D-Day

I was born on D-Day at Camp Blanding, just west of Jacksonville. My Ol' Man was a DI and taught mechanics. A few weeks after I was born, he was transferred to a post in New England for training. A couple months later he was on a ship to France where he was attached to the 3rd Army, 90th Division, General Patton's command.

That was the army that disengaged from one battle and then moved to the Battle of the Bulge where they engaged the Nazis surrounding Bastogne. He received two promotions on the front lines, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and Purple Heart.

2018-05-22_4-41-34%20smallest-X2.jpg

The location was torn out by the censors. His location in Germany.

9%20Jan%201945%20Rest%20Camp-X2.jpg

This letter was returned to her after bouncing around for a couple of months.
IMG%200001%20Censored-X3.jpg

None of my Mom's letters had reached him in months nor did anything get to her from him until this arrived.
IMG_0003%20Censored-X2.jpg

The next thing Mom received was this but she didn't know where he was located.
23%20Apr%201945%20Postcard%20Edited-X3.jpg

He never spoke about anything concerning the war. I didn't know about these letters until years later when my Mom passed away. His hands were "repaired" and he worked the rest of his life as a mechanic.

He was an SOB, but he never laid a hand on my Mom in anger. Mom lived with me for about ten years after he passed, I once asked why she stayed with him. She said he wasn't the same man that went overseas and, he needed her. Which he did and I guess that's true love.

I was born on D-Day at Camp Blanding, just west of Jacksonville. My Ol' Man was a DI and taught mechanics. A few weeks after I was born, he was transferred to a post in New England for training. A couple months later he was on a ship to France where he was attached to the 3rd Army, 90th Division, General Patton's command.

That was the army that disengaged from one battle and then moved to the Battle of the Bulge where they engaged the Nazis surrounding Bastogne. He received two promotions on the front lines, two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and Purple Heart.

None of my Mom's letters had reached him in months nor did anything get to her from him until this arrived.

He never spoke about anything concerning the war. I didn't know about these letters until years later when my Mom passed away. His hands were "repaired" and he worked the rest of his life as a mechanic.

He was an SOB, but he never laid a hand on my Mom in anger. Mom lived with me for about ten years after he passed, I once asked why she stayed with him. She said he wasn't the same man that went overseas and, he needed her. Which he did and I guess that's true love.

Wow wow WOW !!!

That is breathtaking to see these letters, thank you so much for sharing this !

Wow wow WOW !!!

That is breathtaking to see these letters, thank you so much for sharing this !

I have about 100 letters. In none does he mention what they are doing or anything about the battles. That would have been censored. After reading them and watching a number of documentaries about the war in Europe, I can't imagine the horrors he saw and things he did. I just never knew while he was alive.

Forum List

Back