CDZ Critics Slam Movie 'Midway' Because it is Embarrassing to be Reminded of How Good We Once Were

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no evidence of intelligence in candyland:

Critics Consensus

Midway revisits a well-known story with modern special effects and a more balanced point of view, but its screenplay isn't quite ready for battle.

41%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 96
91%
Audience Score
Verified Ratings: 1,988
Critics slammed the movie because it did not divert into a silly love story or false drama

The movie provided an accurate depiction of the early war in the pacific

Only thing I can say is ANY movie that shows the military in a good light is always slammed by critics. Always. Take American Sniper, the movie was excellent. And there you can see several critics line up and blast it for "propaganda" another doesn't like "pro-Americanism" etc.
And they just hate Eastwood so there is that

The critics awarded it an OSCAR; among other awards...

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

An Oscar for best sound editing! Be still my beating heart!

You just cannot pass up a chance to make yourself look stupid, can you?

It won several awards and was not universally panned by critics or the film community. You seem to be taking the opportunity yourself there, marion.

Gee, here is what Saving Private Ryan won…

View attachment 289274

Its a war movie about the American Military….

Best Director.

The Golden Globe….which is the award given by the press itself…awarded multiple awards to the movie and production team.

That film was made 20 years ago, before liberals went totally insane.

The only thing sad is this idiotic thread premise – a premise that is a lie, as ridiculous as it is wrong.

Right you are.

If you are an extremist and focus on the opinions from the other extreme … shock of shocks, you end up reading opinions you disagree with.

I think the OP has a valid point in the narrow examination of the question about why some critics focus on the “backstory” and not the movie itself. Beyond that…not much thought there.

Critics slammed the movie because it did not divert into a silly love story or false drama

Only thing I can say is ANY movie that shows the military in a good light is always slammed by critics. Always. Take American Sniper, the movie was excellent. And there you can see several critics line up and blast it for "propaganda" another doesn't like "pro-Americanism" etc.

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

It won several awards and was not universally panned by critics or the film community. You seem to be taking the opportunity yourself there, marion.

View attachment 289274

Best Director.

The Golden Globe….which is the award given by the press itself…awarded multiple awards to the movie and production team.

Zero Dark Thirty?
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 9.00.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 9.01.50 AM.png

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

View attachment 289274

Best Director.

Zero Dark Thirty?
View attachment 289287

View attachment 289288

Not a war movie. Only the last half hour has any military connection. The first 2 hours is a spy thriller.

Even disregarding that, it won for best sound editing! Are we seeing a pattern here?

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

View attachment 289274

Best Director.

Zero Dark Thirty?
View attachment 289287

View attachment 289288

Not a war movie. Only the last half hour has any military connection. The first 2 hours is a spy thriller.

Even disregarding that, it won for best sound editing! Are we seeing a pattern here?

Oh brother.

it was nominated for multiple OSCARs, highlighted the CIA and Special Forces. Won an OSCAR and a Golden Globe.

View attachment 289274

Best Director.

Zero Dark Thirty?
View attachment 289287

View attachment 289288

Oh brother.

it was nominated for multiple OSCARs, highlighted the CIA and Special Forces. Won an OSCAR and a Golden Globe.

The only Special Forces in that movie were the helicopter pilots. How much screen time did they get?

Again, the Oscar was for Best Sound Editing. Whoopee!

Midway was the turning point of the war in the Pacific.

Before the Battle of Midway the Japanese forces were always advancing.

After the Battle of Midway they never stopped retreating. ... :cool:
It's arguable that they were no longer advancing after Guadalcanal.

Guadalcanal ended Japan's plan to invade Australia, but it was Doolittle's raid on Tokyo which started the chain of events leading to the Midway battle. The bombing of Tokyo caused Japanese war planners to extend a protective shield far out into the Pacific. Midway Island was to be established as the jumping off point for an invasion of Hawaii. Fortunately, our code breakers found this out in advance and we were able to take the necessary counter measures.

The biggest heroes in the Battle of Midway were the American torpedo bombers who flew into near certain death while tying up the Japanese fighters, thus allowing our dive bombers a clear shot at their carriers.

Still no evidence of the supposed bad reviews

Critics Consensus

Midway revisits a well-known story with modern special effects and a more balanced point of view, but its screenplay isn't quite ready for battle.

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

Except of course....
Private Ryan
Dunkirk
The Big Red One
The Cold Blue

and dozens of others....

Midway was the turning point of the war in the Pacific.

Before the Battle of Midway the Japanese forces were always advancing.

After the Battle of Midway they never stopped retreating. ... :cool:
It's arguable that they were no longer advancing after Guadalcanal.

Guadalcanal ended Japan's plan to invade Australia, but it was Doolittle's raid on Tokyo which started the chain of events leading to the Midway battle. The bombing of Tokyo caused Japanese war planners to extend a protective shield far out into the Pacific. Midway Island was to be established as the jumping off point for an invasion of Hawaii. Fortunately, our code breakers found this out in advance and we were able to take the necessary counter measures.

The biggest heroes in the Battle of Midway were the American torpedo bombers who flew into near certain death while tying up the Japanese fighters, thus allowing our dive bombers a clear shot at their carriers.

Yeah- that is just tragic reading about that- purely accidental in many ways, but there was a lot of Midway that really came down to the fortunes of war- who found who when.
And of course Japan's overly complicated plan. The diversionary force to the Aleutians was a waste of resources that could have helped Japan at Midway.

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

I was saying read what a number of the critics said. I said look at any movie thta puts American military in a good light and you will see critics slamming it with phrases like "propaganda"... "pro-Americanism" etc.
Go ahead.
Show us an example.

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

View attachment 289274

Best Director.

Says the angry old man-- "Back in my day......"

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

Yeah- they just hate Eastwood......lol.....do you folks even go to movies?

upload_2019-11-11_9-54-8.png

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

Yeah- they just hate Eastwood......lol.....do you folks even go to movies?

View attachment 289307
Love Clint Eastwood movies, starring or directing.

I have not see the movie and seldom read the ratings of the movie I want to see, but I did not think we had become this wimpy when the rating warned you that there was smoking scenes in the movie! This is the rating from Rotten Tomatoes
Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of war violence and related images, language and smoking)
How far we have fallen

I have not see the movie and seldom read the ratings of the movie I want to see, but I did not think we had become this wimpy when the rating warned you that there was smoking scenes in the movie! This is the rating from Rotten Tomatoes
Rating:
How far we have fallen
Snow Flakes have to be warned since Mommy is not around to cut their banana's for them any more.

Rating:
How far we have fallen

Yep- those warnings.......clearly an indication of how corrupt the U.S. has become......lol

Rating:
How far we have fallen
Snow Flakes have to be warned since Mommy is not around to cut their banana's for them any more.

Snowflakes start whole threads about how mean critics are to war movies......

I mean really- how petty have Cons gotten?

There have been lots of movies that I have disagreed with the critics(Knight and Day, Hobbs and Shaw come to mind), I have never started a whole thread to blame all critics- and weirdly enough- a decorated war veteran on Veterans Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back