Crystal Lake: Halloween Tradition [Archangel Comics]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a Halloween patriot-tale I wanted to post on USMB in honor of this Halloween season.

Why is it that we Americans seem completely fascinated by tales of the macabre, pedestrian goosebumps, and general campfire popcorn?

Does it have something to do with Crystal Lake?

This is a Halloween presentation, which is why I didn't post it in the Writing section. After all, Halloween is storytelling for everyday life!

Signing off,

crystal1.jpg

====

"My name is Tom Cruise. You all know me as the celebrated Hollywood (USA) movie 'super-star' with an interest in various topics appealing to American society and history. I've made movies about patriotism, technology, war, espionage, romance...you name it. However, today, I'm here to talk to you about the eerie tradition of Halloween (the annual Gaelic Samhain derived festival of masquerade which falls in America every October) as it pertains to the cryptic mythology of Crystal Lake. I'll also explain why Crystal Lake has been linked to Scientology (the religion I practice) and a secret paramilitary team of democracy-defenders known as 'G.I. Joes.'

It all started one summer at Camp Crystal Lake, located by the lake of the same name, in the folklore-filled forests of the Pine Barrens in New Jersey (USA). That summer (in the 1960s), a young boy named Lev was swimming unattended by neglectful camp counselors who were 'busy' having fun. Lev was a poor swimmer, so swimming unattended was truly dangerous, and he tragically drowned. The camp closed down due to the publicized tragedy and ten years later in 1979, it reopened. In the summer of '79, a series of grisly murders occurred at the reopened Camp Crystal Lake, and it was discovered that the hooded serial-killer (who wielded a deadly machete) was Lev's mother, Christie Voorhees.

Christie was beheaded by her own machete by a surviving camp counselor, Jane, who discovered that it was Lev's mother who was doing the killings, as an act of vengeance because of the unrighteous drowning of her dear son. Apparently, Jane told her nurse that before she killed Christie (to survive!), Christie explained that Lev was given the 'demonic-alias' Jason (in reference to the Greek hero who quested for the Golden Fleece), so that the spirit of Lev would be canonized/immortalized as a 'yearning soul' seeking the special 'magic' of a precious item of great luster, a yearning 'gained' from his tragic drowning. Jane told her nurse that Lev would someday return to Crystal Lake as a serial-killer named Jason (Voorhees).

Well, my friends, as some of you may know, Lev's story has been already canonized by the Friday the 13th horror-film franchise, which features the story of a zombie-like hockey-mask wearing serial-killer named Jason Voorhees who terrorizes campers near Crystal Lake as retribution for his own tragic drowning and the death of his mother. The Friday the 13th films have made Jason Voorhees a household-name in horror-cinema in America. However, few know that the films were inspired by the true story of Lev/Christie and the folkloric haunting of Crystal Lake by Lev's eerie resurrected spirit as 'Jason.' In fact, camp counselors at Crystal Lake still claim that the Pine Barrens are 'shadowed' by the 'aura' of the Friday the 13th films...especially during Halloween.

I'm here to explain why I'm investing in a new line of mythology-oriented comic book stories with my comic book writer/artist friend William Gibson. Our enterprise is called Archangel Comics, and we intend to firstly create a series of 'modern folk-tales' about Camp Crystal Lake and the haunting stories of the spirit of Lev/Jason lurking there and spooking campers/counselors. There have been reports of disappearances and deaths in the Pine Barrens, and a number of Crystal Lake camp-counselors believe it's Jason who is to blame, not some of the other cryptic folkloric creatures/entities said to be haunting the Pine Barrens, including the deformed/enigmatic Jersey Devil. Archangel Comics is a 'feather' for my overall socio-cultural interests in Scientology, since these Jason stories will highlight a passion for 'empirical Occultism.'

As I told you, the secret paramilitary team of democracy-defending soldiers/crusaders known as 'G.I. Joes' are also wed to Crystal Lake folklore. The G.I. Joes are assigned to 'secure' the Pine Barrens every Halloween season, especially during Devil's Night (the customary night of annual mischief which falls right before Halloween Eve). Every Devil's Night, the G.I. Joes patrol the Pine Barrens, making sure that there's no real crime threatening the otherwise overall harmless mischievous pranks performed by fun-seeking costumed kids/teenagers. The G.I. Joes want to ensure that homeland sanity 'sanitizing' Devil's Night in the Pine Barrens (by Crystal Lake) will send the message that Americans despise terrorism since we're devoted to pedestrian sanctuaries at least on the American mainland.

However, I also wanted to tell you about something else. One night, in the Pine Barrens, my celebrity-pal Tom Hanks, star of equally-popular Hollywood (USA) films about a wide array of themes/subjects, and I were camping and playing our ukuleles and thinking about Jason Voorhees near Crystal Lake. That's when we thought we heard footsteps near our campfire. We used our flashlights and carried our mace and cell-phones as we patrolled the area near our campsite in search of the sound of the footsteps. Just when we thought everything was fine, we saw the 'visage' of a large man, in some kind of sack-mask, holding a machete. We called out to him and asked him if he was a forest-ranger, and he nodded before disappearing...like a ghost.

To this day, Hanks and I wonder who we actually saw that night near Crystal Lake. Was it simply a forest-ranger as we assumed and just as the mysterious man we saw nodding claiming that we were correct? Hanks and I believe it may have been the spectre of Jason Voorhees himself. That's why we never return to the Pine Barrens now without proper security and guards and defenses. I still talk about Scientology and its relevance to Archangel Comics projects and Crystal Lake Halloween folklore, especially since the 'mystique' of Crystal Lake has become synonymous with the allure of Occult fanfare. However, is it possible that Halloween reminds us of Jason Voorhees because Americans are fascinated by the completely unusual? You decide..."

====

crystal2.jpg

Forum List

Back