Coronavirus and the Environment

Grace Is Stoked

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2019
Over the past few months there has been an obvious decline of fossil fuel production, fossil fuel usage, fossil fuel needs, and other forms of emissions that contribute to both pollution and climate change all due to the coronavirus lockdowns. In China is something like a near 25% reduction in emissions alone, and although there hasn't been a study for the world as a whole or even for the US I don't believe to measure the impact scientists and researchers are thinking that in just these short months there has been significant impact on emissions which is awesome news despite all of the hardships. That being said it had me wondering if there is a way to have a similar positive impact on the environment but without the economic hardships that lockdowns create and without the fear and pain that the virus created?

Once life gets back to normal around the country the reductions that were seen during the lockdowns will obviously rebound back to where they were, if not higher, but the result from staying at home was noticeable and could be repeatable. Could it be reasonably planned periodically throughout the year, possibly even done by rotating regionally as well, to have a stay at home order for one month per year? A small tax could even be created either through sales tax (preferred) or income tax that would be reserved in that state just to help as a reserve fund for business and worker assistance during that time frame. Companies could plan for it if they knew the month that they are slated for closure and could set up ways for employees to work from home, and if they can't then the new fund would help keep them buoyant for that month. Schools would be closed along with some other things but it wouldn't be such a shock since it would be planned and funded to an extent.

I'm sure this will be ripped on here but we've seen that significant impacts can be accomplished while people stay at home and only venture out when necessary. I am not advocating for draconian measures or arrests or anything like that but to me it stands a reason that we could take the possibly one good thing that came from all of this and turn it into an real opportunity to heal the planet. It's just a thought, but seemed interesting as I was thinking it through this morning.

No. That wouldn't be reasonable and it's probably illegal. It's also political suicide for anyone attempting to try it and largely unenforceable. In the end, it would do little to achieve your goals in comparison to the damage it does since no other country would likely follow suit. Sounds like a shower thought. We all have them.

I'm guessing you are really young so I'll just it's a nice sentiment that would have disastrous consequences.

I’m 27. The thought is that since it would be potentially planned and prepared for financially and psychologically that it wouldn’t have the harmful consequences and impacts that the current stay at home order has caused around the country.

Could it be reasonably planned periodically throughout the year, possibly even done by rotating regionally as well, to have a stay at home order for one month per year?

Hell no

You want to do this bullshit intentionally???

Fuck the poor right? Fuck the middle class? Fuck the businesses that are barely surviving as it is?

How bout FUCK YOU

I'm guessing you are really young so I'll just it's a nice sentiment that would have disastrous consequences.

I’m 27. The thought is that since it would be potentially planned and prepared for financially and psychologically that it wouldn’t have the harmful consequences and impacts that the current stay at home order has caused around the country.
Most of the population lives paycheck to paycheck. Small businesses couldnt survive.
People would freak out.
And I'm no scientist but considering we only contribute 3 to 5 percent of co2 into the atmosphere it wouldnt be worth it. Not by a long shot.

Over the past few months there has been an obvious decline of fossil fuel production, fossil fuel usage, fossil fuel needs, and other forms of emissions that contribute to both pollution and climate change all due to the coronavirus lockdowns. In China is something like a near 25% reduction in emissions alone, and although there hasn't been a study for the world as a whole or even for the US I don't believe to measure the impact scientists and researchers are thinking that in just these short months there has been significant impact on emissions which is awesome news despite all of the hardships. That being said it had me wondering if there is a way to have a similar positive impact on the environment but without the economic hardships that lockdowns create and without the fear and pain that the virus created?

Once life gets back to normal around the country the reductions that were seen during the lockdowns will obviously rebound back to where they were, if not higher, but the result from staying at home was noticeable and could be repeatable. Could it be reasonably planned periodically throughout the year, possibly even done by rotating regionally as well, to have a stay at home order for one month per year? A small tax could even be created either through sales tax (preferred) or income tax that would be reserved in that state just to help as a reserve fund for business and worker assistance during that time frame. Companies could plan for it if they knew the month that they are slated for closure and could set up ways for employees to work from home, and if they can't then the new fund would help keep them buoyant for that month. Schools would be closed along with some other things but it wouldn't be such a shock since it would be planned and funded to an extent.

I'm sure this will be ripped on here but we've seen that significant impacts can be accomplished while people stay at home and only venture out when necessary. I am not advocating for draconian measures or arrests or anything like that but to me it stands a reason that we could take the possibly one good thing that came from all of this and turn it into an real opportunity to heal the planet. It's just a thought, but seemed interesting as I was thinking it through this morning.

Jesus H Christ that's dumb! This fucking climate change save the planet crap is for imbeciles. First off the left can shove this tax (and any tax) right up their ass with a hot poker, clear? Second, there's no magical replacement for fossil fuels that the poor and middle class can afford. And while the dumb shit left destroy the USA with this crap the rest of the world will be only too happy to continue using fossil fuels. FFS people.

OK but consider that nearly half the country does not pay Federal income tax. That indicates a large percentage of the country does not make much money. A one month hiatus on pay would be very painful to tens of millions of Americans planned or not.

OK but consider that nearly half the country does not pay Federal income tax. That indicates a large percentage of the country does not make much money. A one month hiatus on pay would be very painful to tens of millions of Americans planned or not.
I think what she is proposing is an income tax increase and/or new sales tax for things like unemployment benefits and stimulus checks; not necessarily month long layoffs.

Great idea, let's shut down for 1 month a year based on the same faulty "science" models and predictions that screwed up everything on COVID-19. :hellno:

I like where OP’s heart is at, but I don’t think it’s practical.

Electric cars and nuclear power would be an amazing solution to a lot of pollution issues.

It wouldn't necessarily be unpaid though because the potential new tax that I mentioned would be what in theory helps fund the initiative. The stay at home goal wouldn't be as large scale as the current one is but the goal would be to encourage companies that are able to have employees work from home to do that, schools would switch to online learning or simply take the time off so that the students can spend time with family. Social distancing, masks, and other health related concerns for this current lockdown would obviously not be part of all of this. I guess in my opinion it sort of brings the country into a state of simplicity with resource conservation and environmental health the main focus for a relatively short amount of time in order to give our environment a bit of breather.

Forum List

Back