cRAP and Hip-Hop Music

In the immortal words of Theodore Sturgeon: 90 percent of Everything is Crap.

I like music that reaches an inner vibe in me...regardless of the color of the musicians...and suspect most people are similar in this regard.

Which explains why rap/hip hop is popular among white teenagers, at least.
Some White teen-agers will emulate any fad. They will do anything to call attention to themselves.

The raison d'être of being a teenager is to drive one's parents crazy – what better way to accomplish that goal than to listen to music his parents despise.
It would be more accurate to refer to "rap" as poetry -- because that is what it is.

White music... so filthy...

White music is filthy? lol And cRAP and hip-hop is clean? Great lyrics about going out and killing crackers. If a White artist wrote violent lyrics about killing africans, he would be arrested. But alas there's that double standard again, that affirmative action, special treatment. cRAP and hip-hop is the most uncreative genre of music. It isn't even music, it's a thousand different songs with the same old tired synchronized music playing in the background. All the cRAP artists must have all chipped in a few dollars to buy the same music to use over and over again.

I will agree that one form of noise made by Whites which is called "heavy metal" can be called a filthy kind of audible pollution which is made by tormenting loud sounds from musical instruments and raving unintelligibly. I wouldn't call it music. Maniacal noise is a more accurate designation for what it really is. It sounds to me like inmates from the violent ward of a mental institution broke into a room where musical instruments are stored.

"Heavy Metal" and "Rap" are signs of our time which portend nothing good.

White music is filthy? lol And cRAP and hip-hop is clean? Great lyrics about going out and killing crackers. If a White artist wrote violent lyrics about killing africans, he would be arrested. But alas there's that double standard again, that affirmative action, special treatment. cRAP and hip-hop is the most uncreative genre of music. It isn't even music, it's a thousand different songs with the same old tired synchronized music playing in the background. All the cRAP artists must have all chipped in a few dollars to buy the same music to use over and over again.

I will agree that one form of noise made by Whites which is called "heavy metal" can be called a filthy kind of audible pollution which is made by tormenting loud sounds from musical instruments and raving unintelligibly. I wouldn't call it music. Maniacal noise is a more accurate designation for what it really is. It sounds to me like inmates from the violent ward of a mental institution broke into a room where musical instruments are stored.

Sorry, but I just have to do it! :lol: This song is AWESOME!

Sorry, but I just have to do it! :lol: This song is AWESOME!

It was a great concert!

I like ONE rap song....Gangsters In Paradise.

I HATE country western music. HATE it.

Totally dislike jazz. Smooth jazz is ok though.

I listen to Reggae a lot. Love it.

Classical is good too.

Rock and roll, of course I love it but rarely listen to it any more.

Swing is good. I listen to that once in awhile.

Mostly I am on Ambient. Like Enya, Sacred Spirit (love both cd's), and the like.

Totally with ya on "country". :puke: They play that at a stupormarket I frequent. I swear they're trying to drive me out of the store.

Ever notice a "country" singer can't sing on the note? They have to start way lower and gliiiiiide up.

On that "smooth jazz" though, I really wouldn't mind seeing Kenny G and David Sanborn crushed on shards of broken glass by a steamroller to the sounds of an Art Blakey drum solo. That would be a hoot. :D

It sounds like you do NOT like many genres of music. :D

Actually the only genres I can't take are what's called "country", and opera. The latter to me is just screeching mercilessly. Although I grew up on operetta and do appreciate that.

"Country", I make the distinction because it once was a very valid American music form that has been co-opted, whitewashed and dumbed down. Love Jimmie Rodgers, Hank WIlliams, those days --- I was the one called on to sing Jimmie Rodgers tunes in our band. But today it's an industry of corporate rock music with cowboy hats. I shy away from phony. And nothing reeks of "phony" more than what they laughingly call "country". Gimme something real, like Tish Hinojosa.

Bluegrass OTOH is a completely different gig. As opposed to country, you have to be a musician to play bluegrass. You have to leave your ego trip at the door and you damn well better be able to play and sing. In harmony. Not a place for posers. Bluegrass is the major leagues.

Aside from them I like a lot of indigenous music; I'm something of an expert on Brazilian music and Celtic, particularly Cape Breton music, which may be the most primal popular/commercial music I've ever heard. I've got probably one of the largest collections of French Quebecois music in the area, and ever go to Montréal without a cargo of more. Various folk styles, classical (DWEM - dead white European males), blues, all kinds of international music both indigenous and popular -- gamelan, Tuvan throat singing, East European cimbalom, you name it. In my years in broadcasting I featured all of these and more, and had to know them inside out. Even Cajun, although that doesn't do much for me unless it's creatively explored.

Jazz, now that's a whole 'nother world that has a wide expanse of sub-styles. You've got 'straight-ahead", be-bop. "cool", avant-garde, swing, all sorts of tastes in there. Some of the avant-garde can be, shall we say, challenging. That's just pushing the envelope to find out where the boundaries are. Can't know where the "line" is unless you walk across it. I'd lean more to Monk than Coltrane. Swing fucking rocks. :rock:

I grew up on rock and classical. Appreciated rock before it went corporate and suffered the same fate as country. So I went to look elsewhere. Found a lot. :thup:

The OP demonstrates the problem with absolutes, they're very seldom true. There's a lot of crap in every genre and some good even in the ones that aren't one's favorites, like hip-hop.

Nelly- Just A Dream

Even good ole country boys think so!

Nelly- Over And Over (ft.Tim McGraw)

Actually the only genres I can't take are what's called "country", and opera. The latter to me is just screeching mercilessly. Although I grew up on operetta and do appreciate that.[...]

Pogo,

Try this Diva on and let me know what you think.

"Country", I make the distinction because it once was a very valid American music form that has been co-opted, whitewashed and dumbed down. Love Jimmie Rodgers, Hank WIlliams, those days --- I was the one called on to sing Jimmie Rodgers tunes in our band. But today it's an industry of corporate rock music with cowboy hats.[...]

As for Country, I really like A Man Of Constant Sorrow. Is it considered Blue Grass?"

Last edited:
Actually the only genres I can't take are what's called "country", and opera. The latter to me is just screeching mercilessly. Although I grew up on operetta and do appreciate that.[...]

Pogo,

Try this Diva on and let me know what you think.

Pretty nice. At least until about 2:30 when she got screechy, Interesting that it's lip-synched. You don't usually see that in opera.
(interesting side note -- the video keeps playing while replying, a departure from the vBulletin software)

The music at least is very cool. I think one of the pitfalls of modern now a-go-go culture is that we just don't have the patience for it any more. Or for anything under about four minutes. Much is lost in that.

"Country", I make the distinction because it once was a very valid American music form that has been co-opted, whitewashed and dumbed down. Love Jimmie Rodgers, Hank WIlliams, those days --- I was the one called on to sing Jimmie Rodgers tunes in our band. But today it's an industry of corporate rock music with cowboy hats.[...]

As for Country, I really like A Man Of Constant Sorrow. Is it considered Blue Grass?"

No -- that would be for lack of a better term, American "folk", although it has a writer -- call it a precursor to "country" since it's 101 years old. Interestingly I think the first time I heard that song was by Ginger Baker's Air Force.

Here's a good bluegrass number, albeit instrumental (go to 0:48 to skip past the intro - you know, the patience thing agian....)

Whether vocal or instrumental, bluegrass always emphasizes musicality, as opposed to a focus on the story in the lyric. A ballad like "Man of Constant Sorrow" is more about the story.

Last edited:
Here's a good bluegrass number, albeit instrumental (go to 0:48 to skip past the intro - you know, the patience thing agian....)

Whether vocal or instrumental, bluegrass always emphasizes musicality, as opposed to a focus on the story in the lyric. A ballad like "Man of Constant Sorrow" is more about the story.

Good music. Excellent musicians!

I don't know classical music enough to be familiar with many of them, but I really like this one. I am familiar with Valentina though, and she is an amazing pianist.

That is one of my favorites -- and Valentina has magic hands.

I think you might like this:

Good music. Excellent musicians!

Ain't that great? It's like baseball, everybody gets a turn at bat. :)
That's a group of semi-stars - the bass player Sharon Gilchrist is a pretty good mandolin player herself, plays with Tony Rice and others, and the guitar player to the right is Mike Auldridge who's been a big name in that scene since the '70s. Neither of them took a solo, just supporting.

I don't know classical music enough to be familiar with many of them, but I really like this one. I am familiar with Valentina though, and she is an amazing pianist.

That is one of my favorites -- and Valentina has magic hands.

I've seen her before -- keep thinking it's Rick Wakeman. :beer:

Lovely piece. My dad used to play that like every night, in C minor.

I think you might like this:

:clap2: Another winner. At one time I used to put that piece on late at night to rest. I never heard the end of it because it always put me to sleep. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back