CDZ Critics Slam Movie 'Midway' Because it is Embarrassing to be Reminded of How Good We Once Were

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's arguable that they were no longer advancing after Guadalcanal.
Guadalcanal set the tone for what we could expect in future island invasions from the fanatical soldiers of the Imperial army.

But the battle of Midway severely crippled the Japanese navy as a fighting force and sealed the fate of Japan. ... :cool:

Agreed- and this was supposed to be a Japanese trap to destroy the American carrier forces- didn't work as planned.

Agreed- and this was supposed to be a Japanese trap to destroy the American carrier forces- didn't work as planned.
Japanese battle plans were usually over complicated and dependent on everything going perfect and on time. The concept of a "plan B" wasn't even considered.

Which helps explain what happen to them at Midway when things started getting fouled up.The Japanese command wasn't able to coordinate an effective response against the American attacks, which resulted in Japan's greatest naval disaster of the war. ... :cool:

Still no evidence of the supposed bad reviews

Still no evidence of intelligence in candyland:

Critics Consensus

Midway revisits a well-known story with modern special effects and a more balanced point of view, but its screenplay isn't quite ready for battle.

41%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 96
91%
Audience Score
Verified Ratings: 1,988

in no way does that support the OP.

I saw the movie 'Midway' last night and it was just as exciting as I thought it would be and more. I felt good seeing Americans pull together and fight for a common cause like we did back then, but alass, that America is no more.

Just one example, Admiral Nimitz. As portrayed in the movie, Nimitz was willing to buck common consensus and listen to people who were experts in their field but not part of the reigning Establishment. He fully empowered the code breakers and went with intercepted intell instead of what 'Washington thinks' and won the battle of Midway as a result.

Our Oligarchs have degenerated as a class of people from Nimitz down to John McStain. The Liberals used to castigate the man, but once he went Never Trump he became the press corps hero again.

So we went from being a people of action, driven by facts and theory to being just a gaggle of paid off crooks.

It is a sad thing to see in our country.

Wow- all of that and you can't even find an example of a critic actually doing what you claimed critics are criticizing the movie for- here is one real example:

The overabundance of CGI is one of the bigger problems with “Midway” because, far too often, it feels like you’re watching a video game or an F/X highlight reel. By virtue of the PG-13 rating, the carnage is largely bloodless, adding to the uneasy sense of fakery. Outside of an effective sequence involving a charred body, this is a virtually gore-free war movie. This is safe enough for a middle school history class screening.

The film’s toned down violence would be easier to ignore if its characters were compelling. The real-life players are embodied by a group of up-and-coming actors and a few veterans. For the latter team, we have Dennis Quaid, Aaron Eckhart and a startlingly white-haired Woody Harrelson. The gung-ho young pilots and servicemen are embodied by Ed Skrein, Darren Criss, and Nick Jonas. Everyone stalks around like a cliché from a 1940s studio system war movie minus the charisma and presence of the actors who originally held those roles. We never get close enough to any of them to feel genuine emotion. Perhaps

I haven't seen the movie yet- but plan to. But based upon your post- I think you are projecting your own attitudes onto people you don't even know. After I see the movie I will give my opinion- I love a good WW2 movie- but just because its a WW2 about a battle we won- doesn't automatically mean we have to like the movie like you seem to be saying.

And by the way- great going- attacking a dead American Veteran on Veterans day weekend- as you say 'alass, that America is no more- the America where we honor our veterans. The Right treats veterans now as disposable toys- as long as they march to your tune- you say 'thank you for your service'- and as soon as they disagree with you- you question everything from their patriotism to their bravery.

No wonder you prefer our draft dodging dishonerable President over John McCain
There was no great acting in the movie or compelling storytelling
Anyone with a passing knowledge of the Pacific War knew what was coming

I found the CGI to be very good at giving a representation of what those who were there experienced. If you want a wartime tear jerker, it is not for you. If you want an accurate depiction of the early Pacific War, it does a good job

Japanese battle plans were usually over complicated and dependent on everything going perfect and on time. The concept of a "plan B" wasn't even considered.

Which helps explain what happen to them at Midway when things started getting fouled up.The Japanese command wasn't able to coordinate an effective response against the American attacks, which resulted in Japan's greatest naval disaster of the war. ... :cool:

But you have to admit- they worked pretty damn well until Midway- Pearl Harbor was a success- and we were lucky that the Japanese didn't follow up better. The Phillipines, HK, Indonesia, Singapore.

Yamamoto knew well that Japan couldn't really win the war- and he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

I think the OP kind of misses the point.
Well actually I think the OP is projecting his own issues into the point.

A movie can be an accurate description of an event- and still be a boring movie. It can even have tons of action and still be a bad movie(I am looking at you Man of Steel!

A movie can be an accurate description of an event- and still be a boring movie. It can even have tons of action and still be a bad movie(I am looking at you Man of Steel!
I wouldn’t call Midway boring by any means
It did not contain much personal drama. Drama was related to the events that were unfolding.

I thought it treated the Japanese respectfully and presented their perspective on what was happening

Critics Consensus

Midway revisits a well-known story with modern special effects and a more balanced point of view, but its screenplay isn't quite ready for battle.

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score
Critics slammed the movie because it did not divert into a silly love story or false drama

The movie provided an accurate depiction of the early war in the pacific

Only thing I can say is ANY movie that shows the military in a good light is always slammed by critics. Always. Take American Sniper, the movie was excellent. And there you can see several critics line up and blast it for "propaganda" another doesn't like "pro-Americanism" etc.
And they just hate Eastwood so there is that

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score
Critics slammed the movie because it did not divert into a silly love story or false drama

Only thing I can say is ANY movie that shows the military in a good light is always slammed by critics. Always. Take American Sniper, the movie was excellent. And there you can see several critics line up and blast it for "propaganda" another doesn't like "pro-Americanism" etc.
Conservative propaganda

Only Conservatives love America

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

The critics awarded it an OSCAR; among other awards...

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.24.03 AM.png

You were saying?

Wait until he sees the most recent Terminator movie. Conservatives are going to blow a fuse…there is a Mexican in it!

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

I was saying read what a number of the critics said. I said look at any movie thta puts American military in a good light and you will see critics slamming it with phrases like "propaganda"... "pro-Americanism" etc.
Go ahead.

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

An Oscar for best sound editing! Be still my beating heart!

Last edited:

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

I was saying read what a number of the critics said. I said look at any movie thta puts American military in a good light and you will see critics slamming it with phrases like "propaganda"... "pro-Americanism" etc.
Go ahead.

Oh, you mean some people have a different opinion of yours and some people share a similar opinion. Wow…you’ve stumbled onto something there. LOL.

Critics Consensus

41%
TOMATOMETER
91%
Audience Score

View attachment 289266

You were saying?

An Oscar for best sound editing! Be still my beating heart!

You just cannot pass up a chance to make yourself look stupid, can you?

It won several awards and was not universally panned by critics or the film community. You seem to be taking the opportunity yourself there, marion.

Gee, here is what Saving Private Ryan won…

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.18.01 AM.png

Its a war movie about the American Military….

Best Director.

The Golden Globe….which is the award given by the press itself…awarded multiple awards to the movie and production team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back