Zone1 Critical Race Theory: Experiencing It As Cognitive Dissonance

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
It is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I recently saw a demonstration of how some people begin to mentally unravel when they come face to face with their own reality - it's called cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive Dissonance occurs when a person holds contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values, and is typically experienced as psychological stress when they participate in an action that goes against one or more of them. According to this theory, when two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person’s belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein they try to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort,​
Often times, the urge to maintain these beliefs which are grounded in faulty logic and fantasy compels the individual who has been challenged to shut down and/or lash out.
I've additionally seen individuals outright lie about things, make up stories as a deflection and then go on the offensive against the person who introduced the information which caused them to feel the discomfort.

Black people are often "scolded" about an alleged lack of education or an attitude of not valuing education. Having the courage to attend school in such a hostile and dangerous environment may be commendable but doing so places enormous stressors on a child's mental health. Anyone's mental health actually,

1658209684432.png

It is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I recently saw a demonstration of how some people begin to mentally unravel when they come face to face with their own reality - it's called cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive Dissonance occurs when a person holds contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values, and is typically experienced as psychological stress when they participate in an action that goes against one or more of them. According to this theory, when two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person’s belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein they try to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort,​
Often times, the urge to maintain these beliefs which are grounded in faulty logic and fantasy compels the individual who has been challenged to shut down and/or lash out.
I've additionally seen individuals outright lie about things, make up stories as a deflection and then go on the offensive against the person who introduced the information which caused them to feel the discomfort.

Black people are often "scolded" about an alleged lack of education or an attitude of not valuing education. Having the courage to attend school in such a hostile and dangerous environment may be commendable but doing so places enormous stressors on a child's mental health. Anyone's mental health actually,

View attachment 671739

You realize that CRT is not teaching about historical events like slavery, Ruby Bridges and the Civil Rights Movement yes? I have taught in schools that addressed all these topics for better than two decades and have never heard from, nor heard ABOUT, a single parent who was upset these issues were addressed. It's history.

With regard to critical race theory, it’s to maintain the wrongheaded belief and lie grounded in faulty logic and fantasy that the theory is ‘anti-white,’ ‘racist,’ and seeks to ‘shame’ white Americans – when in fact noting could be further from the truth.

This faulty logic is known as a confirmation bias fallacy, where lies and misinformation confirm or strengthen one’s beliefs, rendering such beliefs difficult to abandon; in this case the unwarranted hostility toward critical race theory and the meritless efforts to demonize and vilify the theory with false accusations that the theory is ‘racist’ or ‘anti-white.’

View attachment 671739
Its nothing, but the right ones think it is.

Here's the problem with this argument. If we focus on the trivia and not the broad strokes of history, then we aren't getting a fuller understanding of it, then we are failing teaching about it.

When I was in the service, my unit had custody of some vintage WWI German machine guns that were on their way to a museum, but they had to put them in my arms vault for a couple of days. So just for fun, I decided to ask the troops when WWI happened while they were signing out their weapons for a field exercise.

I think maybe one out of 10 got somewhere between 1914 and 1918. All wonderful products of public education, most of whom joined the military for college educations that would never happen.

The problem with Critical Race Theory is that it focuses on one stain on the tapestry of American History, without actually understanding the entire tapestry.

I have no problem with a "Warts and all" approach to history, but if you just focus on the warts, you won't get an appreciation of history overall. It just becomes a source of resentment.

You realize that CRT is not teaching about historical events like slavery, Ruby Bridges and the Civil Rights Movement yes? I have taught in schools that addressed all these topics for better than two decades and have never heard from, nor heard ABOUT, a single parent who was upset these issues were addressed. It's history.
CRT is not SUPPOSED to be about that, but these new laws are vague and poorly worded and conflate CRT with equality, diversity, inclusion. Anything that might make someone feel “uncomfortable”. A book on Ruby Bridges was one of the books some parents wanted removed.

View attachment 671739

1. I very rarely hear people talk about the idea "attitude of not valuing education".It does come up, but it is not a common point.

2. I learned about the Civil RIghts movement in public school in the 70s. And the resistance to it by segregationists and others.

Your point is false. When we talk about CRT, we are not saying we don't want slavery or segregation mentioned. We are saying we don't want them used to justify teaching anti-white racism or anti-Americanism.

CRT is not SUPPOSED to be about that, but these new laws are vague and poorly worded and conflate CRT with equality, diversity, inclusion. Anything that might make someone feel “uncomfortable”. A book on Ruby Bridges was one of the books some parents wanted removed.

Well. Many times DEI is just a bridge to CRT, or CRT "light", depending on how it's handled. And I would like to know what was specific to that book. If it's just a historical rendering I would have a problem with it being removed. History is history; it should not be changed (but care should be taken to teach it at the right age). But CRT, and often DEI, then makes moral judgments on how kids should live/behave TODAY to "right history's wrongs" or whatever. And frankly, that's not the school's business.

If leftists have their way, black kids will “graduate” from high school full of anger and resentment for whites, and whites will wrongly feel shame for something they themselves didn’t do - all the while less than half of them have even basic proficiency in math or English, and most of them totally unprepared for the working world, or college.

We already teach the history of slavery and the Civil Rights movement. If we add ANYTHING to the curriculum, it should be basic financial literacy, and then focus more on the academic subjects.

Libs really need to get their priorities straight, and stop screaming “raaaacist” at everyone who disagrees with them.

I can actually remember the Saturday Evening Post cover of that event. Very dramatic.

View attachment 671739
CRT isn't about learning history from any sort of dispassionate observer position....It's about judging people by skin color, and teaching whitey to be a self-loathing nihilist.

But thanks for the attempt at sub-amateur psychoanalysis.

PsychobabbleBias.jpg

When I was in the service, my unit had custody of some vintage WWI German machine guns that were on their way to a museum, but they had to put them in my arms vault for a couple of days. So just for fun, I decided to ask the troops when WWI happened while they were signing out their weapons for a field exercise.

I think maybe one out of 10 got somewhere between 1914 and 1918. All wonderful products of public education, most of whom joined the military for college educations that would never happen.
This is normal. I studied WWI for some 12 years (still do, occasionally) and volunteered to be a docent for the local library system with an exhibit on World War I, and I was amazed to find that pretty much one and all of the people who spoke to me conflated WWI with WWII.

Now, theoretically, I agree with that: it was all one long war from 1914 to 1945. With a 20-year hiatus, pretty common in long wars. If people keep fighting about the same issue that was never resolved (whether Germany was to rule all Europe was the issue of both WWI and WWII) then the war in question simply is not over. Same thing is going on right now with North Korea: that was an armistice, too, like WWI was, not a peace or a victory. An armistice is never a good sign: means the war isn't over.

However, that is kind of advanced 21st century history theorizing, and it wasn't what was going on in the library. These citizens simply didn't know about or forgot there was something designated WWI. Dates, people. Dates are important.

View attachment 671739
Nah. Rejecting a nonsense theory isn’t cognitive dissonance. That’s just you misapplying terms.

CRT isn't about learning history from any sort of dispassionate observer position....It's about judging people by skin color, and teaching whitey to be a self-loathing nihilist.

But thanks for the attempt at sub-amateur psychoanalysis.
Except CRT isn't being taught in schools.

What is being had are discussions about race, which like discussions about sexuality, upset a certain element of the population because it makes them uncomfortable.

Of course, the bottom line is, except for history geeks, most people just gloss their eyes in history class, the teacher teaches to the test, and people don't really retain a lot of it.

The bigger problem is, we are 157 years after the Civil War, and we are still having a debate about whether or not the Confederates were the bad guys or not.

If leftists have their way, black kids will “graduate” from high school full of anger and resentment for whites, and whites will wrongly feel shame for something they themselves didn’t do - all the while less than half of them have even basic proficiency in math or English, and most of them totally unprepared for the working world, or college.

Except if they are proficient in math or English, and they run into someone like you in admissions who just wants to allocate seats based on test scores and thinks there are too many black people on posters at your mall, they really didn't need to have a teacher tell them they live in a racist society.

Here's the thing. I've never owned a slave, never made anyone sit at the back of the bus, but it would be foolish to claim that I haven't benefited from the privileges of being white. Not that I endorse the views of some posters here who want to blame EVERYTHING on racism, that's just as bad.

Forum List

Back