Cost of living

CrazedScotsman

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2012
How much has your cost of living gone up over the last year?

I can only speak for my household living in Southeastern Indiana and have to think its the same for everyone else in my little area of the State.

Our food costs have risen quite a bit over the last year. What we could buy for $150.00 now costs us just over $200.00.

Gas for our vehicle has gone up, but I suspect most of that has to do with the vehicle getting older. Maybe it's time to buy a new, more fuel efficient vehicle if we can save up enough.

Our water bill has risen as well, but not as drastically as everything else. I attribute this rise to normal inflation. Oh, and the fact that both our oldest and second oldest had to move back in with us.

The biggest rise in expense has been our electric bill. Compared to last years electric bills, it's almost doubled. Everything in our home is electric, everything is and our bill, compared to last years $300.00 bill is a staggering $570.00. That's a $270.00 increase and I just don't get it. What's worse is if there are new regulations imposed on electric companies, the cost is going to go up even more.

Why would our government, both Democrats and Republicans, allow this to happen? Why are they trying to price everything out of existence? It makes no sense.

Last edited:
I've actually seen food costs go down or hold steady this past year. They have not risen anywhere near like they did the year before that.

But rather than make the foolish error of accepting anecdotes as "evidence" that one's political bias is correct, let's use actual facts: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?ap

We find the price of oil dropped year over year, as did gasoline, bread, milk, apples, bananas, orange juice, and coffee (which I definitely noticed).

Ground chuck went up 12 cents a pound. Chicken went up 4 cents/lb. Eggs, 2 cents/lb.

Electricity has risen slower than inflation. The people telling you it has skyrocketed are full of shit.

Last edited:
The electricity industry itself says the same thing:
As with virtually all other goods, the price of electricity has risen over the years. Underlying factors affecting this upward trend include higher prices for generating fuel (e.g. coal), the need for new infrastructure, and environmental concerns. Compared to other goods, the increase in electricity prices has been relatively low.

AEP.com - Rising Cost Of Electricity

Like I said, anecdotes aren't worth shit. I have provided evidence your anecdotes ARE shit. This is at least the third topic in two weeks trying to peddle this shit. You guys are all on the same email list, with big firebells above your beds to alert you to the latest missive from Puppet Masters HQ.

This shit doesn't float.

Provide evidence electricity prices have "surged" or stop drinking the piss.

You deserve to be lied to.

Last edited:
Google "electricity prices surge".

Go ahead.

Click on the first link.

As with virtually all other goods, the price of electricity has risen over the years. Underlying factors affecting this upward trend include higher prices for generating fuel (e.g. coal), the need for new infrastructure, and environmental concerns. Compared to other goods, the increase in electricity prices has been relatively low.

More recently, this trend has reversed, due largely to poor economic conditions. However, it is expected that once the economy recovers, electricity demand and prices will once again climb.

Enough people have taken notice of rising food prices and started home gardens that it's becoming a matter of deep concern to the Obama regime. Concern that they've been overlooking a revenue enhancement possibility.

So the proposal.....consider savings through home-growing as "imputed income". It would require anyone engaging in home gardening to account for the costs of their seed, fertilizer, pesticides (that one is in dispute) as deductible expenses. Deductible against the imputed income. Whazz that? Imputed income is the value of the food grown as though you had to buy it in a store. Regardless whether you consume it yourself, give any excess to neighbors or whether it rots before you can pick it. The value of the veggies minus the costs becomes taxable income. To be counted as ordinary income, so adding to your "adjusted gross Income" and therefore not only taxable but increasing your AGI so you're taxed at a higher rate.

I don't think it'll fly as Moochelle would have to pay tax on the produce from The Great White House Sharecropper Garden - unless she could figure out a way to make YOU pay it for her.

Prices of commodities depend on availability. Here in Fl, meat's a little up, groceries down, even though I've quit shopping at Wal Mart. Gas is 50 cents lower than last year, my mortgage hasn't change, homeowner's insurance hasn't changed, car insurance went down.

Thanks Obama!

I didn't say anything about electric. But if you must know my bill is all the evidence i need to see it has surged.

I can only speak for my household living in Southeastern Indiana and have to think its the same for everyone else in my little area of the State.

Our food costs have risen quite a bit over the last year. What we could buy for $150.00 now costs us just over $200.00.

Gas for our vehicle has gone up, but I suspect most of that has to do with the vehicle getting older. Maybe it's time to buy a new, more fuel efficient vehicle if we can save up enough.

Our water bill has risen as well, but not as drastically as everything else. I attribute this rise to normal inflation. Oh, and the fact that both our oldest and second oldest had to move back in with us.

The biggest rise in expense has been our electric bill. Compared to last years electric bills, it's almost doubled. Everything in our home is electric, everything is and our bill, compared to last years $300.00 bill is a staggering $570.00. That's a $270.00 increase and I just don't get it. What's worse is if there are new regulations imposed on electric companies, the cost is going to go up even more.

Why would our government, both Democrats and Republicans, allow this to happen? Why are they trying to price everything out of existence? It makes no sense.

You should seriously think about installing a natural gas furnace. Or if you're in the boonies, a propane job. And switch to CFL bulbs.

I document every penny I spend on food each month and would say what I used to spend $100.00 on, it now costs me $60.00 more and that doesn't take into account the downsized packaging ( getting less for more ) and buying mostly store brands instead of preferred brands.

You should seriously think about installing a natural gas furnace. Or if you're in the boonies, a propane job. And switch to CFL bulbs.

Or as a commercial back on the east coast used to say:

"Go Modern!"

"Go Gas!"

"Go BOOOOOMMMMM!"

It was broadcast heavily within an hour or so of each time a home was destroyed by a gas explosion. Paid for by a coal company - "The only safe home heat".

And as to those CFLs......Every child deserves a little mercury in its life. Don't be the last on your block to enliven your home life with brightly shinking poison gas bomblets in every room!

I document every penny I spend on food each month and would say what I used to spend $100.00 on, it now costs me $60.00 more and that doesn't take into account the downsized packaging ( getting less for more ) and buying mostly store brands instead of preferred brands.

what? It cannot be true. Anyone who disagrees with g5000 is peddling shit and drinking piss. You must be mistaken. :lol:

Clearly g5000 has potty issues. He mentions "piss and shit" in every thread.... :cuckoo:

The price of rice has doubled in the last three years but, as luck would have it, I work really hard so I get large pay rises.
That means I don't have to care and it saves me loads of moaning on internet forums.

Prices of commodities depend on availability. Here in Fl, meat's a little up, groceries down, even though I've quit shopping at Wal Mart. Gas is 50 cents lower than last year, my mortgage hasn't change, homeowner's insurance hasn't changed, car insurance went down.

Thanks Obama!

your bill for $55,000 will be arriving shortly...

UN-National-debt-clock.jpg

EPA regulations are causing electricity bills to increase. Congress did not debate or vote on any EPA regulations. Obama gets full credit for any price increases due to the new EPA rules. Obama had said a few years ago that our bills would necessarily skyrocket as his administration came down on coal plants.

The liberal EPA chief was appointed by Obama so she could push cap and trade through the back door.

Groceries are up, like virtually everything else. Part inflation and part because it just costs more to ship and new laws have made employees a liability. Between Obamacare and rising gas prices, it costs more for businesses to keep things in stock and the overhead cost of doing business is up.

It hurts us little people that Dems pretend to support.

Last edited:

Why is it anyone else's fault that you own a completely electric house? Get a gas water heater (or alternatively, a passive solar water heater), and a gas furnace. Increase the insulation in your home. If you have single pane windows, replace them with double pane windows which will save you a lot of heating and air conditioning expense. And above all, turn the lights out when you leave a room, turn the thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer.

So, this is how you keep your figure so slim? :)

Forum List

Back