Cutting the cord.

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
No not the imbecile cord but cable TV. It's up to $95 a month for less than 100 channels and most suk.

How did you do it, what service? Roku? Hulu?

I had Netflix before, cancelled it (run obama stuff was enough for me)

I have prime and it's good but not a do all.

Leaning to Roku but like to hear some experiences and what you like.

No not the imbecile cord but cable TV. It's up to $95 a month for less than 100 channels and most suk.

We've had no cable for five years and we don't miss it. I get all the news I need from the Internet.

Satellite receivers, Dish and Direct TV are reasonable and offer great service. If you live in the city though I guess you are shit outa luck.

Great post. I keep hearing about Amazon Firestick making cable obsolete. Would like to hear from someone who has one...

Bluz, sounds good. I don't usually watch news. Few shows I enjoy. The ghost/paranormal things, Ghost Hunters, Ghost loop etc. Moonshiners, Swamp people. Josh and explorer. just a few. Oh street outlaws, Kount kustom car stuff.

Satellite receivers, Dish and Direct TV are reasonable and offer great service. If you live in the city though I guess you are shit outa luck.

Not in the city at all. Very farm country. I had dish or direct in Maine, weather really affected it bad. Probably OK here, hard rains but not like the 8 months of 6-8 inches an hour snow like Maine, Could get my internet from them too I guess.

i never had cable. we have a digital tuner & rooftop antennae. i live in CT & get stations in as far as NYC & boston. i also have a roku & like it very much. hulu, is available on a roku, youtube, as well. & there are apps for regular network stations as well as FOX.

Great post. I keep hearing about Amazon Firestick making cable obsolete. Would like to hear from someone who has one...

I have had the firestick several years now. Works pretty good. Lots of stuff to watch but some you gotta pay, rent, join or whatever. I got it because I have PRIME (bout $120 a year) which is free shipping from amazon and it pays itself in no time. Then I saw firestick, pay about $100 one shot for the stick and long as one has prime, all is good.

If you have a Roku device you can stream your cable companies programming...you can keep cable without using their equipment...that will save an average of $8 per cable box and if you have a DVR box that will save $8 plus $12 for the DVR service....if you have four TV's like I do that comes to about a $40 per month savings Also Samsung did something really smart with their new smart TV's...they signed an agreement with Spectrum and Cox cable to have a streaming service for those companies programming service so you wouldn't even need Roku...but if you cut all ties to cable be aware that your remote will not have the same features your cable company remotes have...in other words say good buy to channel surfing...

i never had cable. we have a digital tuner & rooftop antennae. i live in CT & get stations in as far as NYC & boston. i also have a roku & like it very much. hulu, is available on a roku, youtube, as well. & there are apps for regular network stations as well as FOX.

I was born in CT 54 left for Nam 73. Born the sub base, raised Waterford.

Rooftop antennae that good? I had wondered or does the tuner make the difference. I'm very rural, 60 mi to Bowling Green and some units won't do 60 mi, I dunno but open to options for sure.

Also a General class Ham operator, can get some awesome skip!

I was born in CT 54 left for Nam 73. Born the sub base, raised Waterford.

Rooftop antennae that good? I had wondered or does the tuner make the difference. I'm very rural, 60 mi to Bowling Green and some units won't do 60 mi, I dunno but open to options for sure.

Also a General class Ham operator, can get some awesome skip!

we live in a rural wooded town & the antennae needs digital nowadays anyway, but ya it works very well. the one we have is totally enclosed to protect from the weather & the remote can spin it to where it can get the best signal.

If you have a Roku device you can stream your cable companies programming...you can keep cable without using their equipment...that will save an average of $8 per cable box and if you have a DVR box that will save $8 plus $12 for the DVR service....if you have four TV's like I do that comes to about a $40 per month savings Also Samsung did something really smart with their new smart TV's...they signed an agreement with Spectrum and Cox cable to have a streaming service for those companies programming service so you wouldn't even need Roku...but if you cut all ties to cable be aware that your remote will not have the same features your cable company remotes have...in other words say good buy to channel surfing...

Wow Ram, good news! Just 2 TV's here. I can sign up for a 3 week free trial Roku right off Prime. Gonna try it. Thanks.

we live in a rural wooded town & the antennae needs digital nowadays anyway, but ya it works very well. the one we have is totally enclosed to protect from the weather & the remote can spin it to where it can get the best signal.

Thanks, damn didn't have a clue about the tuners and ant. Pretty cool, why such a hidden tech. I'll go with a Roku free trial but tuner and ant is not out of the picture at all.

Oh I do read! Probably 2 good length books per week! Koontz right now, "the taken" "Bad place" couple days ago, koontz also.
They all suck now. Netflix used to be great, now it’s subpar. Prime is the same. Read 3 books a week now.

Neflix was stream and dvd about $10 then I started, then near doubled. 3 books huh! Wanna trade boxes of books? Media mail not so bad.

Wow Ram, good news! Just 2 TV's here. I can sign up for a 3 week free trial Roku right off Prime. Gonna try it. Thanks.
Keep in mind what I do...I have kept my cable service but I got rid of their equipment to cut my bill in half...but I still get a cable bill each month but its like $60 instead of $130 for example....one day I will cut out spectrum cable completely and stream only what I want...I have Netflix and Disney plus as well...

I cut the cord two months ago- I watch one movie a night on Prime- soon as The World of Outlaws sprint cars get going good (13 and 14th of next month) I'll stream all the races that aren't rained out- the only thing I miss with cable is the local Fox News who have a cute little reporter I always enjoyed seeing-
I tried an indoor antenna (I live in a bottom floor apt) and it didn't work worth a crap-
I did and still do read at least one book a week- that won't change no matter how much TV I watch or don't watch.

Forum List

Back