with a punch

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

I tried that. Perhaps the sub zero Temps were a problem idk but it didn't work. After grinding them off I had to drill them out after 10 minutes of pounding with a punch

Sometimes nothing else works, and you have to do that, but I would have at least tried to heat around the holes a little with a propane torch to see if the expansion might help, but like I said, sometimes the easier ways just don't work.

• Banned
Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Sometimes nothing else works, and you have to do that, but I would have at least tried to heat around the holes a little with a propane torch to see if the expansion might help, but like I said, sometimes the easier ways just don't work.
I never thought of that but you're right lol. I just remember it was like 8 degrees outside and I was pissed that I committed myself lol.

The "genius" builder who built my house decided to run the central air ducts through the main path of the garage openers so if I need the door all the way up I have to take the panels apart . It works for my kids cars but not my truck.

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

I never thought of that but you're right lol. I just remember it was like 8 degrees outside and I was pissed that I committed myself lol.

The "genius" builder who built my house decided to run the central air ducts through the main path of the garage openers so if I need the door all the way up I have to take the panels apart . It works for my kids cars but not my truck.

The worst I ever had to do was change out my torqueflight8 transmission - alone - on a rock driveway - in 28 degree weather - about three weeks after my first bypass surgery. I've worked in colder weather, but that sucked more than anything else I can remember.

• Banned
Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

The worst I ever had to do was change out my torqueflight8 transmission - alone - on a rock driveway - in 28 degree weather - about three weeks after my first bypass surgery. I've worked in colder weather, but that sucked more than anything else I can remember.
I can imagine. A rock driveway? FUCK THAT.

The hardest job I've done was a heater core. So many bolts and screws. But thankfully it was warm. The trickiest job I did was a spindle on my camero when I was a teenager. No youtube guidance, no experience. Just "this bolt went there" lol

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Sounds like me changing out the wheel bearing on my first car, 63 Galaxy. I didn't even know wheels had bearings, but my back wheel was bumping, and I knew it had to be fixed.

I'm lucky I have new cars or SUV now. I don't have mechanics problems anymore. Which sound to me normal in this world; with old cars; that are rampant.

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Sounds like me changing out the wheel bearing on my first car, 63 Galaxy. I didn't even know wheels had bearings, but my back wheel was bumping, and I knew it had to be fixed.
63 galaxy. A BEAST of a car lol. My 3rd foster home my older brother had one. But it was pimped out. Incredible car

I'm lucky I have new cars or SUV now. I don't have mechanics problems anymore. Which sound to me normal in this world; with old cars; that are rampant.
I hear ya. My last new truck was in 2008 then the economy crashed. I'm self employed and when regular people hurt I hurt. No more new trucks since then.

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

63 galaxy. A BEAST of a car lol. My 3rd foster home my older brother had one. But it was pimped out. Incredible car

Great car, and I had it at the right time in my life. Cost me $150 then, but I wish I could afford one in that good condition now.

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Great car, and I had it at the right time in my life. Cost me $150 then, but I wish I could afford one in that good condition now.
Right now I want a 77 cutlass Supreme brohme or 77 Monte Carlo with t tops

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Had a 75 Monte Carlo. First new car I ever bought. Tan with tan interior. I even bought a tan leisure suit to match. That didn't seem so goofy back then.

Blown Friday!
Not looking forward to doing front struts on my Jeep. The quote comes in at five hours labor, damn expensive, so I will do it myself. Looks simple enough, just fighting the rust and axle bolt looks like the tough part. Luckily, I have a second garage that is insulated, just have to run a torpedo heater for awhile, and gets nice and warm. Still haven't run a gas line out there yet.

Worst repair is twice now, removing half the dash to replace broken cheap plastic blend door gear for actuators that run climate control. First passenger side then drivers side. Would blow blaring hot air on one side when running AC. Dumb design.

Blown Friday!

NEVER AGAIN

Had a 75 Monte Carlo. First new car I ever bought. Tan with tan interior. I even bought a tan leisure suit to match. That didn't seem so goofy back then.
I had a 77 Monte & cutlass at the same time. Granted my grandmother paid for them but omg I had so much fun. The Monte had t tops and was fast as fuck but the cutlass was the pimp mobile lol.

So much fun. I'll look and see if I still have any pics. If I do I'll post

Work truck? If you can work you can change an oil pan gasket for 20 bucks including oil. If you lived in the area for more than a freaking year you gotta know a garage guy who can do the job for you for a six pack and a $50.

Forum List

Back